Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New Moderator GrahamE  (Read 1315 times)

• Liked: 24
New Moderator GrahamE
« on: February 05, 2004, 10:16:10 AM »
A big thank you to Graham for consenting to moderate here, and to LisaE for tipping me off that he'd be up for it. ;) Graham is quite the jetsetter, traveling often for business and pleasure, so we'll benefit from his experience. :)

(After he agreed to moderate this gentle and quiet board, I decided to keep him on his toes by changing the Board to Travel & Transportation, which will include .... driving topics. ;) )

Sorry Graham, and thank you!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: New Moderator GrahamE
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:45:09 PM »
Welcome Graham!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »
oh, I see a new moderator...welcome aboard Graham... good to have you here.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 03:08:49 PM »
Oh boy driving!!!  any pointers on how to gain depth perception?
Long story!  

WELCOME GRAHAM!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »
Welcome aboard, Graham!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 05:01:09 PM »
Thanks, Leah; thanks folks.

I'm aware that I might just be "LisaE's husband" to some of you ... so I'll post up a bit of a bio tonight ... I just caught the thread now in a gap in a class I'm teaching ....
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »
Thank you Graham! And CONGRATS!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 07:04:03 PM »
Congrats Graham! :D

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 08:09:56 PM »
Welcome aboard Graham!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 09:27:18 PM »
Goodness ... thanks for all the welcomes, folks!  I see from my profile that I registered here on 9th July 2002, and I've been a supporter and regular reader since.  I'm sure you'll all be more familiar with Lisa, my wife (LisaE) who has been around longer and posts a great deal more.  She's the American half of the couple, and I'm the Brit. We met 1996, and Lisa moved over and we married in 1998. We both enjoy travelling, and worked out that we were away about once a month last year.  This time last week, I was waiting to board a flight in Denver; this time last month, we were in San Diego; this time last year - I can't remember - it seems a very long time ago ;)

I've always enjoyed travelling. With school, I made a trip to Moscow. In my late teens, I travelled extensively by public transport in the UK (and I still prefer to go by train or bus when practical). Various jobs have had me driving up to 30000 miles a year (on both sides of the road!) and these days .. well .. you see my "flying record" above!  I'm getting to that stage of life where asking me a question will start me telling you a story (and these days pointing you to URLs with related information too); please feel free to encourage me.

What else to tell? Lisa and I work from home - we run a training business on niche computer languages from here and we're on line pretty much every morning and evening and often in between too.  I know that some of the folks who's posted a welcome note has been here and I hope we'll see others in due course (and repeat visits too ;-) ) if you happen to be down our way.
-- Graham

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 09:06:17 AM »
I wanted to add my own welcome as well. Graham has been very much involved in the UKY community since I started, though more behind the scenes. He's also been a huge supporter of my own involvement, and that's something that has helped me tremendously in my settlement here.

Graham is a great question answerer. And he comes up with solutions that one doesn't always think of first. He's a natural for this board and I'm really pleased he accepted the position...and thanks to Leah for recognizing that he'd be great for the job!

It was with a travel question that may have started our relationship off, actually. I needed to get from point A to point B and at a time that was incredibly awkward, to catch a plane.
    I was in a pub two nights before I was to leave my first visit to England and someone casually asked me "When is your flight?"...
    My answer caused the entire room to shudder. "Wha...?" Turns out that my plan wasn't exactly going to work. Then came a slewful of suggestions, pouring out from everywhere. I wanted to put my hands over my ears and run out the door screaming. Well, I did sort of do that. I ran to the nearest phone box and called Graham, the voice of reason I'd met a few days earlier. "Help!" I cried.
    "Let me have a think and I'll get back with you," he calmly said. And he phoned back within five minutes, apparently seated at a table with all sorts of timetable books in front of him.
    Things that don't go as originally planned are not always the worst-case scenario. The twist of fate that happened next is something that changed my life. I'll let Graham tell you what happened next.  ;)

I don't expect your travel questions here to have such a dramatic difference in your life, but Graham is good at solving AtoB problems and he does know timetables almost to the point of memorization.

Congratulations sweetie  :-*

Modified for spelling errors
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:11:01 AM by Lisa »
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 09:46:58 AM »
Goodness - thanks for that Lisa;  I don't take on a role that involves checking something frequently unless I know it's something that interests me (that's not just me being selfish - it's also me ensuring that I give a good service) but, yes, this particular subject is peculiarly right for me.

And Lisa asked me to conclude the story .... "And they lived happily ever after".

The challenge set was for Lisa to attend a dinner at King John's remote old hunting lodge at St. Briavels, South Wales on Tuesday evening (where Lisa was staying) and be on the 10:30 flight the next morning out of Gatwick (160 miles away, on different transport arteries). The solution offered and accepted involved me attending the dinner and driving us both to my home town afterwards, then dropping Lisa off at a station with a direct train to Gatwick the following morning.  The rest is history  :D
-- Graham

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 04:18:23 PM »
Welcome Graham ... your vast knowledge of travel will be greatly appreciated .... thanks for taking part.  :)  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 04:27:49 PM »
Sorry I'm late with my congratulations - good luck here but it sounds like you've got this down pat.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab