Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Louvre  (Read 1083 times)

Louvre
« on: February 05, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »
 Iam finally reading The Da Vinci Code ;D. For those who have read the  book knows , the world famous  Louvre museum (Paris) is the subject(start of book).

I have been to France but not Paris yet.We will be in Paris on our way back to England,and I was wondering if anyone has been to the museum?I went online to read about it  and it looked so cool!We have been to the museums in London of course,and I know that this would be a great one to visit,and Amber would really like it too :D

So if anyone has any thoughts or  suggestions etc... about Louvre,Id love to hear about them.

Cheers!
   Rhia

• Liked: 0
Re: Louvre
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »
I've been - but that was back when I was 16. All I cared about was the nightime activity  :-/ I remember that it was quite interesting though - took pictures and all! That book is next on my buy/borrow list!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 07:30:11 PM »
I've been to the Louvre 3 times and still haven't seen it all - but I haven't been there in 8 years. I absolutely ADORED it and can't wait to get back eventually! My thoughts/suggestion is to GO GO GO! :)
And wear comfortable shoes. ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 08:08:14 PM »
We went last spring, so not quite a year ago.  HUGE place.  Depending upon what you want to see will depend on how much time you end up spending there.  There's just so much, you really need a whole day.  But if there's just certain rooms you want to see, plan it out and you can probably make it through in a couple hours.  Wednesdays they're open late and you can get a reduced ticket in after 3 pm.  Kids/students are free.  They do have a cafe there as well as a couple of gift shops.  Most the books you find are in French though and I thought most of the stuff the gift shop offered was a bit too high ticket for a museum, but whatever.  They do allow cameras which I thought was odd, but I guess it's no big deal to them.  Lots of folks taking pics of the Mona Lisa and Venus De Milo.  The Greek room was one of my favs!  

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 09:16:19 AM »
I loved the fact they allowed cameras, but I too thought it was odd! They have pay machines for admittance and I think the price is half, just as elle mentioned, in the afternoon.

Just might be a thought to find their web site and plan it, as elle suggested. It's massive, and you'll never see it in one day. So, if your time is limited, pick and choose.

The Louvre
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 09:20:04 AM »
When we were there last year we got in for free. Turned out entry was free on the first Sunday of the month. I have no idea if they still do that, but it is worth looking into. Like the others have said there is no way to see it all in one day!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 10:38:01 AM »
When we were there last year we got in for free. Turned out entry was free on the first Sunday of the month. I have no idea if they still do that, but it is worth looking into. Like the others have said there is no way to see it all in one day!

This is still the case! My husband and I went a few years ago and had a great time!  We'd definitely recommend the Medieval Louvre exhibit, the Egyptian, the Greek, and the sculptures! They had a great history of the book exhibit, too- great stuff! Funnily enough, we weren't all that impressed with the Mona Lisa...I know they have to keep it in a reasonably dim area to preserve the painting, but it was crowded and difficult to see. My favourite painting was Vermeer's The Lacemaker- gorgeous!

I agree with LisaE- take a took at their website! You can take a virtual tour and it will help you to plan your route. I know we missed stuff because we didn't have a plan!

Jen

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 03:45:09 PM »
Thank you Lisa for the link,and everyone  for the suggestions and  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I also told G that I couldnt believe you was allowed to bring in cameras :o.I think I will take everyone's advise and either have a whole day set aside or just limit the viewings  :)It really all depends on how much time we have in Paris going over.Plz everyone keep their fingers crossed for me,that we will be able to go then not later ;)

Iam so excited about it!

Sponsored Links