Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Im so stressed, How do I go about marrying a brit?  (Read 1078 times)

Im so stressed, How do I go about marrying a brit?
« on: November 17, 2006, 06:11:05 PM »
First time poster here.

So I'll run thru the story of me first: A theme not uncommon to this site, I fell in love with a brit.  Im a 21 year old american girl. We've been in a relationship for a while, we've seen each other in person several times for weeks at a time, we love each other... and wish to marry... however upon looking into it it seems nearly impossible! Im near the end of my rope, and everytime I think on the subject I cry. I dont know what to do mostly because I dont fully understand these visa rules.

So Im here out of desperation because I simply dont know what to do. I started reading through the forums trying to find a post much like the one Im making, with all the info I need, but I noticed my heart racing and chest tightening... so I thought I'd post to save myself an increase in blood pressure.

I truly wish I hadnt been so ignorant, im 26 days from flying over to spend 6 weeks with him, and it looks like from whats required no marriage this time around.  :\\\'(

so here come the questions:

1.From what I understand, there are only three places you can apply for visas in the US: New York, Chicago, and LA.  Do you have to be physically present at these locations or can you mail all the information in?

2. What information is required to send in? I read a post thats recent on a lady who put together an entire binder of information. From what I understand, the following is required, and please... CORRECT ME IF I MISSED ANYTHING!

-my passport
-his passport
-copy of my ss card
-copy of his ID card
-copy of both driver licenses
-my birth certificate
- his birth certificate
- proof that we've met (ie photos, plane ticket stubs, emails and phone records?)
-A bank statement from each of us
- A letter of sponsorship from him
-a letter of intent from me
-a letter of intent from him
- My pay stubs
-A letter from his employer stating how much he makes
-My resume
- The visa application
-the passport sized photos

Anything I missed? this is the topic I was viewing: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=29754.0

Do I assemble this all into a binder? He already has a flat, do I have to sign anything regarding a lease before I come over if we are going to stay there until marriage and then find a place of our own?

3. After getting the fiance visa, going over to the UK and marrying him, what then? can I apply for whichever visa allows me to live there on a permenant basis as his wife right away?

4. After I marry him and we are husband and wife, can I start looking for a job? (Or do I  need yet another visa??? I read on another site that once youre married there are no restrictions on your ability to search and find work)

5. If I do need another visa to live and work after marrying him, can I apply for this asap (before the 6months on the fiance visa are up) from inside the UK or do I have to go back to the US and do this all over again?

6. If I go over on a fiance visa, should it be a one way ticket? Should I plan on actually staying there as a resident and as a wife of a UK citizen?

7. Is there a place in the UK much like vegas here where you can go get married instantly with almost no barriers? Would it be easier for him to come to the US and we go to vegas ? would that work?

Any help will be much appreciated, this visa thing is turning what should be magical and blissful into a screaming nightmare. I guess we can spend some of this upcoming 6 weeks together putting all of this in order.

-Nicky

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:14:52 PM by Trickynicky42 »

• Liked: 0
Re: Im so stressed, How do I go about marrying a brit?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:35:04 PM »
First of all, relax.  From what you've posted here this seems like an absolutely straightforward case and you shouldn't have any visa problems at all!  Once you get a handle on what's required, the process is really quite simple.  Don't worry, you'll get over there and be married sooner or later. :)

I'll help with the questions as best I can.

1.From what I understand, there are only three places you can apply for visas in the US: New York, Chicago, and LA.  Do you have to be physically present at these locations or can you mail all the information in?
No, you don't have to be at the consulates in person.  You can mail your documents to the appropriate consulate for your state and you'll get your visa back in about 1-2 weeks.

2. What information is required to send in? I read a post thats recent on a lady who put together an entire binder of information. From what I understand, the following is required, and please... CORRECT ME IF I MISSED ANYTHING!

Do I assemble this all into a binder? He already has a flat, do I have to sign anything regarding a lease before I come over if we are going to stay there until marriage and then find a place of our own?
Doesn't really matter how you present it as long as it's neat and organized.  If he's already got a flat, you'll need a letter from the landlord stating that you're allowed to live there. I'm not going to comment on your list of supporting documents because I haven't applied for a fiance/spousal visa. :)

3. After getting the fiance visa, going over to the UK and marrying him, what then? can I apply for whichever visa allows me to live there on a permenant basis as his wife right away?
yes, you can. you'll be applying for Further Leave to Remain [FLR(M)], which is not permanent but lasts two years.  Once you have that, you can work.  After the two years you'll apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which will allow you to stay in the UK permanently.

4. After I marry him and we are husband and wife, can I start looking for a job? (Or do I  need yet another visa??? I read on another site that once youre married there are no restrictions on your ability to search and find work)
As above, you'll need FLR before you can work. Once you've got that you're good to go and can do pretty much any kind of job you like.  It's also worth noting that if you come over on a spousal visa (for example if you get married in the States and then move to the UK), then you'll be allowed to work immediately and won't have to deal with getting FLR. (Spouse visa is for 2 years just like FLR, and also leads straight to ILR.)

5. If I do need another visa to live and work after marrying him, can I apply for this asap (before the 6months on the fiance visa are up) from inside the UK or do I have to go back to the US and do this all over again?
You can apply for FLR as soon as you are married (and definitely you need to do it before the fiancee visa expires.)  You do not have to go back to the US to do this and can make an application from within the UK.

6. If I go over on a fiance visa, should it be a one way ticket? Should I plan on actually staying there as a resident and as a wife of a UK citizen?
One way tickets are fine.  As soon as you arrive on a fiancee visa you are considered a UK resident.

7. Is there a place in the UK much like vegas here where you can go get married instantly with almost no barriers? Would it be easier for him to come to the US and we go to vegas ? would that work?
Nope- to get married in the UK as a non citizen/permanent resident you need some sort of visa or special permission.  Can't go to Vegas here, I'm afraid. ;)  Getting married in the US is a lot easier because your guy can come over here and get married as a visitor (as long as he's planning on settling in the UK, which you guys are.) 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:45:24 PM by Andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Location: Dallas to Manchester to Austin TX to Tulsa OK to Manchester UK
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Would it be easier for him to come to the US and we go to vegas ? would that work?

You don't even have to go to Vegas. Your local courthouse should work just fine. I do not have experience with the fiance visa, but I have heard that it is more expensive to get married in the UK. I am not sure, but I think that in order to get the fiance visa, you have to show proof/ evidence of your wedding plans in advance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

From what I understand, it is pretty easy to get a fiance visa (as long as everything checks out with your docs, accommodation & support.) However, from personal experience I know it is super easy to do the spousal visa.

DH & I got married unexpectedly on his first trip to visit me in TX. This was August 2000. We decided Friday to get married Tuesday. He went back to the UK a week later, I did the spousal visa and went out there November 2000.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
The stress is the killer. I stressed for 6 months strait. I thought of nothing but, my wife (She's a Brit, we were married in West Virgina, by a judge who looked like Elvis.) I thought of nothing but the Visa, and the documentation. My main worry was the finical side, I had that covered by a co-sponsor. Turns out we did it within are own merits. Almost made myself crazy worrying about it. Sleepless night, unable to eat. I know this is cheering you up?? Take heart, worrying is the hardest part. Get all your stuff, make a check list. Check it 2000 times. YOU WILL BE FINE. Say it. "We will be fine"

Now don't worry............................................ ................................................. .
                     Joe

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. it helps alot.

Are you saying that if my boyfriend were to just come to the US without any visa at all we could get married ?

And do you need evidence of wedding plans? what if youre going to the courthouse?

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:49 PM »
you can get married in the US without a visa, provided you do not plan to reside in the US with your new husband.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:39:58 PM »
how can you prove you arent going to stay?

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »
If your fiance can provide things that tie him to the UK he should be fine. Mortgage, lease, letter from employer, car payments... anything of the sort. And there isn't really anyone he needs to prove it to unless an immigration officer questions his motives. He doesn't need to apply for anything. He would just fly over like a normal tourist and away you go.

My husband is English and I'm American. We decided to get married in Jamaica. He flew into the US first and the immigration officer asked him why he was in the US and he was completely honest and he said that the two of us were going to go get married in Jamaica. They asked him if he was planning on settling here and he informed them no, that we would be living in England and it was no problem at all.

After you two are married you can apply for a spousal visa and once that is approved you can live and work in the UK just like anyone else :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:42:22 PM by Kayla »
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:59:26 PM »
steve was honest too to the immigration guy when he came to America in october for our wedding. he told the guy that he didn't need a visa - the immigration officer thought he did (steve knew more than he did about US immigration!). He asked his boss and sure enough, Steve was let in, no problems. He did have a letter from his employer stating he was expected back to work in case they questioned him though, just to be safe. It's a good idea to have something like that with you if he's coming in and getting married in the states. We have now settled in the UK :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
I was/am in the same position and I know exactly what you mean - chest tightening, tears welling, head exploding etc. :) 
Trust me, take a deep breath and it will all be ok.
First, thank the Gods above that you found this forum - FAR more useful than the confusing government sites and perfect for the most important thing of all:
showing you that it CAN be done, it HAS been done, and you can and WILL do it too.
Second, try here:
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/articles_show_nt1.asp?i=65035&L1=41000&a=41033
so far it seems to be the government site that spells it out the most and you can connect to the application itself.
That one is the Spouse Visa because I, like most everyone on this site, highly suggest that route.
In fact, based entirely on the advice of this forum, I scrapped my fiance visa plans and am getting married when he comes for Thanksgiving (next week!!).
The forms for fiance and spouse are nearly the same so if you can get married over here (here= US)it saves you one whole application hassle and you can begin working and living your lovely life as soon as you get there.
I know I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said but it really can't be said enough - IT WILL ALL BE OK!!
The problem is jumping straight to the end result and getting tangled in the restrictions in the way.  Start at the beginning, go to www.britainusa.com and www.ukvisas.gov.uk and come back to this forum when you get stuck.
And good luck!
And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »
Are you saying that if my boyfriend were to just come to the US without any visa at all we could get married ?

And do you need evidence of wedding plans? what if youre going to the courthouse?

Correct and its cheaper (not counting the flights of course) as you don't have to apply for a fiance visa.  Once you are married you can either send all your documents to the embassy for your Spousal Visa or as Andrea and I did, stopped off in NYC and applied in person (you need an appointment).

Good luck

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
We got married in the states.  It seemed to be so much easier than going the fiancee visa route. 

Here's a web site you should really explore.  It will tell all that's required of you for visas of all sorts.

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/

Good luck!
New Mexican, Texan, Californian living in Derbyshire!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab