Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: fiancee visa, so many questions  (Read 1998 times)

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
fiancee visa, so many questions
« on: February 09, 2004, 06:38:41 PM »
hello everyone!
I am new to this forum and it seems like a great resource.  My fiancee is British and I am American and we are working on getting me a visa to go live with him in London.  The process is very intimidating and the information I have found about it seems to be very contradictory.  I have so many questions and would appreciate any advice people can offer.

As for getting the visa is it best to go the Consulate Office in person?  I have heard this is the most efficient; however, I am in Florida and the cloest office is in New York.  I don't mind the trip if it is better to go in person and so I don't worry from the time I send out the documents to the time I get them back.  Has anyone had good or bad experiances with mailing the application versus going in person?

My fiancee is a student and I recently finished my Master's Degree.  I have some savings and he doesn't have much.  His mom is willing to be a financial sponsor, will this be alright?

His grandfather is may be willing to put down his house as our accomadation, but he lives in the North and my fiancee attends university in London.  We plan to find our own flat immediatly anyway.  Will there be a problem with the different locations or is it legitimate to put somewhere far from where he goes to uni as his permanent residence?

Some of the information I have gotten from the Consulate says that we must find permanent accomadation that is NOT a shared flat, but which we must occupy exclusively.  Is this stricly enforced?  We were hoping to find a flat to share with a friend.

I have read about the difference between a notice of marriage by certificate versus by lisence, whereas by certificate is less expensive but takes a longer waiting time and the liscence is more expensive and there is less waiting time.  we want to get married asap so i am able to work.  does anyone know the prices and pros and cons of either of these?

To have my visa changed from a fiancee visa to a spouse visa I know we have to go to the IND office in Croyden.  Do We have to pay another visa fee or is it simply changed?  I have read on one site that you don't have to pay again, but read on another that you do.  Has anyone done it recently and could advise?

Is it possible to go and have the visa changed in person in Croyden in order to speed up the process?  If not, what is the turnaround time to have it changed by post?

wow.  lots of questions.  i have done so much research but some of these significant things are eluding me and its hard to tell what information is acurate.  My fiancee has been trying to get in touch with the immigation advisory service in london but they don't seem to answer their phones.  He is calling round to other offices, but it would be nice to get some advice from people who have been through the process and can give personal examples rather than getting the standard bureurocratic answers.

thanks so much everyone and take care!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: fiancee visa, so many questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 06:46:55 PM »
Let me take a stab at the few I know. ;)
FYI - I got my fiancee visa in person, in Chicago, and have no experience doing it through mail. :( We used my parents-in-law's house deed as proof that we had a palce to live, even though technically we were only going to stay with them for a week or two until we found our new place. The lady said that was fine, since that's where I'd be staying *when I arrived*.

To have my visa changed from a fiancee visa to a spouse visa I know we have to go to the IND office in Croyden.  Do We have to pay another visa fee or is it simply changed?  I have read on one site that you don't have to pay again, but read on another that you do.  Has anyone done it recently and could advise?

The fee system did change last April, so lots of stuff is different. As far as I know (but I'll need some back up here) if you've got your fiancee visa i from the states already you don't have to pay for the FLR (which is what you'd be getting, and is good for 2 years)

Is it possible to go and have the visa changed in person in Croyden in order to speed up the process?  If not, what is the turnaround time to have it changed by post?

Getting it done in person is a 1 day-thing, you're usually out of there by early afternoon, and it's easy. Just a long line to stand in. :) If you've got the fiancee visa the paperwork for the FLR is a lot easier too, since your fiancee visa "cancels out" several pages - as you already answered and prooved all that stuff for the fiancee visa.

And welcome to the site!!!!
Sorry I'm not more help, I got my FLR in April *right* when the rules were changing, but we'll get you sorted out. ;)

I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:56:58 PM »
I have read about the difference between a notice of marriage by certificate versus by lisence, whereas by certificate is less expensive but takes a longer waiting time and the liscence is more expensive and there is less waiting time.  we want to get married asap so i am able to work.  does anyone know the prices and pros and cons of either of these?

You will have to wait until you've been in the UK at least 3 weeks before you can get married.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/registration/Marriage/MarriageWhatsnew.asp

Common 15 day notice procedure

The former procedures for giving notice for marriage by superintendent registrar's certificate and licence and superintendent registrar's certificate without licence are replaced by a common 15 day notice procedure.

This change may affect visitors to England and Wales who have specifically come for the purpose of marriage. This in practice will mean that visitors to England and Wales will need to satisfy the residential qualification of 7 days and then wait a further 15 clear days before they will be eligible to marry.

This link will tell you what you need to know about getting married in the UK.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/registration/marriage.asp

Your timeline goes like this:

Apply for Fiancee Visa (either by post or in person - either way is fine).  It is good for 6 months, multiple entry so you can come and go within those 6 months.

Fly to UK.

Get married (after at least 3 weeks!).

Submit application for FLR(M) to Croyden, in person or by post.

Then you're good to go for the next two years!

It's a relatively painless procedure, honest.  And we're all here to help you through every step of the way!  :D

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:23:57 PM »
Sorry to tell you this but you now DO have to pay for your FLR it's 155 gbp if you do it by mail and 250 if you go in person. bummer I know especially after just having paid $450. for your entry visa.
Always saddle your own horse

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 08:46:29 PM »
Sorry to tell you this but you now DO have to pay for your FLR it's 155 gbp if you do it by mail and 250 if you go in person. bummer I know especially after just having paid $450. for your entry visa.

I wondered if that was the case... I made it *just* in time to avoid that. :/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »
Hi Lizabeth~  Welcome to the site!!!  The process IS really, really intimidating, but the people on this site are incredibly helpful.  I'm in the same boat as you, as I'll have just finished uni and my fiance is still in uni....so we don't have much savings either.  From what I understand, you should be fine as long as you get some other or multiple people willing to cosponser you.  We plan to have his aunt and uncle sponser us as they're fairly well off and would be able to help us out if we needed it (at least to prove we won't take gov't funding/aid) and that we'll stay in his dad's house until we can find a nice flat we can afford.

Not sure, but think you can have your fiance take care of all the wedding licenses ahead of time.  I don't think you both have to be present to apply for them in England, but don't take my word for it.  There are people better qualified to answer that than myself.  I'm planning on applying for a spousal visa in person at Croydon as well, as I want to work right away as well.  

As far as your fiance visa goes, I think applying in person makes it quicker and less stressful, but that's completely my opinion.  I feel uneasy about sending all the paperwork and passports off in the mail for weeks on end (but I've had some bad experiences with lost mail).  Plus you can usually get it all back and your visa in one day, so it puts your mind at ease. :)

Well, I didn't offer too much info, but I'm sure you'll get most of your questions answered by other people. ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 09:06:37 PM »

Do you know aproximately how long it takes by mail?

thanks SO MUCH to everyone for their advice.  It is really helpful to get more personal information.
:)

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 01:23:04 AM »
I would have thought it would be fine to occupy one bedroom in a flatshare (shared use of kitchen and bathroom). Lots of young couples do that. You just have to prove you have a bedroom for your exclusive use, they don't want loads of people all piled into one room  ;)  
Secondly, it never used to be this way but I think it changed so that BOTH parties now have to 'give notice' at the registry office, 15 days at least before you get married. You also have to have been resident 7 days before you can do so. I think it was an effort to put a stop top marriages of convenience, though really IMO all they've suceeded in doing is putting people off having a wedding in the UK (people from other countries that don't intend to live here I mean!) It's nearly as bad as France now where it's a 1 month residency requirement!
IMHO it's better to pay the extra £95 and get the visa from Croydon in person. It can take up to 13 weeks to get the visa back by post (not that it usually takes so long but they say it can) and think how much you could earn in 13 weeks! A lot more than £95! Also you don't risk losing your passport in the mail, and you are there to answer any questions they have.
Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 11:21:37 AM »
Yes, you both do have to appear at the Registry Office.  You'll need your passport and they'll ask your father's name (at least they did here in Medway, Kent).  You have to register in the area where you live, even if you don't plan on getting married there.  That's where the notice will be posted - in the Registry Office.

*  Funny joke about that.  Apparently there was this (normal everyday) couple who wanted to get married secretly - but since their names were on the same Registry Notice as Madonna and Guy Ritchie, once that was published in the papers, their intended wedding wasn't a secret any longer!  :o

You don't have to appear at the same time at the Registry Office, but you won't be able to get married until 15 days after you've both appeared.

I agree with Squirrel about going to Croyden in person.  It costs more, but it's worth it for peace of mind.

The Fiancee Visa seems to be rather simple either way, and I can sympathise with being in Florida and *your* consulate is in NY!  However, if you can get a cheap flight up there, I know a great hotel walking distance from the Embassy!  ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 02:08:25 PM »
questions, questions!
I have learned so much already from posting to and reading this forum!  yay!  but there is always more to learn...

What kind of documentation must we provide to show what district we live in?  My beau has mail addressed to him but I will only be in the country for seven days.  I will definatly have my plane ticket, but what else can I provide?

I was reading yesterday on the consulate website that they ONLY take walk in service for people who have travel arrangements in the next five days.  Has anyone gone to a consulate without yet having travel arrangements?

You are all so lovely for being so helpful and supportive!

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 02:38:48 PM »
I was reading yesterday on the consulate website that they ONLY take walk in service for people who have travel arrangements in the next five days.  Has anyone gone to a consulate without yet having travel arrangements?

I forgot about that.  Really, I shouldn't worry too much about sending in your application to NY by post.  As long as you have everything, you should be fine.

As far as showing residency - we had been living together the whole time and my name was on the rental agreement and the council tax bill.  But I guess you could just say that you're living with him and that would be fine.  I mean, what can they expect if you've only been in the country 7 days?  ::)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 03:01:48 PM »
If you're worried about sending in your application and passports by mail then send them Registered using the U.S Postal Service, that way someone signs for them every step of the way and they go in a special pouch...cost...about $11. I did it that way and had no problems. They claim to process most visa requests within 5 working days but mine took closer to 10. As long as you submit ALL the information that they're asking for, including the visa cost and the $16 money order or certified check for the return ( they use Fed-Ex to return everything) then there should be no uneccesary hold up. Just do'nt panic if you don't receive things back in exactly 5 days, your registerd mail receipt will be proof that they received it.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 03:10:46 PM »
Hi Lizabeth and welcome to UKY!  

First things first...take a deep breath and repeat after me:  "This is going to be ok. I can do this!"  We're here to help and lots and lots of us have gone through what you're going through right now, so you've come to the right place.  :)

First of all, I highly recommend mailing your forms and documents in for your fiancee visa.  I know lots of other people have done it in person, but for me (being in TN at the time, and my consulate was in NY too), it worked like a dream.  As long as you have all the documents they require, you should have your visa in hand and all the original documents you sent to them within a week or two.  (You can read about our experience on my website if you want to hear all the details.  Keep in mind that we did ours in 2001 before the charges and rules changed slightly.)

As for giving notice for your wedding, we got married in Scotland and did not have to be in residency or anything for any given number of days.  My husband lived in London then, called up the Aberdeen registrar and took care of everything like that.  THey had to have a copy of my birth certificate ahead of time, but I sent that to them while still in the US.  I then arrived in the UK 2 weeks before the wedding, and it was all just fine.

You can check out this site's forum http://www.weddingguide.co.uk for lots of helpful info on the requirements for weddings all over the UK.  

We were living in a flatshare when we first got married, but were quite clearly told that that was not allowed when it came time to apply for our FLR.  So we stayed there for about 6 months, and then moved into our own flat.  We were questioned about this at our interview for the FLR, too, so unless that rule has changed, you will need to be able to support yourself.

Croydon in person is the only way to do it, as far as I'm concerned.  It's a great bonding experience for you, anyway!  :)  The Home Office does not have a good track record for returning things promptly...unlike the consulates in the US.  Just take snacks.  :)

Hope that helps a bit!!  

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi Lizabeth and welcome to UKY!  

We were living in a flatshare when we first got married, but were quite clearly told that that was not allowed when it came time to apply for our FLR.  So we stayed there for about 6 months, and then moved into our own flat.  We were questioned about this at our interview for the FLR, too, so unless that rule has changed, you will need to be able to support yourself.

Thanks for the info.  Regarding living in our own place, we will be staying with some of his family until we get settled, perhaps for a few months.  After I get the FLR do they "check up" on you to be sure you have your own place or are you good to go once you have the FLR?

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 05:12:30 PM »
Your FLR is good for 2 years.  When you go for you Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) they'll check up on this, yes.  But you can live with family members...you just have to have the documents to prove that they are okay with that and that they either own their place or that the landlord is okay with you living there.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab