Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advice needed on international shipping quote  (Read 895 times)

• Liked: 0
Advice needed on international shipping quote
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:06:55 PM »
Hi there,

I'm shipping some items from Buckinghamshire to Germany (Cologne) and wanted to do a "reality check" on the price estimate I got from Britannia. I'm only shipping about 15 - 17 medium-size cardboard boxes' worth of books and DVD's etc. + a TV; no furniture etc.

The estimate they gave me was £800 plus insurance. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Many Thanks
The Sun King

• Liked: 36
Re: Advice needed on international shipping quote
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:15:01 PM »
Hi there,

That strikes me as expensive for what you are trying to achieve. I hired a Luton sized Lorry/truck in June 05, drove it to Amsterdam and packed it full of my mate and his wifey's entire contents of their apartment (furniture, chairs, TV's, all clothes and everything else!) drove it back.

Rental of the truck was £175, Diesel was around £120ish.

So for less than half that quote, you could try this option?! we did it over a weekend too, so got to pack during the day and go out in the evenings!

If you haven't got the time, then you need to ring around a few other shipping/courier places and get them to quote you. you'll then be able to work out if it's the going rate or not

cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »
No its not resonable. I have shipped wine from Italy for about 200 euros a pallet. We were able to stack a second pallet on top for no cost at all. I second Dennis's idea of driving it yourself or looking into international haulliers.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for shipping furniture from the UK to the USA?

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi,

Gotta love an almost decade long thread bump !!

Dinlo - Is the furniture very or extremely valuable both in financial and sentimental terms? many places will move belongings internationally and will have full insurance as part of the quote. If it's not worth that much, then I'd say it's not going to be worth the amount it'll cost based on how many pieces and how bulky they are.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab