Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any queuing tips for Croydon?  (Read 1083 times)

• Chris Hansen's Home Page
  • Liked: 0
Any queuing tips for Croydon?
« on: February 10, 2004, 04:29:25 PM »
My partner and I are at last going to get his ILR stamp. It shouldn't be too much trouble, according to recent reports. However, we want to do it in person, rather than by post. The Temporary LR we got two years ago took about 9 months and the intervention of our MP to pry out of the Home Office--we suspect they lost track of it and only found it after the MP investigated.

What we'd be interested in is tips for the "best" experience at Croydon we can get:

1) Is there any "best day of the week" to queue? Any days to avoid? (Monday, Friday for example).

2) Is there any "best time" to join the queue? When does it start to form and how many places in the queue actually get seen. We'll each have to take a day off work for this one.

3) If we were to travel to any of the other places that IND offers to get ILR (Liverpool, Glasgow, and somewhere else) would the fact that we live in London and travelled to {wherever} be a problem? I gather they take appointments for the interviews other than at Croydon and that would be perfect for us if it's possible.

4) Anything else we need to know?

Thanks for your help. We're planning to go the last week of this month. If those who contribute tips are happy for me to put them on my website (http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk) in the Dual Citizenship and IND section, I will do that (with or without identification, your choice, but with our heartfelt thanks).

Cheers,

Chris Hansen and Wai-Liang Tan

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: Any queuing tips for Croydon?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 05:38:01 PM »
1) Is there any "best day of the week" to queue? Any days to avoid? (Monday, Friday for example).

We went on a Friday to get my ILR, and were in line by 7:00 am. By the time we got up to the door, they were at the limit of applications they could fill that day, and told us to come back on Monday. So we got up at 4 am, on Monday, and were in line by 6:00 am. Got in by 9:00 and were out by 1:45 or so, with my ILR in hand.

2) Is there any "best time" to join the queue? When does it start to form and how many places in the queue actually get seen. We'll each have to take a day off work for this one.

If you want to have it all done that day, it's best to be in line early, no later than 6:00 am. Even at that early hour, there is usually already a huge line. When we did it last, it was snowing, and while we were lucky enough to be under cover,, many people were having to wait out in the snow. Others have said they went later in the day, and had no problem, but it's the luck of the draw in that regard I think.

3) If we were to travel to any of the other places that IND offers to get ILR (Liverpool, Glasgow, and somewhere else) would the fact that we live in London and travelled to {wherever} be a problem? I gather they take appointments for the interviews other than at Croydon and that would be perfect for us if it's possible.

If you live in London, Croydon would be the easist place, and you would be able to get there quite early. I don't think the Home Office cares what location you go to,, but I don't think all of them process ILR's anymore. Someone should be along who knows more about this than I do.

4) Anything else we need to know?

Take food with you and some drinks. You could have quite a long wait outside, and inside as well. There are vending machines, but packing snacks is a good idea. Bring something to read as well.  
Bundle up because it's very cold in the early morning as you wait outside. A thermos of coffee is handy too.

Something else to help you with organizing all your papers, make a list of what you need to take with you, and have it nicely organized in a folder. I saw people with a hodge podge of papers, and the person behind the glass seemed to be more obliging to those who appeared to take more effort with  being prepared. I saw some really harsh workers behind the glass. It's quite intimadating.

Good luck, it's all good once it's been done :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 05:40:32 PM by tebs »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 08:36:28 PM »
Just a few other notes.  We also went on a Friday, but my husband refused to que before 8:30 so by the time we arrived we almost had to stand outside the shelter.  Took us a couple of hours to get in and then didn't leave until 4:00 that afternoon.  VERY painful! :'(  

Second thing to mention is that you can't apply in person for an ILR anywhere but Croydon.  We were going to do it in Glasgow as we have relatives up there, but they don't do it anywhere else.  :-/

Best of luck!
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »
Thats what I thought I had heard to Glasgow Girl, about Croydon being the only place to apply in person.

Chris, also, did you know that if you send your application by mail that the is considerablly less? Altho, I liked to do it in person myself too :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 09:48:32 PM by tebs »

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 10:46:43 PM »
Just a few other notes.  We also went on a Friday, but my husband refused to que before 8:30 so by the time we arrived we almost had to stand outside the shelter.  Took us a couple of hours to get in and then didn't leave until 4:00 that afternoon.  VERY painful! :'(  

Second thing to mention is that you can't apply in person for an ILR anywhere but Croydon.  We were going to do it in Glasgow as we have relatives up there, but they don't do it anywhere else.  :-/

Best of luck!

Thanks.

I would say that the new form has a guidance that mentions that in the three offices other than Croydon appointments can be made. On page 16 of Form SET(M), in the guidance, it reads: "Please note that as from 1 August 2003, you have to book an appointment in advance to make an application at the Birmingham, Glasgow, and Liverpool PEOs." There are phone numbers to book quoted below.

How recent was your experience of being told you couldn't apply at other offices?

Cheers

Chris H.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 03:54:06 AM »
I booked an appointment with the Birmingham office and it was totally pain free. No wait, no hassle - perfect.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 08:55:48 AM »
NO WAY!!!  It was in March of last year.  I checked around quite throughly at the time and was told that you could only apply at Croydon. I got my FLR in Glasgow and had to wait about 15 minutes, so I knew for a fact that would have been a lot less painless.  Oh well...  maybe this will make any further applications go smoother.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 06:25:11 PM »
If it's cold, bring your own hot drink in a thermos thing. It was *so* annoying when David had to make the hot dirnk runs for us and by the time he got back the line had moved and we had to use our mobile phones and the "stand on your toes and wave" thing to find each other. :) Best not to separate!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 06:21:29 PM »
Good news--according to the main information line, you can make an appointment with any of the offices you choose, should you be able to get to one, except for Croydon, where you have to queue. So, we have an appointment for the end of February at the Birmingham office, where hopefully we won't have much trouble. I think we'll go to Birmingham the night before so as to be refreshed and optimistic when we get to the office.

Thanks for all the queueing information, though; hopefully we won't have to use it this time.

Chris Hansen
http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »
It would be nice of just one step in this process of yours would go easy-peasy and with no hassle, Chris!  Here's hoping this is it!  Best wishes to you and your partner!  :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 10:21:49 AM »
The IND office is in Solihull, just outside of Birmingham, easily reachable from Marylebone. There is a hotel that shares all but the last character of the IND office's postcode (thus pretty much assuring that it's around the corner or down the street), and we've booked a room there the night before. The whole trip, excluding the Home Office charges, will cost us about £250.

Once we've finished this, hopefully successfully, we'll post an update on how it went, how good the hotel was, and how easy the trip was. This may help future readers avoid Croydon if it turns out to have been a good experience.

Chris Hansen
http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »
Yay!  I am sure that you will have a great story to share once you get this part sorted :)

I enjoyed reading your story on your website Chris :)  Will be keeping positive thoughts for you guys.  :)

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 01:12:41 PM »
If you go to Croydon, I understand that Mondays and Fridays are days to avoid.  My wife and I went there last Tuesday for her ILR stamp.  We arrived at 0635, entered the building at 0825, were called to a window at 0925, and left with a new permanent resident stamp on my wife's passport at 1115.

We noticed signs in the outside waiting area advising to people to come after midday because there is no queue, but I can't comment on whether this is actually the case.

The cold really gets to you while waiting outside mainly because you are standing in one place.  It's worth being in the queue with someone so that you can take turns to go and get hot drinks just as an excuse to get the circulation going.  Good luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab