Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: fiancee visa trip  (Read 1129 times)

• Liked: 0
fiancee visa trip
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:27:58 PM »
hi all,

ok been reading through the forum  for past few months. tracey  is from us  im from  uk.

we are due to make the dreaded trip to new york to apply for the fiance visa in mid march, it's getting very close and nerves and panic is starting to set in.  

in brief  we have been together 3 years with tracey coming over on a tourist visa on a regular basis and spending most of the time here.  no one in immigration has been suspious of anything and she has never been questioned.

i know its mentioned on here but we would appriciate someone giving us a list of exactly what we should take. we would rather go armed with more than we need. the things we are looking at taking are

passports  (both)
bank statements ( how far back should they go)
proof of my employment.
wage slips
divorce certificates
birth certificates
lease
letter from landlord  saying tracey can live there.
prove of marriage date.  we are looking to get married within 2 months of getting back with visa in hand.

photos  of us and my children.
letters from family and friends

in peoples experience what sort of figure to they look for in income  and in savings.

ok i understand every case is different but we would love to know what people have found.

we have both in through bad marriages and just want to be together. we hate the fact we have to go through this but are willing to do whatever we have to be able to spend our lifes together.

Re: fiancee visa trip
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 01:45:30 PM »
If you think you can provide for two on your income, then you should be fine. Savings are a definite bonus. If you have a job it's not so important. My DH (the American) had about $1000 in savings ('course that was worth more in 1998!) and I had a salary of about £17K at the time, no savings.
I think 6 months bank statements and payslips would be fine, though I reckon they'll only look at the last 2 or 3.
Don't forget 2 passport photos of Tracy and the application form, and fee for the visa ($495 I think).

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »
do we download applications or do we get them when we get there?

with regards to support  tracey has been here most of past 3 years. going out when she has to to renew visa.  (no one has batted an eyelid at immigration)  and i have supported her the entire time.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »
You can download the applications from here:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1014919208354

And make sure that Tracy's photographs conform to the requirements - photos taken in UK photo booths are the WRONG size.  There is a photo booth in the Consulate, but you might not want to count on it being in operation.  There's a camera shop down and across the street which is where we got ours done.  Also, I think there is a place near the US Embassy in London that does them the right size.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »
You can download the applications from here:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1014919208354

And make sure that Tracy's photographs conform to the requirements - photos taken in UK photo booths are the WRONG size.  There is a photo booth in the Consulate, but you might not want to count on it being in operation.  There's a camera shop down and across the street which is where we got ours done.  Also, I think there is a place near the US Embassy in London that does them the right size.

You may be getting confused with US visa photo requirements. Normal photo booth pictures are OK for UK visa requirements, but the US has very specific requirements re measurements, angle they have to be etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 04:59:56 PM by Squirrel »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »
We got my DH's pics taken at a local photo shop in the UK.  I actually took the immigration paperwork with me WITH the exact measurements listed and told the nice man...we need this!  No problems.  Ours were for US INS though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 05:48:12 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »
When we applied for the Fiancee Visas, it was stressed to us that we had to have US-spec photos.  So that's why we waited until we were in the US to get them.  Maybe we were *misinformed* - it happens!

I mentioned it because they're both in the UK and, like I said, I was told that they had to be US-spec photos which are a different size.

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:49:59 PM »
Definintely print out the forms and fill them out beforehand, you'll have to. I printed out 2 sets, did a "practice"one, and was glad I did because I made a mistake! Then just copy all the info onto the real sheet. :) I bought a binder to keep all the info in. We brought in his last 4 payslips. He had savings, but they didn't care because he made a decent wage to support 2 people. We brought bank statements of his to prove that his wages got paid into his account, don't think that was necessary but they looked at them. We were living with his parents temporarily, so we needed the deed to their house... I didn't know this, and all I had was a letter from them saying it was ok for us to stay with them, that wasn't enough. I had to call them in the UK from the Chicago office to tell them to find their deed and then a fax machine (they are techno-illiterate so it was an ordeal!) and fax it to Chicago. That was the only mistake we made.

The forms aren't as hard to fill out as you will expect them to be, and if you've got specific questions, ask on here and we should be able to help you out! The form really does answer a lot of your questions though, and isn't too stressful to do if you sit in a quiet room, have your documentation with you, and can just spend some quiet time doing it.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 11:21:02 PM »
ok so i add application to my list.

we will get tracey's photo done in new york.

so apart from those 2 things is there anything else we need or does that look enough.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:50:08 PM »
You will be fine. How about bringing the receipt for the engagement ring? Not necessary, but further proof of your impending nuptials  :)

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 12:24:43 AM »
thanks squirrel,  im feeling reassured, think its going to take the visa in tracey's passport to calm her down.  guess we will both be anxiious,nervous, freaking out and every other emotion till then.

however its good to know that we have what we need. only 4 weeks till d day

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 01:03:52 PM »
*HIJACK*

Squirrel - what a BEAUTIFUL photo!

*HIJACK OVER*

- Benjamin Franklin

• fiddle dee dee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 10:24:53 PM »
I had a letter from DF stating his intentions, how we met etc. and a letter from his boss stating his length in position, yearly salary, recent promotion info. too.
Good Luck!  You'll be fine.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 04:58:45 PM »
check out  my (low-tech) website...it lists everything we had with us when we applied for the visa

as far as bank statements go, i had 3 months and husband had 6 months....they took all of them...i had $8000 in the account (had just sold my car) and husband had about 3000 pounds.........i'm not sure if they even looked at the amounts!

http://www.webspawner.com/users/spousalvisa/index.html

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab