Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How hard is it to find a job?    (Read 2373 times)

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
How hard is it to find a job?  
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:48:45 PM »
Here is my sitation:

I am moving to London around April and should get my FLR and be able to work by May.

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree and about a year an a half of administrative experience.  Id like to get an entry level Admin Assistant job, or something similar, for about 7.50 to 9 pounds an hour.

I have looked at all the sites folks have posted here and there seems to be a lot of Admin jobs, but really, how hard are they to get?  How long should I expect to be job hunting for something decent?  Long enough that I should get a job at a pub or something while I look for something better, or is it easy to get agency work immediatly?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice.
thanks!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: How hard is it to find a job?  
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »
You won't have trouble at all finding an entry level admin job in London.  There are tons and tons of them.

I found a job here in 2 weeks, had a permanent job six weeks later and am still working at that same company.  (Tho, in a much different, better job now.)

The trick is to get here, and then pound the pavement with temp agencies.  They'll tell you not to go to too many of them but I think the more the better.  Sign up with as many as you can and then bug them to death till you have a job.  Honestly, that's the best way!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 06:34:29 PM »
I think everyone's experience is different, especially depending where they live.  I was spoilt for choice when I started job-hunting - I was offered about 75% of the jobs I interviewed for!  And then I ended up with one I didn't even interview for at all!  Go figure.

But I know others have had a really difficult time finding work that is (1) what they want to do and (2) worth it money-wise.  As to (2), I'm an exception to the rule because I'm actually making MORE in the UK than I made in the US.

Living in London you should have NO problem finding work.  Finding a job you're happy with might be something else altogether.  :P  
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 08:05:06 PM »
I would add one thing though.  In May and June graduates are coming out of uni and the temp agencies are absolutely flooded with applicants.  Especially for admin jobs.  It would be good to make contact earlier rather than later and build a reputation with an agency.  

I had a very easy time finding temp work when I came, but had difficulties finding permanent work, but once I did i had an easier time moving up the ladder than my english counter parts
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:18:08 PM »
I would add one thing though.  In May and June graduates are coming out of uni and the temp agencies are absolutely flooded with applicants.  Especially for admin jobs.  It would be good to make contact earlier rather than later and build a reputation with an agency.  

Very good advice.

Like Wishstar said, go to every agency you find in the phonebook. I got my first job here a week after I got my visa (and three days after I signed up with an agency!)

There are loads of admin jobs and if you have the right skills, you'll land one in no time.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 10:18:27 PM by Ashley »
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 12:43:56 AM »
Hmmm... peedal... You've got me curious... what type of work did/do you do?

I just found out that one company I work for here will still keep me on as a contractor (for transcription).  Nice knowing there's something I can do on my own hours.

But I'll definitely be looking for something administrative as well; and I don't think I'll be too picky as my ultimate goals are in the entertainment industry as a performer.  So really whatever pays the bills best is what I'll be happy to at least start with.

And please also clarify - you get a job first, THEN you get the NIN?
???
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 12:28:15 PM »
On the National Insurance number issue, you can do it either way.  Like many other aspects of being an expat, the "correct" procedure depends on who answers the phone when you call to ask what to do.   ::)

Some people will say that as soon as you are looking for work, you should register to get a NIN.  But some people have been told by the Benefits Agency (who give them out) that you aren't eligible until you actually have a position.  

The fact of the matter is, you don't have to have a nuber to get hired.  Employers won't ask you for it, as long as you have your passport with your visa that allows you to work.  

The way it worked with me is, I got a job through a temp agency, the temp agency applied for a temporary tax number for me, and then what they call "emergency tax" was taken out until I could get my interview and get a real NIN. Emergency tax is taken out at a very high rate, so as soon as you can, you should call and make an appointment for your NIN.  Depending where you are, it can take some time...it took me nearly 8 months!  

Once you have your own number, you can claim the emergency tax back, if you want to go through the bother of it.  

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 12:31:16 PM by wishstar »

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 12:52:22 PM »
Elizabeth - I'm a legal secretary.  Have been since birth except for a 4-year stint as a court reporter!  ;)  And I'm making less in my area than I could be in London, but I really didn't fancy the commute.  Even though it's only about 45 minutes (by train) each way.  But I am making more than I was being offered in the next *larger* town which still would have been about a 30-minute commute (by bus).  I lucked out that my office is right off the high street, so I can get errands and stuff done during lunch and right after work.  I either take a bus that comes right in front of my house and drops me about a 5 minute walk from the office, or my husband drives me.  It's so convenient and the pay is good and I have a great boss - I'm still wondering how it all happened!  :o

And like Wishstar says, on the NI number it all depends who you talk to.  I got my NI number before I started working because I showed them I'd been diligently searching for work.  It was a lengthy but painless interview and I had my number within 3 weeks and my embossed card in another month.

AND - I was also lucky in that I got my *emergency tax* back through my employer - in my last pay packet before Christmas!

So, yeah, with things going this great, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, of course!  ::)   ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 05:14:13 PM »
Elizabeth - I'm a legal secretary.  Have been since birth except for a 4-year stint as a court reporter!  ;)  

Did you have any legal secretary experiance when you got that job?  Did you get it through an agency?

I am wondering because that is the sort of work that I would *really* like to get into.  I have studied a lot of law and am very interested in pursuing it further, but I don't have any legal work experience and so many places want so many years experience as a legal secretary before they hire you.  It seems impossible to get your foot in the door!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 03:26:55 PM »
I've been a legal secretary for (in total) over 10 years.  

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 09:13:32 PM »
I've been a legal secretary for (in total) over 10 years.  

How did you manage to get started in that field?

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 10:57:21 AM »
I started out as a "word processor" in a law firm when I was about 19-20.  The next job I went for was an actual legal secretary position at a different firm.  After a few years I went to school for court reporting, got my AS, and did that for just about 4 years.  After I stopped doing that I went back to the legal secretary thing (even though I interviewed for a lot of other things - I can't seem to escape it!).  Was out of work for my first year here in the UK, then started temping and got this job through that.  Again, I'd been interviewing for tonnes of other types of jobs, but then I still ended up doing this!  It must be in my blood.   ::)

- Benjamin Franklin

• Hi there.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 01:12:27 PM »
I am new to this and need some advice as I am confused.  
I am wanting to move to London and understand that I need to have a job before coming.  The employer will have to apply for the work permit so that I can work there.  I searched the britainusa website and they said I could not look for work while I vacationed in London recently.  So how the heck do I find a job? so I can get a work permit, a letter of entry, and take up residence in London?   Seems like a catch 22 situation to me.  Can anyone give me advice on how to get a job from here in the US so that I can move? or am I just out of luck?  
Can anyone please tell me what steps I would have to follow?
Thanks to anyone who can help explain this to me!!!

Nan

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 01:19:33 PM »
I don't have an y real advice to offer Nan, unfortunately - but from listening to countless other people in your situation, unfortunately it seems really difficult to go about the Work Visa route. You can look into a transfer with your company... but a company in the UK willing to sponsor you outright will be diffictul unless you are in some kind of really highly-skilled industry. Also, I believe a UK copany has to prove that they've looked for a UK resident to fill a position for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to look overseas, (I know this is true vice versa while looking for work in the US)and there's no shortage of people looking for jobs here. :( If you are highly-skilled, check into the Highly Skilled Migrant visa. Like a lot of scenarios in this happy immigrating business, it really can end up being a catch 22, which is why it is difficult for people to find the right path if they want to move to the UK. They don't make it easy to get here. Sorry to be such a poop, and again I don't have personal experience with the work visa, and I hope someone with more personal experience can push me out of the way and tell you what to do to make it easier!!

There are other ways of coming over, such as marriage and school and ancestry... I'm assuming none of those apply to you since you are automatically thinking of the employment route...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 01:21:19 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Hi there.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 01:25:41 PM »
Thanks Marlespo for the reply.  I appreciate the input.  It is exactly what I have been coming up against.  I work for the police department here in Colorado and have to be nationally certified to do so. I am pretty sure that you have to be certified in London also, and I think they use the same accreditation agency that we do here in the US.  That may be a plus for me.  I am trying to find out through my agency.  Again thanks for the post
Nan

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab