Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to file a US Tax Return?  (Read 99788 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Do I need to file a US Tax Return?
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
What address do I send my federal tax info to? Also, do I file for state taxes? I wasn't sure how that worked since I live in the UK and don't really have a state...

• Liked: 102
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
Every year I get my local (back in the states - local to my old home) tax prep professional to file for me as she's done it for years.  Every year she tells me I don't need to as I'm not employed and haven't been since I moved to the UK.  I have no other sources of income.  I'm doing the housewife thing.  I've continued to file because I was told a while ago that I had to to prove that I have "insurance" to avoid the penalty from the US.  Also I was told that kept me on the radar in terms of Social Security for when I do actually retire as I've paid into it for decades.  Am I being silly doing this?  Are these good reasons to file and are there others I've not thought of?  Yes, I could file it myself but I hate the idea of that more than I can express in words.  :)  Thanks in advance for your time and information!
Do you file your FBAR each year? Do you need to file IRS Form 3520 for gifts you receive from your spouse?

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »
What address do I send my federal tax info to? Also, do I file for state taxes? I wasn't sure how that worked since I live in the UK and don't really have a state...
Which State(s)?

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
After reading through most of the posts on this thread, it seems pretty straightforward - I will need to file in the US.

I own a corporation that is domiciled in the US, so I will file taxes in the US accordingly. All of my clients are located in the US, they pay in USD, the money is held in US accounts, and I will account for the income in the US.

I will be living in the UK full time, beginning whenever my visa is approved, as a remote employee of the US corporation.

Does anyone know if I am required to file in the UK if my income is 100% US income?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
Does anyone know if I am required to file in the UK if my income is 100% US income?

As a UK resident, you'll need to file a self assessment and declare your worldwide income.

« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Hi, i forgot to file my taxes this June. Should i just do it now and send it to Austin ? I never owe anything anyway. Also is there any way to see they actually recieved my taxes for previous years without calling them ? I file manually.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
Hi, i forgot to file my taxes this June. Should i just do it now and send it to Austin ? I never owe anything anyway. Also is there any way to see they actually recieved my taxes for previous years without calling them ? I file manually.

If you don't owe anything, as far as I know, there is no penalty.  You should just do it and have it done.  My understanding is that penalties are only applied to late payments, and if you have no payment due, it can't be late.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2017, 01:57:25 AM »
I am self-employed and working on getting a visa for the UK. In 2017 I was briefly at my parents' house for our wedding in January, then in the UK for almost 6 months, and now I am back at my parents' home to wait out my spouse visa application. While in the US, I earned money for my business, but I'm without a real address unless I use my parents'. My husband and I moved everything to the UK and thought I lived there but have learned this is likely incorrect until we have a visa.

I know I'll have to file for 2017, but where do I say I live? And, when do I actually count as someone who lives in the UK for tax purposes?

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
Immigration residence has nothing at all to do with tax residence. From a US perspective if you are a US citizen you will always be a US resident until/unless you renounce the US citizenship.

From a State tax perspective you will have to look at State tax rules in any applicable States.

The UK has what is known as a "statutory residence test", which you will want to study.

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2022, 05:16:24 PM »
Hello, does anyone know if I should include my UK NI contributions when i report "Foreign Taxes Paid" in Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116)? Or do I just include Tax not NI contributions? Thanks!

« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2022, 06:08:20 PM »
Hello, does anyone know if I should include my UK NI contributions when i report "Foreign Taxes Paid" in Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116)? Or do I just include Tax not NI contributions? Thanks!
NIC is not considered a creditable foreign income tax.

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2023, 10:23:32 AM »
I'm wondering how I should file for the 2023 year.

I'm married to a UK citizen, I'm on the spousal visa.

I earn a retirement/disability income from the USAF and the VA. Otherwise, I have no additional taxable income. I do have more than $10k in a foreign bank account. Previously, I've just been using turbo tax.

For the 2022 return it wanted me to print off my taxes and do a non-resident alien form for my spouse last year. I decided against that and just filed single since I lacked time and didn't have a way to print anything off.

Every year with Turbotax I get asked if I have more than $10k in a foreign account, I say yes. But because it never actually earned any interest (I think) it never required me to do anything else other than to declare it.

I'm hoping to find a service to do this for me just once and than I can mimic the tax preperation the following year (barring any changes for the IRS).

• Liked: 718
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2023, 11:59:29 AM »
I'm wondering how I should file for the 2023 year.

I'm married to a UK citizen, I'm on the spousal visa.

I earn a retirement/disability income from the USAF and the VA. Otherwise, I have no additional taxable income. I do have more than $10k in a foreign bank account. Previously, I've just been using turbo tax.

For the 2022 return it wanted me to print off my taxes and do a non-resident alien form for my spouse last year. I decided against that and just filed single since I lacked time and didn't have a way to print anything off.

Every year with Turbotax I get asked if I have more than $10k in a foreign account, I say yes. But because it never actually earned any interest (I think) it never required me to do anything else other than to declare it.

I'm hoping to find a service to do this for me just once and than I can mimic the tax preperation the following year (barring any changes for the IRS).

As you are married you should not be filing as single.  If you wish to keep your spouse's income away from the IRS you should file as Married Filing Separately.

Even with no income from foreign accounts you are correct that if the aggregate balance of them is over $10k then you should report the balances by filing an FBAR.

Since you are receiving retirement income from a government agency (USAF/VA) I think that is taxable only by the IRS so no need to report this to HMRC. TurboTax should be quite easily used going forward to file your taxes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 12:04:23 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2023, 07:10:23 PM »
As you are married you should not be filing as single.  If you wish to keep your spouse's income away from the IRS you should file as Married Filing Separately.

Even with no income from foreign accounts you are correct that if the aggregate balance of them is over $10k then you should report the balances by filing an FBAR.
Assuming the marriage was lawful in the jurisdiction where performed, you are not Single. You would want to file an amended US return, plus - if required - an FBAR. You will separately need to register for self-assessment and file annual UK tax returns electing to claim the benefits of the US/UK tax treaty.

Since you are receiving retirement income from a government agency (USAF/VA) I think that is taxable only by the IRS so no need to report this to HMRC. TurboTax should be quite easily used going forward to file your taxes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab