Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS Organ Donor Register  (Read 21639 times)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
NHS Organ Donor Register
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
This topic came up in another thread, so I thought it might need it's own place.

Information if you are interested in registering to be an organ donor in the UK:

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:49:52 AM by Courtney »
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 4
Re: NHS Organ Donation Register
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »
Thanks Courtney - I just did it for me and DH!  8)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
Thank you! I, too, have been meaning to register...then just procrastinated.  At the end of the day, I'm not going to need 'em if I die & if my organs can be useful to someone else, so be it.  I'm glad you posted this to get people thinking - like me! ;D
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
I registered, and now they just need to confirm with my NHS number and I'll be all set. I never received an NHS card, or number (registered at the GP in early Dec.) so hopefully it will all work out!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:22:06 PM »
Madeira was actually the person who asked if anyone knew anything about donating here. I just posted the info. I feel very strongly about it and am glad to see others do too. :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »
How do they do this if your next of kin is in the States... or does that not matter?

In CA, even if you sign up for organ donation, your next of kin has the final say.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 06:26:58 AM »
Great question!

I don't know how they would deal with someone if their family objected and they were legally domiciled elsewhere. The card you carry though, has a statement saying that your wishes are to be a donor, and then there is a place to sign. You also list a contact number for someone to be notified in case of emergency. (I have my sister in PA listed.)

According to the Donor website:

What will happen if my relatives object?

We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one’s wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission, either by telling relatives, close friends or clinical staff, or by carrying a donor card or registering their wishes on the NHS Organ Donor Register, healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person’s wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead.

My non-professional interpretation of this is that in the UK, it's the wishes of the donor that override that of the family.

Perhaps someone with some experience in this may chime in?

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
i believe (with my foggy 7am sunday brain) that you are interpreting that correctly.  that the wishes of the donor override the objections of the family...in most cases. i seem to remember this being a new change that came into effect this year. i think it's generally a good stand to take because most families are too grief stricken to make a decision and if it's presented to them that this is what the loved one wanted a huge burden is lifted. i work with transplants (mostly liver) so i've seen lots of the ins and outs..the transplant coordinators are very good at educating and stressing both the importance and the reality of donating.

another aspect to consider is that the UK is moving toward a system of presumed consent. where you are considered to be a donor unless you specifically opt out.
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/OrganDonationPresumedConsent
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:55:37 AM by ladybug59 »

Re: NHS Organ Donor Register
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »
This is a very sensitive area for families. Procurement teams don't want to be seen as ambulance chasers or force families to make this decision even if it is the deceased person's wish. There is also a small window to do this all to keep the organs in good condition so I can see where the BMA is coming from with this presumed consent concept.

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
I'd also like to add into this thread the info for becoming a Bone Marrow Donor, as it's a separate procedure to organ donation. In the US, there are a bunch of registries you can join, but in the UK, there is only the Anthony Nolan Trust who handle everything!

There are lots of rumours floating around about bone marrow donation, but it really is an easy procedure that has come a long way in the past few years, and to join the registry you only need to fill out a form and give a blood sample and that's it! Anthony Nolan's site explains the procedure here. Oh, and in the UK it's FREE, too.

Please, please consider joining the registry, especially if you are of minority or mixed race. I'm having a bone marrow transplant myself in 3 weeks' time (eeek!) and my donor really and truly is saving my life, and they'll be completely back to normal in 3 weeks, knowing they've shared their immune system, blood, and life with me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:37:45 PM by squirrellypoo »
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »
I'd also like to add into this thread the info for becoming a Bone Marrow Donor, as it's a separate procedure to organ donation. In the US, there are a bunch of registries you can join, but in the UK, there is only the Anthony Nolan Trust who handle everything!

There are lots of rumours floating around about bone marrow donation, but it really is an easy procedure that has come a long way in the past few years, and to join the registry you only need to fill out a form and give a blood sample and that's it! Anthony Nolan's site explains the procedure here.

Please, please consider joining the registry, especially if you are of minority or mixed race. I'm having a bone marrow transplant myself in 3 weeks' time (eeek!) and my donor really and truly is saving my life, and they'll be completely back to normal in 3 weeks, knowing they've shared their immune system, blood, and life with me.

Thanks for this info, squirrellypoo. I remember hearing that donating was a painful procedure, so I am glad to hear that it doesn't sound as if that is the case now. I will definitely read your links.

Good luck!

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
oh you're too quick for me! I was just about to add in this myth-busting link that describes donation as about as painful as "a rough game of football"...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:37:57 PM by squirrellypoo »
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »
Can I add to this further?  Blood, plasma and platelet stocks are also very low.   If you are considering donating blood (I went today) take a look at www.blood.co.uk to see if you are eligible.  And if you think you aren't needed because you have a common blood group, they actually need you more.  It really doesn't hurt much, and you get biscuits after!

And if you are going to give blood, you can ask there for them to take a little extra and put you on the bone marrow donor register.

Vicky

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
Can I add to this further?  Blood, plasma and platelet stocks are also very low.   If you are considering donating blood (I went today) take a look at www.blood.co.uk to see if you are eligible.  And if you think you aren't needed because you have a common blood group, they actually need you more.  It really doesn't hurt much, and you get biscuits after!

And if you are going to give blood, you can ask there for them to take a little extra and put you on the bone marrow donor register.

Vicky

I used to give blood as often as I could, but I have to admit I have been lapse over the last few years.  My doctor has my group listed for emergencies too because I am Rhesus B neg...which is extremely rare over here..so if you have that blood type..certainly donate!
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »
EVERYONE should give if they can, not just those with a rare group.

Vicky

Sponsored Links