Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 5637 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Am I missing something?
« on: May 08, 2002, 08:56:03 PM »
I've made my large to-do list for the next 2 months, but it seems like there's something really obvious I'm missing.

[smiley=confused.gif]

1. Sort out the car
2. Sell my junk
3. Give away other junk
4. Pack (obviously)
5. Change address
6. Get teeth cleaned
7. Get eyes checked
8. Organize my files & bring important ones with me
9. Ship box of stuff to David prior to arrival (things I don't want in my suitcase)
10. Close bank account
11. Set up new bank account in Huntington, which will be my home base here from now on (I'll probably never come back to Ann Arbor, and my parents are in Huntington)
12. Anglicanize my resume
13. Get my computer files onto zip disk
14. Obvious apartment things like turning off utilities, notifiying landlord, cleaning it, etc
15. Store junk at mom & dads
16. Go shopping.

Of course, that's not ALL, but those are the main things. The biggest project I'm on right now is organizing my Virtual Garage Sale, and I just finished taking all of my CD's out of their bulky cases and putting them in CD Binders to make them travel easier.

But I feel like I'm forgetting something hugely obvious.
Maybe it's just because I have so much to do?

Anyone?

Anything you guys WISH you would have done/bought before you moved that I can learn from?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2002, 08:56:48 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Re: Am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 01:29:39 AM »
Sounds like you've got it covered, sweetie.  Just be sure you have your stuff insured when you send it!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2002, 03:06:46 PM »
One thing that might come in handy, having written references, from past employers, landlords, and especially your bank. Even when trying to become a joint account holder, they want references here. I was unable to use bank services for a long time because I didn't have them. It makes you feel subhuman.

School grades may also be considered something worth bringing, as many job requirements list that they want certain grades in certain course studies. There is an organization, http://www.naric.org.uk/, that gives an academic equivalent UK version of your grades, diplomas, and qualifications for a small fee, but I've heard that it's worth it. Just a thought. Best to be well prepared I say.  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2002, 03:07:35 PM by admin »

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 04:18:22 PM »
Thanks guys...

.... and my list gets longer and longer!!!  :P

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 04:25:30 PM »
It will do. Just be thankful that it's only yourself you have to be responsible for moving, and not an entire family!  :o

• I love mankind...It's people I can't stand.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 10:32:01 AM »
I'm not sure I actually have anything of value to contribute here, I just don't like being left out of any conversation!  :P

Your situation is different than mine was but the only thing I have to say is (this may be increadibly obvious) make sure have stuff to amuse yourself with (for when David is at work of course).  When we moved over there I had no friends or job or anything (cue violins) and my three best friends were The Mists Of Avalon, my Violent Femmes CD and my sketch book.  Saved my life on more than one ocasion they did!  ;)
Friends don't let friends get "Friends" haircuts!

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 03:34:22 PM »
I've made my large to-do list..
1. Sort out the car
10. Close bank account
11. Set up new bank account in Huntington, which will be my home base here from now on (I'll probably never come back to Ann Arbor, and my parents are in Huntington)

WOW! Marlespo, I am impressed. Wish I had the certainty, mindset, sercurity???  Good FOR YOU!!  :D Those are the three main things I was not going to do.   Sell my car, close my bank accounts, and set up any new accounts. Wanted a parachute for a safe landing in case I had to jump . I thought god forbid if for any reason it doesn't work out I wanted to make sure I was covered to go back home and not have to stubble doing it.  So I still do my banking from the U.S. (on line and/or phone) and my car is just sitting at my parent's house along with paying car insurance still!!  Don't want to cancel it yet.  Because if I (we) come back and I've cancelled it, it's will be like I've never had car insurance and will have to start at a insane crazy rate even though I've been with the same company since I was 16 w/ no speeding tics or accidents on record.  So for now just paying the basic to keep me in good standing.  Once things are "confirmed and date is set" I will sell my car actually probably give it away :D  ;D (old 89 mustang) not worth anything, close the accounts and credit cards.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 04:14:02 PM »
Don't worry Yvonne, I have loose ends to tie up back home too, not because I wanted something to fall back on, I wanted to keep the car so that I'd have something to drive when I went back home, not need a rental. In hindsight, I should have sold it, it's losing value now. I haven't been back for 1.5 years. I couldn't have forcasted that I wouldn't be back more often though, it's just the way the ball bounced. Or the babies bounced more like.  ::)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2002, 04:22:56 PM »
Actually, closing my bank account here and opening one in my hometown where my paretns still live *is* my parachute.

I live in Ann Arbor right now, but only sort of by accident. I have no intention of living here again, it's too expensive, and just not what I want. So with my big IF (which are the same IF's as you Yvonne, cause we're in the exact same boat! Literally!) - I've got it covered so that my parents are either buying or renting my car from me, and my bank account is in their town. If things don't work out, I move back to HUntington with them for a while until I can get my own place (housing is so cheap there it's crazy, so it won't take long) - and I can work immediately at their bar. Barnes & Noble have also said that when I come back to America (if?) I will be easily recommended to regain my position there.

So really, I do have  a back-up plan. :)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2002, 04:33:14 PM »
Hey Marlespo I was commending you...back-up stuff was just for me because life is so uncertain and nothing is guaranteed.  I envy people who don't look back.   I just can't.  I always have a C.Y.A. mentality - guess it's just part of my make-up..  ;)

Sounds like you've got it covered.  If I think of anything I'll let you now since I just went through what you're going through now.  Believe me at times I wanted to scream but you figure it out - together..  :)
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2002, 04:52:23 PM »
Don't forget to book your flight!  ;)  Kidding, I am sure it is on your list!  Wow, you are organized!  I agree on the reference thing.  You really want to have a variety of references, such as: personal character, business references, and even credit card/auto/insurance, etc. I have found most of them easy to get except for store credit card references (hard to find a person to do it).

Oh, and if you are keeping your bank account in the States, then make sure you are set up to bank online.  I had a long chat with my banker at Bank of America and she really helped me with how to do everything easily and efficiently through online banking!  Designate someone in your family to handle any important things.

As for your car, here is what I have done.  I have kept it in my name and added my Dad, he is subleasing from me and I have added him to all of the paperwork.  I found it difficult to sell because there are so many good deals at dealerships.  Also, I found out that my SUV is worth double in the UK so we may have it shipped later if it seems worthwhile and sell it for a better profit.

I hope none of this is redundant!
PS Do you have all of your paperwork done for visa?
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2002, 04:58:19 PM »
Don't forget to book your flight!  ;)

Aw crap, I knew I was forgetting something!!! ;) 

Oh, and if you are keeping your bank account in the States, then make sure you are set up to bank online.

I hadn't thought of this. MY bank does allow me to check my balance online and see what checks have cleared, but thats all. Hmm... I'll look into this. Thanks!

PS Do you have all of your paperwork done for visa?

Nope! I'm going over on my passport for 5 months then returning to America for a month, then either flying BACK to the UK with Visa (or some other plan) in hand - or he follows me to America and we stay here. Who knows. So many possibilities that my mind would catch on fire if I tried to figure it out. But that's what these 5 months together are for - to figure it out. :)

Thanks (and everyone else) for your posts - - - I'm sure I"ll keep you updated. ;)

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2002, 05:00:21 PM »
Oops one more suggestion,
The banking issue is easy for me.  You need to find someone there who has a "friendly banker" you know a live person that they deal with on a regular basis.  Have that person walk you in to the banker and personally recommend you and you should have no problems.  A personal recommendation from an existing British account holder seems to hold more weight than bank letters.  

You can also try setting up your own company (similar to here).  I did this with my husband's accountant already and I haven't even left yet.  I just have to sign some paperwork when I arrive with my visa and then he will set up banking , etc.  
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2002, 05:02:42 PM »
You can also try setting up your own company (similar to here).  I did this with my husband's accountant already and I haven't even left yet.  I just have to sign some paperwork when I arrive with my visa and then he will set up banking , etc.

That is a very clever suggestion! How'd you come up with that??  :)

Marlespo, as it was discussed on another thread, I just thought of you on this (blokes look away now) might also want to get a physical and any other ob-gyn stuff taken care of, as you will not be able to get NHS paid healthcare while you're here to visit!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 05:04:37 PM by admin »

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2002, 06:43:25 PM »
Leah, that's a great idea. I can't believe I remember my eyes and my teeth, but forgot about my mommy parts!!!

LOL

Gonna go hook myself UP.

Sponsored Links