Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: agencies ignoring me  (Read 1335 times)

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
agencies ignoring me
« on: February 13, 2004, 09:40:43 PM »
I have taken someone's advice and have tried to start communicating with agencies, even though I am still in America.  I have written to a few and explained my situation - I will be moving to London and legally able to work around the end of April and am simply wondering if they would review my resume and let me know if they think I might be an appropriate fit for their company.
Along with wanting to get in communication with some agencies that once I am able to work I can call then up and they know me, but also to get some printed notice that I am a qualified canidate and they might sometime in the future have work for me so I can send this in with my VAF2 to prove I can get a job.

Sooooo, I have found that the few agencies I have sent my resume to and followed up with have simply chosen not to aknowlege my existance, and other agencies that list jobs on www.monster.co.uk specifically say that they will will only consider people who CURRENLTY reside in the UK and can work.

Did anyone get in touch with agencies before they moved?  Are there any they can recommend?  Any advice?
I know I can't secure a job this early in advance and this far away, but I would at least feel a bit better if they would write back and say "Yes, you look like you may be an assett to our company, so contact us when you arrive."

blah.

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: agencies ignoring me
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 10:33:43 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand, agencies can't put you on their books until you can legally work. Once you get there and can prove you can work, you'll have them bugging you at all hours of the day.

Try not to fret over it and just be sure to contact them again once you have moved.

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 10:40:43 PM »
Once I am there and before we have married and I obtained my FLR, is it worth trying to talk with agencies and giving them the date that I will have my FLR and able to work?  Or should I just wait until I have it in hand to even bother?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 12:38:10 AM »
Personally, I waited. I found that agencies were more welcoming when they could sign you on immediately.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 12:45:22 PM »
Yeah - they're interested in filling the jobs on their books now, not worried about jobs in the future.  Like Ashley says, you'll have them bugging you all the time.  Some of the ones I signed up with last year are *still* contacting me even though I've told them I'm employed and very happy!

Don't fret, lizabeth.  You'll be fine!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 01:45:53 PM »
I agree with Ashley and Peedal....there are tons of temps here in London, so agencies aren't exactly screaming for people to sign up with them.  They can't legally put you on their books or even process your application at all until you are here and legally able to work.

I wouldn't worry too  much if I were you.  Get here, get your head around how the tube works and how many different shades of black you can stomach wearing in a week, and then go apply.  You'll find something very quickly.  :)

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 09:32:15 PM »
I did contact one agency before I came over and that was because it was a UK branch of an agency I was working for in the US.  I also waited until I had a date to arrive before really touching base and then I e-mailed my CV and made an appointment for after I arrived.  Unfortunately, while the US branch I was dealing with was quite good, the UK branch really sucked.  There's TONS of agencies here though and I would either wait until you have a date when you'll be here or just wait until you get here.  A lot of them will want to test you on your skills as well.  Best of luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab