Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number  (Read 25802 times)

• Liked: 65
Re: National Insurance Number
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
I have a National Insurance number already from when I previously lived in the UK with ILR in 2002-2005 .

We are going back to the UK in 2018 and I know I have to get a Spouse VISA, but will my NIN remain the same?
Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
I have a National Insurance number already from when I previously lived in the UK with ILR in 2002-2005 .

We are going back to the UK in 2018 and I know I have to get a Spouse VISA, but will my NIN remain the same?

It should stay the same - I believe once it has been issued, you keep it for life (it's like a SSN# in that respect).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Hi,

My wife has her BRP and is just filling out her details for her first job in the UK. (She's from the US, moved here after we were married on a spouse visa) Is her NI number one of the numbers and letters on the back of her BRP or do we need to apply for it separately?

Many thanks

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »
Hi,

My wife has her BRP and is just filling out her details for her first job in the UK. (She's from the US, moved here after we were married on a spouse visa) Is her NI number one of the numbers and letters on the back of her BRP or do we need to apply for it separately?

Many thanks

No, you need to apply for it separately.

I believe only certain employer-sponsored work visas have the NI number issued on the back of the BRP. Everyone else has to apply for it.

See here for how to apply for an NI number:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

• Liked: 65
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
I have a NIN from when I lived in the UK previously from 1998-2005.

Since I didn't know my ILR would become null and void after two years (GRRR!) I am now preparing to apply for a spouse visa so that we can move back this summer. Will I keep the same NIN or will I have to get a new one?
Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:55 AM »
You keep your NIN for life - it’s like a SSN, it’s unique to you and you can’t have more than one.

If you don’t remember what yours is, you can find out here:
https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »
Hello - re the NIN, I'm trying to obtain mine before I actually arrive in the UK. I went to a Job Centre on my last visit and was told that I couldn't get one if I wasn't looking for work or signing up for benefits; I in fact won't be working and will not be getting any benefits for a while once I've moved. Anyone with experiences similar? I'm assuming having the number will smooth a lot of processes we'll need to do once arrived, but they were pretty firm in not giving me one. Will I in fact need it to do anything other than employment or benefits?

Thanks

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »
Hello - re the NIN, I'm trying to obtain mine before I actually arrive in the UK. I went to a Job Centre on my last visit and was told that I couldn't get one if I wasn't looking for work or signing up for benefits; I in fact won't be working and will not be getting any benefits for a while once I've moved. Anyone with experiences similar? I'm assuming having the number will smooth a lot of processes we'll need to do once arrived, but they were pretty firm in not giving me one. Will I in fact need it to do anything other than employment or benefits?

Thanks

You cannot apply for a National Insurance number until you have your visa, because you have to be able to prove your right to live and work in the UK in order to apply for one.

However, if you aren't planning to work, then there isn't really any need to apply for a National Insurance number anyway. The reason most people apply soon after arriving is because a) it makes it easier to apply for jobs (as most employers ask for your NI number on the application form) and also so that b) they make sure they are paying the correct amount of income tax on their employment earnings.

You cannot claim benefits for the first 5 years anyway, since you need to have ILR in order qualify for benefits, so that won't be an issue for you, and if you aren't working, you won't need to make use of the employment-based benefits based on NI contributions either.

So, really, the only reason for you to apply for one right away is if you plan to make voluntary National Insurance contributions towards your state pension for the future.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:38 PM »
Thank you very much - accidental omission on my part, I'm already a citizen through UKM and we're just waiting until the spring to move. Does this change anything? I thought I might need one to lease a flat, get credit, get a phone, utilities, these things. I don't know if it acts sort of like ID as our SSN does. Also, I lived and worked in the UK in 1980-81; I can't find records, and UK.GOV is currently not letting me in to search for a NIN if I already have one. Would they have used the NIN back then?

Thanks Again

• Liked: 718
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
Thank you very much - accidental omission on my part, I'm already a citizen through UKM and we're just waiting until the spring to move. Does this change anything? I thought I might need one to lease a flat, get credit, get a phone, utilities, these things. I don't know if it acts sort of like ID as our SSN does. Also, I lived and worked in the UK in 1980-81; I can't find records, and UK.GOV is currently not letting me in to search for a NIN if I already have one. Would they have used the NIN back then?

Thanks Again

The NIN is not used like an id and is not needed for most things. When our son moved back to England last year it was some weeks by the time he got one and by then he had already registered to vote, opened a bank account, joined the library and started work.

If you worked back in 1980/81 then you almost certainly have one. If the website is not letting you in to find it then give them a call, and tell them you have worked here in the past and need it to apply to pay voluntary contributions. Even if you don’t intend to pay voluntary contributions that should be reason enough for them to look it for you. But really, you will not need it before moving back and not even then unless or until you wish to apply for benefits.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
I did hit a roadblock in applying for a Blue Badge because I didn't have a NIN.  Then when I phoned to apply for a NIN, they wouldn't let me apply because I wasn't looking for work or benefits.  Ultimately, I phoned back and lied about seeking work so they would let me apply for the NIN so I could apply for the Blue Badge.  Now I have both.  But it was an ordeal.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
Hey everyone! I have UK residence card as EU family member (and it's on card "permitted to work in UK") and now started looking for the job in UK. Do I need to apply for this number? How?

My husband who is EU citizen didn't northing himself when got job in UK so he has no clue :)
Thank you in advance!

Отправлено с моего Redmi Note 5 через Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
You need to apply for an NI number - see here for how to do it:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Your husband should have applied for one when he arrived in the U.K. as well. Because while it is possible to start working before getting an NI number, if you don’t have one, you will be taxed at the emergency tax rate, instead of the correct tax rate.

So, if your husband has not applied for an NI number, he may be paying too much income tax. Once he gets his NI number and tax code sorted, he should get a refund of any overpayments of income tax.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab