Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: anyone done a visa by mail?  (Read 6802 times)

• Liked: 0
anyone done a visa by mail?
« on: October 16, 2002, 10:28:19 AM »
I was curious as this is how I planned to do it.Everywhere I've checked(website-local consulate)says I must apply through the LA office-which is 1400 miles away!!Eveyone says it is quick once you get there but that's a heck of a trip for a breif visit!Someone said the Chicago office does it which is a little closer and I have a friend there
Moving to England soon-learning as much as possible now

• Maine to London
Re: anyone done a visa by mail?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 10:38:54 AM »
Hi Gearjammer351,
Are you talking about a fiance visa?  If so, I did mine by mailing it to NYC, and I received it within 4 weeks.  
expat
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 10:47:51 AM »
I should have been more specific-a spouse visa.I don't like the idea of trusting all of this paperwork to the postal service but I don't want to travel to LA either >:(Why can't they just do this here in Texas-there is a consulate here in Dallas and one in Houston,neither one does visas!
BTW does anyone know if the Chicago office still does visas?That's closer than LA.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 11:28:56 AM »
I did my Spouse visa via the Chicago office 3 years ago, I'm sure they still do them. I did it by mail, and it took 2 weeks. As long as paperwork is all in order it shouldn't take much longer. I would expect a fiance visa to take a bit longer as it's not as cut and dried as a spouse visa is.

That sure is a long distance for you, call the Chicago embassy and see if it's alright for you to apply there if you're going to make the journey, their documents seem to say that you have to apply at specified office, but I know people have applied at other offices because they happen to be travelling and nearby. Hope that helps.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 04:51:14 PM »
I did my spousal visa at the Chicago consular's office in January this year, so unless something changed in the last 9 months!  But I checked their website and they still do them.  Here's the link:  http://www.britainusa.com/chicago/

I find it incredible that the Houston and Dallas offices don't do visas.  All the best!  Keep us posted!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 10:43:46 PM »
Thanks everyone-I've sent an e-mail to the Chicago office and I will ring them up if I don't get a response soon. [smiley=hug.gif]

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 07:28:41 PM »
Can you use FedEx to send the applications, etc.?  We FedExed our apps and stuff to the New York consulate on a Wed. morning, I got them back via FedEx that Friday.  Now, these were just Work Permit Dependent visas, but still, I trust FedEx for fast service, and you can track your package(s).  It didn't cost more than $20 each way.

Stephanie

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2002, 12:39:12 AM »
Thanks Steph-why didn't I think of that? [smiley=goofy.gif] Hey looks like we will be neighbors,I'll be living in Camberley soon.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 03:50:46 PM »
Cool -- just up the road!  Our new house is in Ripley, about 3 miles east of Woking.  Can't wait until mid-Nov. when our stuff gets here and we can move in!

Good luck w/ all the visa stuff.  I worried myself sick over it and it was the easiest part of the entire deal.  :)

Stephanie

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2002, 10:14:06 PM »
We've already got the house and I'll be there mid to late November myself!Good luck

HmmmmRe: anyone done a visa by mail?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2002, 07:56:33 PM »
Hmmmm...new here today and just surfing around...feel like I accidentally walked into a party and everybody is talking about the subject of my greatest interest...can anybody help me...I have been travelling back and forth since June from the states to London whilst converting a friendship to a relationship...immigration said upon my return on Saturday to Gatwick that next time I would be denied entrance without entry clearance...thought I could stay 6 months???  She said the IO's decision is final and not appealable...basically on the next flight out...got my attention now!

We would like to get married in late Dec and I have a ticket back to Kansas City for Jan 9th.  Could anyone out there help us to sequence the documentary requirements so I don't find myself "Stuck in the States"???  Would REALLY appreciate it!!

Lovin' the site so far!!!!!!!!!

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2002, 08:31:46 PM »
Hey Sharpshooter,

First welcome to the board. You will find this to be a very helpful, friendly bunch and no matter how complicated you think you're situation is, I'll bet you a beer, somebody here has the answer you need.  ;) (also as for immigration horror stories... oh there are many here on this board, so feel free to share, you're among friends and veterans of the immigration game  ;D )
Friendly suggestion, if you post on the introductions board, explain your situation, and a little more about your plans (do you plan to be married here in England, back home, etc...) you'll be amazed by the responses and how helpful people can be.
You can always also post a new thread in this same board, which would help as well. I'd hate for your questions to get missed being at the end of a different thread.

Best of luck to you both. Hope we can help.
Red
You're a daisy if you do........

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2002, 10:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, Red...Planning to marry here...thinking Gloucester...and then going back to the States for a week or so on Jan 9th...Should I apply for a fiance visa or skip that step and go straight for the spousal visa since we plan to marry before I leave the country again (can I do it through the consul in Chicago by mail from here??)...or...can we even marry if I don't have a visa...what is required to get married here??? I've been to high powered websites such as the embassy and local registry but individual cases are so specific and they are generally experts in the big picture...I feel like I have a handle on some of the answers but from a practical standpoint, don't know if I am asking the right questions.  That's why this site is so exciting!!!!

Soooooooo...
1) Can I apply for a visa to come here, from here???
2) What documentation is required to get married here? (Fiance is English)
3)  Should I get a fiance visa immediately which will allow me back into the country after my Jan 9th trip to the states since it could be tight getting the marriage certificate together with all the other stuff in time to get a spousal visa to avoid getting turned away in mid Jan??
4) What else should I be thinking about???

I will try to get an intro written tonight...thanks again for the input!

All the best!

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 05:57:53 AM »
Hey Sharpshooter,
 Firstly welcome.I am rather new here myself and we are in a similar situation except one detail-we are getting married in the US.The fiance' visa is difficult to get as your intended must prove that they can feed,clothe,and house you indefinitely if you haven't already got a job in the UK.Also once you come in on the fiance' visa you have a time limit to get married(6 months).Only after the marriage could you APPLY for work authorisation and a few months later you could work.
 My betrothed and I decided that we were miserable apart and that we must be together ASAP and we did a considerable amount of research and determined the quickest way.Get married(we are getting married in the US-it's easier) I will then apply for a spouse visa(couple of hours-couple of weeks,depends if you mail it or walk in with it)then I will move over and we get on with our life(spouse visa authorises you to work).This is the absolute fastest way but it depends if you are truly ready for the marriage thing.The IND website is useful but a bit vague on a few things so check back here once you are in the process and see what others' have dealt with-supporting documentation etc.I am getting married soon(10 days!!!),and I am going in person to the Chicago consulate to apply for the visa-I've decied that I don't want to risk mailing the papaerwork.Look here first to get an idea

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

There are a lot of people on this forum who married in the UK and they will be more help than me if you do get married there,just be aware that you won't be able to work for a few months and the visa is more difficult to get

P.S. what's up with the name,are you a shooter?

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2002, 11:52:00 PM »
Just wanted to clarify one little thing that Chris said....

You can work right after you are married here in the UK.  There is no waiting for months for that to happen.  I was working two weeks after my wedding, and hadn't looked even looked at all before that, so it can be done.

If you are getting married here, you are going to have to do two things:

1 - Prove that you didn't plan on getting married when you came.  This can be tricky as they generally want a bit of proof that you didn't intend to stay when you entered the country.

2 - Apply for a spousal visa at the Home Office.  Croydon awaits, Sharpshooter!  If you go in person to Croydon with your marriage certificate and the proof that you didn't enter the UK intending to get married and/or settle, you'll walk out of the office with visa in hand.  You can then leave the UK and enter as you please, and can get work the next day if you like.

Hope this helps a bit!

Sponsored Links