Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410317 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4605 on: December 15, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »
2.  Been a horrible week with the whole family ill, particularly the baby.  I am sooooooo over us being unhealthy.  It’s been a bad autumn health wise!

It's nursery!  Sending your daughter off to that incubator of bugs is what's making your family ill.  But it's good for her social and cognitive development, and she's building her immunity for the future.  It's necessary, unfortunately.

I hope those interviews pan out to an attractive job offer very soon.  Maybe your friends are right and you're still in consideration for Oracle.  :)  I've been getting the sense that the hiring process is all in slow motion here compared to in the US.

My five:

1. My husband comes home tonight!  Only 5 more hours 'til he starts the drive.

2. My sister recommended a beer she likes (we both previously shared an opinion of beer that would make PB sad), so I ordered some.  And then I planned a meal around it.  So tonight's dinner is going to be kielbasa with cabbage and potatoes.  I'm really looking forward to the food.  I'm regretting the amount of beer I bought.  My sister had better be right about this... she doesn't like beer, but she likes this one.  I like the aroma of beer, but am always let down by the taste.  I'm slightly nervous about this -- I really really want to like it!  (I'm hoping this is another revelation moment, like when I tasted eggnog last week.)

3.  And speaking of, I ordered a jug from Amazon Prime so we could make a larger batch of eggnog to store it in the refrigerator.  Someone rang my doorbell this morning, but by the time I got to the door a white van was leaving my house.  No card, no parcel, nothing.  I checked the cameras: the van drove in at 10:55:42, and drove out again at 10:56:14.  Within that 32-second window, the driver stopped the van, parked and got out, walked to my door, rang the doorbell, "waited", got back in, and drove off again.  It wasn't humanly possible for me to get to the door any quicker.  I am sad and a bit annoyed at the thought that it might have been my parcel failing to be delivered, but I don't know who else it could have been.

4.  My father in law bought a couple of tabletop bandsaws from a local (to him) buy&sell group, and when we were visiting last week, he gave us our pick.  It's still sitting in my lounge (cast iron... it sits wherever my husband leaves it), but I am eager to see how well tuned it is or isn't.  We've been window-shopping bandsaws for a while now, and this one should get us through 'til we can get the larger one we want.

5.  My sister recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL, and was on medical leave for 6 weeks.  During this time, she learned to knit to pass the time.  Now I am in line to receive a scarf and a blanket.  In return, I am making gifts for her in the workshop.  I don't think we'll shop retail for each other ever again.  We're both really excited to give and get these gifts!

Bonus: I feel festive... like holiday spirit, festive.  This is the first Christmas that I have felt even a glimmer of "Christmassy" since 2012 (the last one I spent with my dad). I even wanted to do a tree or lights, but I dismissed this as impractical given our house's condition.  But I wanted to.  That's something, right?!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:19:40 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4606 on: December 15, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
I'll be dreaming about a giant jug of eggnog in the fridge.  No glass required, just take the occasional sneaky taste.

« Reply #4607 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
I'll be dreaming about a giant jug of eggnog in the fridge.  No glass required, just take the occasional sneaky taste.

Exactly!  And the parcel was stealthy-ninja-delivered sometime today!  I don't know what that nonsense just before 11am was, but Amazon delivered, so I don't care!  Eggnog is go!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4608 on: December 22, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
Friday!

1.) Last workday of 2017 for me. YAY!

2.) Nothing like getting a new boss on the last day of the year. And getting a boss who is in California. And has no clue what we do in this busy manufacturing environment.  And I'm getting looked over for any good projects and shoved in a corner and forgotten about. I'm feeling all pretty blah about my job and career prospects. 2018 will be lots of change for this place too and I'm not sure where I will fall.  (Sorry for the rant)

3.) Carolling in supermarkets for 8 hours this weekend to raise money for our brass band. 

4.)  Having a conversation with my hubster this morning about Christmas  Day and having him agree with his Mum and not seeing my side.  Annoying.   I think they're probably right, I just need to come to that side of the argument. 

5.) Have a great Christmas UKY!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4609 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
1.  My parents arrive tomorrow!

2.  We’ll be at Peppa Pig World!   ;D  My parents booked to come after we had booked PP World.  My kid will be soooo eager to leave and get home.

3.  I’m taking my car to get washed inside and out today.  First time in the 2.5 years I’ve owned it.  I expect to find out it’s a different colour!

4.  I have no dessert for Christmas Day.  It’s too damn hard with all the allergies!

5.  My parents are bringing the suitcase we mistakenly left behind in September!  Woohoo!

« Reply #4610 on: December 22, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
2.) Nothing like getting a new boss on the last day of the year. And getting a boss who is in California. And has no clue what we do in this busy manufacturing environment.  And I'm getting looked over for any good projects and shoved in a corner and forgotten about. I'm feeling all pretty blah about my job and career prospects. 2018 will be lots of change for this place too and I'm not sure where I will fall.  (Sorry for the rant)

No need to apologize... I imagine the uncertainty is causing you a fair bit of stress.  Hopefully, they'll realize your worth and start giving you relevant projects soon so you don't feel so threatened.  Ugh.  Hang in there.

My five:

1.  My husband is home tonight!

2.  We're back to playing "mystery ingredient challenge" and tonight's ingredient is turmeric, with the restriction that what I make can't just be a curry.  I have settled on this, but I'm omitting the onions ( :\\\'( I'm allergic), and I've modified the method for making it in the slow-cooker:  https://www.everydaymaven.com/one-pot-turmeric-chicken-with-vegetables/  Oh, and I'll probably put in a much higher proportion of tomatoes, and I won't bother with de-seeding them because who has time for that?

3.  Somewhere along the way, I became obsessed with food, and my anticipation of the weekend is gauged on how many tasty meals we have planned.  And this weekend, my husband is home for 4 days (one day will be in Bristol with his family, so *wrinkled nose* we could get ham and gravy again)...!  We're having the turmeric chicken tonight, Mexican platter tomorrow night, steak with potatoes au gratin Sunday, roast turkey on Monday, and I think we'll just explode on Tuesday.  I am so stupidly excited about all the tastiness I am about to enjoy.

4.  We bought a bandsaw on eBay!  11" vertical cutting clearance!  If it's even remotely tuned, this will be a game changer!  We know we need to replace the blade, but otherwise, the seller suggested that it just needs to be set up and we're good to go. But even if it needs more conditioning than that, we got it for such a good price, we're happy to do a little work to get it to where we need it.

5.  It's Christmas, and I'm feeling it!  Happy Christmas to everybody who celebrates it in any fashion.  Belated happy other-holidays to those who observe other ones (Kwanzaa, Hanukkah/Chanukah, Yule, Festivus, the solstice, whatever I've forgotten)!  And for you totally non-observing people, happy day that we're all still alive!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:44:50 AM by jfkimberly »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4611 on: December 22, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »

2.  We're back to playing "mystery ingredient challenge" and tonight's ingredient is turmeric, with the restriction that what I make can't just be a curry.  I have settled on this, but I'm omitting the onions ( :\\\'( I'm allergic), and I've modified the method for making it in the slow-cooker:  https://www.everydaymaven.com/one-pot-turmeric-chicken-with-vegetables/  Oh, and I'll probably put in a much higher proportion of tomatoes, and I won't bother with de-seeding them because who has time for that?

That sounds delicious!  May use this with leftover turkey from Christmas.  Have you tried Tumeric Lattes?  They are lovely, but beware it leaves everything yellow!

1)  I got to talk to my dad today... he updated his Skype and it wasn't compatible with either of my Skype versions.  So I made my brother download FB Messenger to his phone.  It worked a charm :)

2)  I have our Christmas meals planned along with all the cooking timings and prep, although I bought another ham because I forgot that I had already bought one last week.  You can never have too much ham!

3)  I sent of my FLR(M) application today.  So glad it is finished, but slightly worried about the outcome...

4)  We nearly have the place unpacked, which is not only nice for us, but as my partner's mum is arriving on the 26th, it will be nice for her as well.

5)  My brother just sent me a message that the unicorn blankets I made for my nieces have arrived!  Even though I sent the package in November and we thought it was lost, I'm going to pretend like I meant for it to arrive this close to Christmas :)

Happy Holidays everyone and hope you have an even better 2018!
Online application completed: 15 Jan 2015
Biometrics: 21 Jan 2015
Application posted via UPS Express: 28 Jan 2015
Application received at Sheffield: 30 Jan 2015
Email confirmation: 5 Feb 2015
Email asking for confirmation of return address:  12 Feb 2015
Visa decision: 13 Feb 2015
Visa received: 16 Feb 2015
Flight Booked:  26 Feb 2015
Arrived in UK: 28 Feb 2015
Married:  27 Apr 2015
FLR (M):  29 May 2015

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4612 on: December 22, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
JF, what's on your Mexican platter?

« Reply #4613 on: December 22, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »
JF, what's on your Mexican platter?

Taquitos (filled with shredded spicy chicken and a tiny bit of cheese), homemade guacamole, refried beans (from a tin... do not use Tesco own brand!  These are the best, but we can't get them from our local Tesco so we get Old El Paso and add chili sauce to them), a bit of creme fraiche (because sour cream is not the same over here!), and chopped lettuce & tomato 'salad'.  I have also done Mexican rice in the past, but that was when I had a proper stove with multiple burners.

This is what it used to look like when I was foolishly putting some of the extra chicken on the salad, before we discovered Sunday Salad (a mountain of taco salad using leftover ingredients and crushed tortilla chips):

Now it looks more green and fresh, because there's less meat on the plate covering up the palate-cleansing salad bits. :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4614 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
Taquitos (filled with shredded spicy chicken and a tiny bit of cheese), homemade guacamole, refried beans (from a tin... do not use Tesco own brand!  These are the best, but we can't get them from our local Tesco so we get Old El Paso and add chili sauce to them), a bit of creme fraiche (because sour cream is not the same over here!), and chopped lettuce & tomato 'salad'.  I have also done Mexican rice in the past, but that was when I had a proper stove with multiple burners.

This is what it used to look like when I was foolishly putting some of the extra chicken on the salad, before we discovered Sunday Salad (a mountain of taco salad using leftover ingredients and crushed tortilla chips):

Now it looks more green and fresh, because there's less meat on the plate covering up the palate-cleansing salad bits. :)

Those look wonderful!
I think those would be called 'flautas' in California-- probably just a silly regional thing based on the type of tortilla used.   I hope the taquitos i'm making on Boxing day turn out as nice as yours.  :)

« Reply #4615 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
Those look wonderful!
I think those would be called 'flautas' in California-- probably just a silly regional thing based on the type of tortilla used.   I hope the taquitos i'm making on Boxing day turn out as nice as yours.  :)

I have not been able to figure out the distinction between flautas and tortillas.  The Mexican buffet we used to go to in San Antonio (Pancho's, anybody?) served flautas, which were similar, and I was the only one in my family to realize how awesome they were... nobody else ate them.  But taquitos are basically the same thing, aren't they?

... (a few minutes later) ...

I Googled it.  They're very similar, but not quite the same.  Since we make ours with "corn and flour tortillas", and not just flour tortillas, I think mine really are taquitos.  Yay!

« Reply #4616 on: December 22, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
1.  Between all the food gifts we have received, the stuff we already had, and the stuff for Christmas dinner, our fridge is absolutely packed full.

2.  I discovered a website that sells health food, vitamins, supplements, etc for REALLY cheap, cos the stuff is all past it's 'best before' date.  I take this supplement called Sambucol, which is normally around £13 a bottle, and I got several bottles for £1 each! 

3.  I feel totally gorged from all the choccies, sweets and cakes we've had at work all week.   :-X

4.  Saw a mistle thrush today

5.  Emailed my boss asking for a seat move.  I'm going to seriously lose it with one of my colleagues if I don't move out of hearing distance...

« Reply #4617 on: December 29, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
1.  Last day of work for 2017.
2.  My OH is on a train to Manchester to get a flight to Munich, so I will be spending Hogmanay on my todd.
3.  Nevermind - Tesco delivery tonight and I'm off work till the 3rd - I'm sure the time will fly in.
4.  Snowing quite a bit here in Clydebank today, and someone has built a snowman in the car park of my work.
5.  Best wishes to everyone on UKY for 2018, when it comes!

« Reply #4618 on: December 29, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
2.  My OH is on a train to Manchester to get a flight to Munich, so I will be spending Hogmanay on my todd.
3.  Nevermind - Tesco delivery tonight and I'm off work till the 3rd - I'm sure the time will fly in.

Are you going out anywhere to celebrate, or will you stay in and enjoy your Tesco nibbles (and bubbles?)?

My five:

1.  My husband is home again tonight, after only being away for two nights this week, because Christmas!  It's gone so quickly!  Yay!  :)

2.  The only plan we have for meals is we moved Mexican Platter to tonight, rather than Saturday, because we like to watch cooking shows on Saturday morning and then my husband feels inspired to get creative in the kitchen.  But if we're only having Mexican Platter, there's little room for creativity.  So now we have no plan for Saturday night (or Monday night, but hopefully that will be pizza)!  But we have lots of ingredients, so hopefully inspiration will strike and we will have what we need to achieve it.

3.  My FIL picked up a couple of small bandsaws second-hand because he found two deals within about a week of each other, and gave us our pick between them.  Then we found a large bandsaw listed on eBay so we bought that for ourselves for Christmas.  So we went from not having a bandsaw to having two bandsaws in a very short span of time.  Now we just need to put new blades on them and check (possibly replace) the bearings, to get them set up.  Yay!

4.  My husband really loved the card I made him.  :)

5.  2017 is very nearly over, and we all survived!  It was a somewhat challenging year for me at times, but I have high hopes for the next one.  May 2018 be better and brighter for us all!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:40:13 PM by jfkimberly »

« Reply #4619 on: December 29, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Are you going out anywhere to celebrate, or will you stay in and enjoy your Tesco nibbles

No, I'm a real home-body, and not much of a celebrator, either.  I am unlikely to leave the flat at all between now and when I go back to work!

Sponsored Links