Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410271 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4665 on: January 12, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
Please do not get that impression.  I am very proud to now be British.  I am disappointed in Brexit, just as I'm disappointed in Trump.  Both were silly votes but the countries behind the votes are still very very good.  And I'm proud to be a citizen of both.

Thanks KFd, I was just overtaken by a wave of patriotism and what I said just had to come out.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4666 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
Thanks KFd, I was just overtaken by a wave of patriotism and what I said just had to come out.  :)

I have no plans to live anywhere else in Europe and don't see me ever wanting to take advantage of that.

For me, it's more that I'm disappointed that my kids won't have that opportunity.  One of those weird things that happens when you reproduce - you want the world to be their oyster!

« Reply #4667 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
Well, for the fourth time in three months, I got a big fat rejection.  THIS SUCKS.

Ugh, please pray that something lands soon.  I am 100% okay with taking a contract.  I just need something soon.  I love my baby.... but mama needs to work.  My sanity depends on it!

I’m sorry.  :\\\'(. But you know, this reminds me of years ago when I wanted a promotion. I applied for job after job and didn’t get anything. Next thing I answered an ad for a job in Southern California.... ;D

« Reply #4668 on: January 12, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
I’m sorry.  :\\\'(. But you know, this reminds me of years ago when I wanted a promotion. I applied for job after job and didn’t get anything. Next thing I answered an ad for a job in Southern California.... ;D

Not going to lie - today I have wondered if this is a sign that it's time to repatriate.  But I tend to be rather dramatic in my emotional reactions....   ::)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4669 on: January 12, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
KFDancer, I am so sorry  :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4670 on: January 12, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
KFDancer, I am so sorry  :\\\'(

Thanks, I'm licking my wounds.

It just sucks as for my role the interviews get so in depth.  I've been interviewing for this job for two months, interviewed with over 20 people, and still got the ax.  I would have felt for the other candidate had I been successful.  It's a big investment emotionally.  I was already laying out 30/60/90 day plans at home ready to pull the trigger.

And I really hate the bullshit line of "if the USA round doesn't go well, they really want to come back to you".   ::)

• Liked: 85
« Reply #4671 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »
Feeling that way, I’m curious as to why you would want to collect another?

I’m not being facetious, it’s just that I’ve never heard that opinion before from anyone so just genuinely curious.  :)

Fair enough. Far cleverer people than I, who are actual social theorists and not just interested parties, have written volumes on the subject. But, given that there is no inherent moral importance in being a citizen of one place or another, and that pride as a concept indicates some degree of superlativeness, I am unable to delineate the rationale that leads from a fact of citizenship to a feeling of pride. It doesn't make sense to me. The first citizenship was a function of the sheer randomness of the universe, the second will be a function of bureaucracy -- these are mere facts, not achievements and, therefore, pride does not factor into either.

I do, of course, struggle with the morality of taking advantage of my socio-economic privilege, and having the opportunity to pursue additional citizenship(s). However, as stated, this is the system in which I must work, one that has further commodified the concept of citizenship, particularly in tandem with the entrenchment of late-stage capitalism. My ability to feel comfortable is a matter, then, of how I use that privilege, especially once my voice has been legitimised. 'Collecting' some degree of security of my status is therefore important.

As we believe in fewer borders, not more, one of the reasons we chose the UK over the US as a partnership was being able to participate in a system without (very broadly speaking) hard borders. Although this extends to a bloc of states and not all countries, it represents the kernel of an ideal (despite the neo-liberal implications). My disappointment is born of losing out on the ability to use my impending 'legitimacy' to contribute to the development of the ideals of free movement, and to partake of the opportunities it presents. Disappointment is not necessarily an opposite of pride, and the absence of pride and existence of disappointment in this case are neither related nor mutually exclusive.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4672 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
Yeah, I've seen your mentions of lung issues.  I don't think I've said anything, but I can totally identify.  Mine is complicated by the fact that I also have asthma, so on top of not having a lot of lung capacity, sometimes I struggle to use what I do have.  I spent most of my early childhood with recurring pneumonia.  And an overnight stay in Albuquerque in early 2011 very nearly did me in. (HAPE is no joke!  It took about a month for me to feel fully recovered.  Now I research my travel to make sure I won't find myself staying at higher elevations for too long, and I limit long flights... hence, no visits home since I moved here 5 years ago.)

Yerks. Before the docs explained (or knew, completely) what was going on with me, I visited a ski resort in Utah for the graduation of one of the Daughter's friends. The air was soooooo thin, never doing that again!  So it does sound like you will have to use a cruise, then?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4673 on: January 13, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
Yerks. Before the docs explained (or knew, completely) what was going on with me, I visited a ski resort in Utah for the graduation of one of the Daughter's friends. The air was soooooo thin, never doing that again!  So it does sound like you will have to use a cruise, then?

A cruise seems best.  But it's so time-consuming.  It'll be a while before I'm ready to embark on such an epic journey.  I'll just keep waiting for my family to come to me.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4674 on: January 13, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
  I'll just keep waiting for my family to come to me.  :)

That’s the ticket!  :)

« Reply #4675 on: January 19, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
1.  Job market has definitely picked up.  I've had some very interesting phone calls this week.  We'll see what (if anything) actually sticks.  I am feeling more hopeful though.  It's nice to be wanted.  :)

2.  NEITHER MY HUSBAND NOR I GOT UP WITH THE BABY LAST NIGHT.  He didn't sleep through the night.  Woke a few times but didn't reach the crying level that gets us out of bed.  LONG MAY IT LAST.  Amazing how tired I am today when I actually had a mostly proper night's sleep!   :P

3.  I have a long massage book late this afternoon.  Then dinner with the local American women.  We are eating PHO!!!

4.  No real plans for the weekend.  Skipping swimming on Sunday as my kid wants to go to her boy BFF's birthday party instead.

5.  We haven't seen the inlaws since the Christmas holidays...  I feel like we'll be summoned soon.   ::)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4676 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
1.  staying in for lunch today to try and get a bunch of work done because...
2. I'M ON HOLIDAY NEXT WEEK!
3.  We're off with a group of friends to Manchester Beer Festival -- an annual trek that is always the highlight of my beer-year!  First thing I am going to do is head straight for the Marble bar, and get a pint of Marble Manchester Bitter, then sit down and peruse the guide for the likely next suspect.
4.  Their website seems to indicate that there will be a taco stand amongst the food offerings this year... I am ridiculously excited, but 99% sure they will be disappointing.
5.  Back to work... good thing I have a supply of noodle pots in my desk drawer.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4677 on: January 19, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
2.  NEITHER MY HUSBAND NOR I GOT UP WITH THE BABY LAST NIGHT.
5.  We haven't seen the inlaws since the Christmas holidays...  I feel like we'll be summoned soon.   ::)

Congrats on not getting up!  May this be the first of many nights... and may he get used to you not getting up and start self-soothing himself so the crying doesn't reach any level soon!  And your reference to the in-law visits sounds like how my husband feels about going to see his family.  It's funny, because I only met him because I was acquainted with his dad, so I don't mind as much.

1.  staying in for lunch today to try and get a bunch of work done because...
2. I'M ON HOLIDAY NEXT WEEK!

Woo, holiday!  Tell us all about the tacos after the festival... good or bad!

---

My five:

1.  My husband comes home tonight!  (But you all already knew that.  Some day, this won't be necessary, and I'll have to think of five whole things...  I look forward to it!)

2.  My husband was talking to someone about the background forms he submitted two weekends ago for the civil service job, and learned that the health assessment is processed by Atos and usually takes 6 to 8 weeks.  That made us sad.  But at least something is happening.  If any of you works for Atos, please find his form and fast-track it.  We are so ready.

3.  I found a B&B 3.5 miles from my house that gets overwhelmingly positive reviews wherever I look, and the prices are reasonable.  I have shared the information with my sister, and she is impressed with it.  I think (cautious optimism) she might come to visit in the fall.  Yay!

4.  I still have not got flu.  I might survive the winter.

5.  Noms!  For the last almost-six years, I have not made meatloaf for dinner because I thought that would be viewed by my husband as "a weird American thing", and wouldn't be accepted.  But a random conversation came up and he revealed that he does like meatloaf.  So that's dinner tonight (with some green veg--probably sprouts, and cheesy potatoes).  Tomorrow we're having spinach & ricotta ravioli with a creamy tomato sauce, topped with some crisped black pudding because I have never tried it, and served with asparagus and/or tenderstem broccoli.  Sunday is Mexican Platter.  Have I mentioned I love food?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4678 on: January 19, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
1. No flu. Tired, but no flu. Unreasonably tired - better up the Vit D and multivitamins.

2. It's sleeting like mad outside. And I don't have to be out in it! (The Daughter should be walking home in it right about now, though, sadly. Better go put the tea kettle on, as she's going to need a cuppa.)

3. Just booked an interview for a job (part time) at the University (YESsssss......) in two weeks. Doing a job similar to one I did several years ago an that was my favoritest job (I'm old, I don't have to use "good English" anymore, off-duty). 8)

4. There's a brisket in ale in the crock pot that I put on yesterday which is now falling-apart tender and ready for supper later. Lotsa onion, garlic, and Vietnamese chili sauce in there, too. To serve wrapped in flour tortillas with a buncha good cheddar cheese grated in on top.

5. Ordered my grow light for my gonna-be hydroponic garden and got it on a good sale. It should arrive late next week and then I can plant my peppers. Might start my Cosmonaut Volkoff tomatoes, too.

« Reply #4679 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
Both of your meal plans sound AMAZING.  And have fun at the beer fest Albatross!

I'm happy you will have your own grow house soon Nan.  Hee hee.  Puns intended.

JF - the trying black pudding reminds me of lunch I had with a pal yesterday.  Next year she turns 40 and she's making a list of 40 things to do in her 40th year.  We had fun going through her list.  I've done most.  Then we went through my "UK Bucket List" and she's done most.  Lol!  I'm loving her idea and may do it myself when I turn 40 in many MANY years... okay 2.5 years.   ;D

Sponsored Links