Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410174 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4890 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
1.  Husband's test from his "sample" came back clear.  While we trust the results, we are absolutely terrified to drop our 18 forms of birth control currently in place to prevent a third pregnancy.  Even though it took a year to conceive #2, we are like fearful teenagers!

2.  I felt for Lyonaria this week.  Someone on Facebook asked if they could work remotely for their USA company while on a fiance visa.  She stated the correct guidance and link to the information.  The witch hunt began for her and about 1,000 "know-it-alls" said Lyonaria was wrong.   ::)  That's what I don't "help" on Facebook.

3.  When we first viewed our house, the very first comment my husband made was that the house number needed to go.  It was a fancy ceramic floral plate with the address hand painted on.  Sweet, but very grandma.  Well, we FINALLY upgraded to a simple brushed stainless sleek number (7).  It is a floating number and is back lit with LED lights to glow nicely at night.  Let's just say we may hear of planes mistaking our front garden for Heathrow!  And when we took grandma's plate off, it made us a bit sad as it was dated with the date the owner moved into the house (when it was built).  So we are keeping the plaque - in the garage.   ;D

4.  I have my first real submission at Tuesday's board meeting at work.  I'm bricking it!

5.  The baby really doesn't take much milk from me anymore these days.  I think I'll give it to his first birthday (next month) and then stop nursing.  It's a bit sad, as he's my last baby.  And I've never thought of myself as maternal and REALLY never thought I would be a breastfeeder.  Honestly, I'd keep going even though it's just small amounts if not for the fact that he's been BITING for a good 6 weeks now.  I pull him off and tell him no and he laughs....   ::)  So he has a few weeks left and then Mama gets to eat cheese again!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4891 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
Happy Friday

1.) Another week through work... Trying to keep my chin up to keep it out of the poop, but it's really hard.

2.) Cleaning the garage this weekend. It's in a constant state of needing it....

3.) Hopefully a quiet and restful one, otherwise.

4.) Have kicked off organising some fundraising for the brass band...

5.) Damn you cold weather coming back. I'm really wanting to get out and work in the garden. I think my mental health is really needing it now.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4892 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
Happy Friday

5.) Damn you cold weather coming back. I'm really wanting to get out and work in the garden. I think my mental health is really needing it now.

I was hoping to get spring flowers planted and put up the hanging baskets...  I guess that will wait!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4893 on: March 16, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
Ahh, good luck (break a leg?) at your board meeting tomorrow, KF.  If you have good news to report, picture everybody as the cheese you get to eat soon.  If you have bad news, picture your kid laughing after biting you.

Ooh, PB, is there a thread somewhere about the fundraising?  Is there information on how we can contribute?

My five (drumroll, please!):

1. For the last time in this slot: My husband comes home tonight!

2. I convinced him to end his old job a week early before starting the new one.  We can afford it, and we were already applying for ILR under Category B because of the change in employment, anyway, so it didn't matter if we had a week without pay.  So he's off next week.  :)

3. My in-laws are coming to see our lack-of-progress on Wednesday.  I'm hoping for nice weather because the plan is pizzas in the Uuni.

4. I didn't know the plan was pizzas in the Uuni when I did the shopping.  I bought mushrooms, chorizo, tomatoes, and pineapple to have just in case, but I would've made more effort to get a variety of toppings and some more cheese if I'd known.  But there's always Aldi right down the road.

5.  I cleaned bits of House.  Like, I tried.  I'm not convinced it made any difference.  Visually, certainly not.  But I can tell my husband I did it, and that will be enough. At least he'll see that I found homes for things that had been strewn about.  That made a difference.

Bonus: Life is good!  It feels like my birthday, Christmas, and my wedding day (a mere quick visit to the register office at the time) all rolled into one.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4894 on: March 16, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

WAAAAHOOOO!!!! I am so EXCITED for you two!!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4895 on: March 16, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
Ooh, PB, is there a thread somewhere about the fundraising?  Is there information on how we can contribute?

Oh that's lovely!!!  I've not created anything yet, but I am on the committee and barrelling through the fundraising options. So I will keep UKY informed!  :)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4896 on: March 16, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »

YAY YAY YAY YAY
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4897 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »
1.  My water bottle is today filled with WATERMELON WATER!!!

2.  the lady I sit next to at work has turned 65 this week, and every day she has brought in different cakes to work!  Cant wait to see today's offering!

3.  clocks go forward this weekend

4.  tried to make an appointment online at Boots Opticians.  There is a Boots Opticians in my town... I drive by it every day, and if I stand on a chair, I can almost see it from my flat.  Yet it doesn't come up on the Boots website store locator.  Maddening.

5.  #mooove awaaaaay Jimmy Bluue...before your small, small town turns around and swallows yoooooouuuuu...#  Been listening to Del Amitri this morning.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4898 on: March 23, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Hmmm, it's Friday, isn't it?

1) The rocket, chives, and peppers, as well as some five-spot flowers, are up in the kitchen "garden".  The first of the rocket will be ready to put as baby greens on sandwiches in about a week.  :)  The chives could probably be used now, but I want them to form bulbs and become permanent fixtures, so I'm letting them go on for a while. (And planted a lot more.) The basil is being harvested almost daily. A leaf or two of fresh basil in scrambled eggs (with cheddar cheese) or in tomato soup is a nice way to liven a meal up. The jalepeno peppers are up, but haven't seemed to be doing much over the last few weeks. My assumption is that they are working on creating a root system. I hope. The cayenne peppers transplanted from their egg cartons into a larger planter just fine, and, while tiny still, have added more leaves.

2) I went to B&Q a couple of weeks ago to get some potting soil to transplant some of the houseplants (and to plant the Lilly of the Valley bulbs), and it seems to have been infested with fungus gnats. So I've been dealing with fungus gnats. I really HATE fungus gnats. Had a bad problem with them last year, so this year I ordered live nematodes off of Amazon.They arrived literally the next day (Monday), and are now in the soil. Since they don't harm adult gnats, but only attack the larvae, I'm having to wait to see if they are going to work. I also ordered some yellow sticky traps from another company and they are not here, a week later. :(   The Lily of the Valley pot is severely impacted, so it is now in a big clear plastic bag and I'm hoping the nematodes get busy quickly. The LoV bloomed just prior to the bug epidemic, and it was lovely having the scent of them in my living room.

3) The mylar emergency blankets I ordered (4 for 90 pence) arrived and I've installed two around my "tower of garden". They reflect some of the light back onto the plants, and also are keeping it warmer in the tower. They are thin enough I can see through them to see how the plants are doing.  I think it's helping. I am regretting not going hydroponic. When this crop is done I will do that - the light puts off enough warmth that I think it would work one of those little pumps that use the heat difference to move a cylinder, so it could be sort of self-circulating whenever the light is on.

4) The Daughter is finished with one of the three papers due for this term, as of last night. She says it is ~not~ the steaming pile o' poo that it looked like earlier on in the process, and is happy with it. (She tends to be pretty hard on herself as far as standards of work go, and if it's not up to them she tends to be rather unhappy.) The faculty have given everyone extensions on when the others are due because of the disruption of the strike - the students couldn't meet with faculty to discuss issues related to the papers, so they pretty much couldn't really start writing on them.  So, one down, two to go. (And then, later, the dissertation!)

5) My new stand mixer should be delivered today! Aldi had a sale on little mixers for 50 pounds so I ordered a bright red one.  It doesn't have to be much, just make mashed potatoes and help me with whipping eggs and cream, and mixing batters. My hands hurt a lot lately.  Since the mixer cost approximately what a good hand-held mixer costs, I thought I'd give it a go.  It's one of these, at 600 watts. https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-stand-mixer/p/083041211793600  I really prefer mixers with two beaters over the single planetary paddle, but the price is right, so we'll see how it goes. It comes with a 3 year warranty, too. I'm like a little kid, every time a truck pulls up out front I have to go to the window to see if it's the Hermes guy. And it's not 9:00am yet!  ;D

« Reply #4899 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
1.  We have booked two spectacular holidays for this year.  In May, we are going to Croatia for just over a week and staying in a mountainside villa with sea views and our own heated pool and jacuzzi.  In August, we are going for a few nights on Lake Como in Italy, a week at a villa on a lake with a private pool in Switzerland, and to Milan for a few nights.  All in for both holidays for my family of four is LESS than my ILR and citizenship applications in 2017.

2.  We are off to spend the weekend at a B&B on a working farm.  I plan to cuddle the early born lambs.

3.  It’s been a tough week of balancing being a mom and working.  I’ve wanted to run away from it all at times.

4.  I have been struggling with how frequently my kids get sick here.  I genuinely think the UK is less hygienic than the US.  There, I said it.  I’m amazed at how many people do not wash their hands after using the toilet at work (many DO wash hands, just a huge number don’t).

5.  We are actually suspecting the baby has another allergy that we haven’t identified yet.  Calling the Pediatrician for blood work!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4900 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Happy Friday  ;D

1.) How does one find their mojo at work? I'm in a serious state of uggh.

2.) Hoping we will be able to get in to see the wee Polar Bear this weekend.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-polar-bear-cub

3.) If the weather isn't too sh*t,hopefully lots of gardening this weekend

4.) Please, please, please, please, please, please don't feel like anyone needs to donate, but a few folks have asked about fundraising for the brass band. So here is our GoFundMe link.  https://www.gofundme.com/highlandbrass

5.) I'd like a lie in, but the chickens wake up when the sun comes up and squawk like mad for attention.  So I usually end up getting up to give them a cuddle (chickens love a cuddle, it's hilarious) and give them a treat so that they don't wake up the neighbours. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4901 on: March 23, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
Happy Friday  ;D

1.) How does one find their mojo at work? I'm in a serious state of uggh.

I found that copious amounts of coffee kept me going. I'd have two extra large cups before noon. I can't even drink a small cup with lots of cream in it now without the caffeine making my eyeballs want to pop out. But it worked back then....

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4902 on: March 23, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
Happy Friday Everyone!

1. I'm not dying. At least this week. Still waiting on my NHS referral letter. Almost as bad as waiting on UKVI. I'm at 5 weeks... I refuse to count business days. Lol

2. I have the next 3 days off. I'm getting out for a little bit. I've just been going to work then coming home to sleep. I feel good right now so I'm out for breakfast and light shopping. I've got Tesco delivering my big shop tomorrow.

3. I've been asked to move positions at work.  From lead photo tech to dispensing technician. I said, "Aye." I don't know when that move will happen because we currently have a batch of trainees from other stores but as soon as they are gone I will move.

4. I absolutely love my job. I feel like I found the perfect fit for me, much like I did when I started working at Walgreens.  However,  it is much more difficult to move up in management because no one freaking leaves. I have lots of people at my store who started as Saturday girls and have now been there between 30 and 40 years. Had I stayed at Walgreens,  I would have my own store by now.

5. I need to do something really special for my husband for putting up with me and my illness for all these months now. I've not been very fun to be around.  He's been a real trooper and always let's me know how much he loves and adores me and how gorgeous he thinks I am.

And I agree... way more unsanitary here!! From the no washing of the hands after using the toilet to guys blowing snot out of their nose right onto the street.  Bunch of minging bas' here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4903 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
So I usually end up getting up to give them a cuddle (chickens love a cuddle, it's hilarious)

This is awesome! Love it!  :D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4904 on: March 23, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
I plan to cuddle the early born lambs.

More cuteness!  :D. Can we have pics please? And some of the chickens too pb?  :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab