Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hospitality and food visa- has anyone heard of it?  (Read 829 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Hospitality and food visa- has anyone heard of it?
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any info about it.  Apparently it is the ONLY temporary visa I am eligible for and would allow me to work at a restaurant in the Northern Ireland.  I am in N.I. cuz of a dear boyfriend, we just got finished traveling and I am back here with him.  I have a degree in Journalism and have been out of school for almost 2 years, where I worked at a film production company in los angeles- so I have some work experience, but am in no way a skilled migrant.  I know I can apply for jobs here, but I have to get a company to sponsor me which seems kinda tricky if I don't have lots of experience.  That's why I considered this hospitality visa- it would give me some income while I am looking for a job or doing an internship (I want to work in television and that is how most of those jobs begin.)  I know I will have to go back to America to get entry clearance if I am even eligible for this visa.  The only place that had real info. on it was at workpermits.com, but unfortunately, they wanted £550 to process the visa on top of a £50 service fee on top of a government fee.  Seemed to me like a lot of money down the drain to work as a waitress.  

If only I had a grandparent/parent from the UK or was from one of the 50 commonwealth countries of UK including Canada (that one really burned me) Papua New Guinea, Mozambique, or Lesotho?, and it would have been be working holiday maker for me all the way!

Seriously, though, I think it’s a good thing that the UK is allowing people from all these countries to get a chance to work in their country.  Hats off to them, but what about me...the poor lowly American.  It's creating so much pressure on the relationship between my boyfriend and I.  I just wish the solution was out there ( I guess it is- marriage!) But I never really considered that an option at this point.

Well, I'm going to give the British consulate in Chicago a ring this afternoon and get the lowdown on this hospitality visa and hopefully next time I write I will have the problem solved and be able to offer advice to someone else.  If someone else has heard of this visa and has some advice it would be greatly appreciated though- or any advice relevant.

Cheers!

• Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
Re: Hospitality and food visa- has anyone heard of
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 07:34:45 PM »
It's actually called the Sectors Based Scheme - there's more information about it on the Home Office website - see http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits/sector_based_schemes.html? .  Bear in mind that you must be 30 or under to be eligible, and it only allows you to stay in the UK for 12 months at a time (although you can apply for a new one after two months outside of the UK).

Alternately, since you said you have just been travelling with your boyfriend and you want to be with him, have you thought about getting a working holiday visa for a country where you BOTH can work?  For example, both Americans and Brits can get a year-long working holiday visa for New Zealand.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 07:37:28 PM by saraliz »

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »
How did I never know that existed???  :o

• Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:04:57 PM »
It's a fairly new type of visa  :)  I'm wondering if there's anybody out there who has actually gotten it, and whether it's difficult to get...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab