Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does he need to file any paperwork on his side?  (Read 930 times)

• Liked: 1
Does he need to file any paperwork on his side?
« on: February 18, 2004, 07:48:40 PM »
I know when we get married, I go to NY with my spousal paperwork and check (with a letter from his employer, bank statments, marriage liscence and all the rest of that jazz).....

But before that, does he have to file anything on the UK side saying "Hey, guess what.  This really cool American chick is coming over to be my wife, how about letting her in?"

Just curious.   ???

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
Re: Does he need to file any paperwork on his side
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:40:30 PM »
Nope. It's all on you, kiddo.   ;D

You might want to have him write a letter of support saying he was cool with you coming over and being his wife, but I think that is more for the fiancee visa.  The whole exchanging of vows probably negates that bit.  You'll also need his visa when you apply...but other than that, he's off the hook really!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 09:42:41 PM by wishstar »

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 09:46:25 PM »
Wish, can you clarify?  I need his visa???  He's a UKC....i figured i would need his birth cert. or something.

He will be in the UK waiting for me to come over after the wedding and honeymoon.....after i get the spousal visa filled out and stamped.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 01:58:46 AM »
I think what Wishstar meant was you need a notorized copy of his passport, or his actual passport.  My husband sent a notorized copy of his when we sent in my fiance application. Oh, and an original copy of his birth cert.  I remember that we had to take all those same things with us when we went to Croydon to apply for FLR.

I am a bit confused,, I take it you two are getting married here in the US, and then you are going to apply for your entry clearance  and spousal visa in New York?  If so, it may be good for you to go together with his documents?

EDIT,, don't forget to have him bring proof that you two have a place to live in the UK,, deed to the house, rent statements, utility bills, phone bills,, the more you can bring the better :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 02:05:50 AM by tebs »

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 09:02:38 AM »
Oh yes, it's a huge help if you go together! If anything, you two can celebrate afterwards in New York City!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »
Ooopss...yes, sorry, that should have said his *passport*...duh!   ::)

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 01:46:59 PM »
Just make sure that you include a letter from him stating that he's aware of your petition for the visa and that he supports it, that's a MUST if your'e not doing this together and in person. It's different from any evidence of monetary support submitted and although it's on the visa list of requirements it's listed further up the page and easily missed.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 04:49:37 PM »
More complicated than I thought.

I would have to go to the NYC office by myself as he can't miss any more work (he's starting a new job next month and the wedding/honeymoon will eat all of his time).

I will go alone armed with everything of his, notarized passport (unless i have him send me his), a letter from him and all our lodging information and financials.....

We're getting married on a Saturday in CT, if the pastor signs our marriage certificate that day, can we use that and bring it down to the NYC office, or does the town hall have to stamp it.  We leave for our HM out of Boston that Tuesday (as those were our original plans, to have him move here to Boston) so now it's all complicated.  :(

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »
If I'm not mistaken they're going to want a copy of the marraige certificate thats issued in the recording office of the town you were married in with a raised stamp not the certificate issued by whoever performs the ceremony so make sure whoever does perform the ceremony gets it into them ASAP. It's normally only a matter of a few days from ceremony to recording.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 05:02:20 PM »
That's what i thought.  So i'm definately going to go it alone.

Oh well, i know others have done it alone and been fine......I'll just make sure to have all my supporting paperwork and more.  I'm really good like that, you should see the K-1 paperwork i had all ready to go.  He loves he's marrying someone who's so good with details, because he's terrible.

He even booked us a hotelroom for our trip to Florida last week for MARCH 11th, not Feb 11th.  We only found that out when we got to the hotel and there was no room, or any rooms for us.   >:(

• Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 04:44:42 PM »
if you'd like, check out my website outlining my experience w/ the NYC consulate/spousal visa process....

good luck!

http://www.webspawner.com/users/spousalvisa/index.html

Sponsored Links