Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I get it all done in the US before I go?  (Read 1644 times)

• Liked: 0
Do I get it all done in the US before I go?
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:35:27 AM »
Went for a physical yesterday - was told to get the usual mammogram, etc.
My uh, female doctor can't see me until the day before I leave.  I love her, and would probably feel better having gotten it done, but it's HIGHLY inconvenient.
You think I can wait and find a good doctor once I get to London?  They have them there, right? ;)
And what about the dentist?  Those are really the two I've left til the last moment... of course.
Thoughts?
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: Do I get it all done in the US before I go?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:36:18 AM »
I find the NHS to be so much easier to work with than I did with the HMO I used to belong to back in the States.

Elizabeth, if you qualify for NHS when you move over,, I think it's probably good to start a relationship with your new doctor here.

Here is the link to the NHS direct, it will be a helpful site to have bookmarked. http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ They will assign a 'surgery' to you based on your postal code once you move over. They can treat you on a 'private' basis if you don't qualify yet,  but either way, it's good to go on and get set up with them :)

As far as dentists go,, I go to the dental office that is in 'Boots' (it's a one stop pharmacy, cosmetics, general well being type chain of stores). I also use their optitian(sp?).

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 01:38:38 AM by tebs »

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:36:02 PM »
Mammograms aren't done as frequently here so unless you are a high risk case or above the age they feel is risky (is it 45?) then you may have to go private to have that done.  I'm sure there are good doctors here in London...I can't say as I've actually *met* any of them yet, but nevermind!   :-/

Apparently it is next to impossible to find dentists through the NHS now...most all are private ones.  So as long as you're happy to pay for it all, you should be fine.

To be honest, if I were you, I'd have anything you can have done in the US first.  I know there are plenty of people who will argue with me but I find the care and service here much less satisfactory than back home.

Just my 2p tho!  :)  

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 10:30:32 PM »
Perhaps it's just because I live in East London and there seems to be a shortage of available GP's here, but my 'GP' only has doctors 'in locum' - different ones show up every day, you don't get the same person twice and they could really care less. The first Dr. took one look at the rash on my arms (which apparently has something to do with the hard water I have now found out) and told me that if I thought I was going to get a prescription from him I could go back to the US.  He then told me he thought I was stealing from the NHS by using the system (obviously hasn't seen my tax bill!) and that all Americans were addicted to drugs and that if I didn't like the way things were here I should leave the country.

He then mentioned that he was from Pakistan and had a few choice things to say about US politics.  I left in tears.  

My advice - do it back home.  While this may have been a bad extreme, whether or not you can get anything done here depends on either lucking out and getting a decent Dr. (except you only have your post code to choose from) or having enough money to pay for a private Dr. (BUPA has walk in GP centres)

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 11:33:24 PM »
Humm,, I think I would report his unprofessionalism to someone.  >:(

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 04:09:53 AM »
Yikes LizG, so sorry to hear!  I would've clocked him one... okay, maybe not, of course then he'd think I was on drugs - I have a few things to say about American Politics as well (don't we all?!)!
Guess I'll keep it in mind when looking for a flat too... you have to go within your postcode?
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »
It's *all* about the postcode, baby.  The NHS is incredibly overburdened and underfunded.  Unfortunately, the situation is worst here in London.  

The offices themselves aren't great (bit tatty and run-down for the most part) and the doctors are completely uninterested.  At least, that's been my experience.  

I did have good care at Moorfields Eye Hospital when I had some treatment there in 2002, and I've yet to meet a nurse who wasn't sweet as pie.  But the doctors themselves...the GPs...ugh!  I'd rather be sick most of the time than go to them.

But don't get me started.   ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 10:58:24 AM »
That man should be reported Liz.  There is absolutely NO excuse for him to treat you or anyone else like that.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 11:59:36 PM »
Hey all, just as an FYI, I did report him to the NHS, but I doubt it did any good.  

BTW, he mentioned that he knew all this (that Americans all want prescriptions,etc) was because he had studied in the US.  I asked him where, thinking Robert Wood Johnson, the Mayo Clinic, etc.  

It was Royal Caribbean - should have known  :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab