Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello  (Read 2703 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello
« on: October 21, 2002, 02:08:10 AM »
I'm in Philadelphia and I've been contracting with a UK company over here (US). I'm traveling to London late November to interview with HR for a job with home office. I am planning my move fall 2003 when my house is sold and 2 contract jobs are finished. Single, kids grown looking forward to the adventure.

Any advise is well come, especially how to get over language barrier with HR. Also - is it hard to make friends?
In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten...In one refusal to try, a thousand successes may prematurely die.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 10:51:45 AM »
What a fabulous adventure for you!

Before I moved across I thought there would be only two things i would struggle with: the language and remembering to drive on the left.

After five years here, I can honestly say those two were the easiest. I barely even hear accents any more.

There are little things that make you feel you are slightly going mad. Things seem to be opposite. Or just different in a way to slightly throw you off balance. Things like toilet handles on the other side, or salt and pepper shakers with opposite numbers of holes, light switches that toggle the other way to turn on/off. Do be carefull crossing the road because you won't instinctively look in the correct direction at first!

You'll learn quickly which words to use or not to use. I'm at a stage that I'm now forgetting which word is US and which is UK. However, the folks here have been so Americanized with TV shows, they will know what an elevator is, and a hood of a trunk and pants, sweaters, etc.

Spelling may also trip you up at the beginning. I am using British software, so spell checking is British. The pointer highlighted airplane as being spelled wrong. So I thought, what the..? I looked it up in the British dictionary I have and it wasn't there! So I asked my husband; I felt I was truly going insane. He spellt "a-e-r-o-p-l-a-n-e". I would NEVER have imagined. Same thing with tire/tyre, aluminum/aluminium etc. etc.

What I find hard to understand are not the words, but the meaning behind the words. Things are said that seem very offensive to me, but turn out to be how they are said and understood in this country. For instance, understatements or sarcasms can be misinterpreted. However, if this happens, just ask! (They'll love to hear your accent just as much as you love hearing theirs.)

Hard to make friends? Hmmmmm. Yes and no. I tend to keep to myself. No one is going to come and knock at my door and ask if I want to go out and play. I know, however, that in times of me making efforts, people here are warm and genuine and would do anything to help. Marvelous people. You just have to scratch the surface. I may not be speaking for larger city areas, however. But where I am, the proportion of non-Brit people is extremely low. I'm forever being told by perfect strangers about their holidays, past and future, because they ask where I'm from (I guess it's my accent  ;) ). Those instant conversation starters don't happen with the average Brit over here.

Have fun...you're already starting on the right road by tracking this sort of information down before you come.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 05:12:28 PM »
welcome mary...wow that is an adventure.  glad to hear ur gearing up for it.  im sure youll find lots of helpful info here.  for me the accents havent been the problem its the dialects, lol.  its amazing how u can turn a corner and hear a total different english language, lol.  but like lisa said ... before long ull bearly even notice it.  GOOD LUCK!!  get us posted.
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• Maine to London
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 03:11:11 PM »
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your upcoming adventure!  I can't compete with all of the information that LisaE provided so I won't even try.  I will say this though, finding this site is going to be a big help to you and in answer to your question about making friends, well, you have all of us!

Take good care,
expat  ;)
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 03:50:48 PM »
Hello Mary,

At the moment I am still your neighbor in Maryland...  but I was born and lived in the Philly area for my first 13 years...  

I would like to welcome you to the forum and wish you luck on your new future in England...  hopefully my move over there will be in a few months and I will be way up north compared to London.

Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 06:32:52 PM »
Wow Mary what a great adventure. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you on your move...I'm still stuck here in the US. :-/ But just wanted to say welcome to the forum. :)

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 03:46:23 PM »
Just an update and thanks for all of the advise I received. I've arrived back in Philly and it's SNOWING. It was 30 degrees warmer in London. Christmas decorations were lovely and window boxes with pink cyclemans were beautiful!

I passed my interview!!! Human Resources Director said she is looking forward to working with me. So now I can plan my move in August or September. We haven't negotiated salary yet but I basically told them I wasn't coming to UK to starve to death! How's that for American moxey?!?! Only downside is boyfriend decided to call it quits but wants to remain good friends. Whatever that means in Brit - I guess I'll find out. Funny thing is he doesn't know about the job success - it's with his company - upper management! Life is indeed an adventure!!!!!

In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten...In one refusal to try, a thousand successes may prematurely die.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2002, 05:10:40 PM »
gratz on the job!  Ex is upper management?  :O  woah.  Ah well, it'll all work out for the best.  :D  If not, we're all here to help ya out etc etc.
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 06:22:41 PM »
Just a slight correction - I'm to be upper management - he's middle!!! He wanted me to get on with my life so I am. When I first spoke with him about applying with his company he told me they were making people redundant not hiring. So I didn't say too much more to him about it because I didn't want to lose my nerve with negativity. I just felt that because of my assessment of their organization that they needed someone with my range of skills. I am a business analyst by profession, something my ex did not realize. (In 2 years we discussed jobs but did not exchange CV's)

I am a mature professional woman and I think this will be much harder on him than on me. He has been dying to get ahead with the company and I hope jealousy won't be a problem. I never expected the offer I got! Life takes some funny turns!!

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2002, 06:35:12 AM »
Congratulations on the job, Mary, and welcome to the site.  I'm moving to the UK in two weeks both to join my English fiance, and I'm fortunate also to be able to transfer with my company.  

You mention that you have two grown kids.  Do you mind if I ask how they're dealing with your move?  I also have two grown kids, my daughter is 21 and in her jr. year of university, my son is close to 19 is in the Navy.  Son is fine with my move and thinks it's cool.  My daughter is trying hard to be mature but is really having a tough time with it.  :(

Best of luck to you in the job...sounds like this move is all around a really good thing for you.  Regarding the ex boyfriend, will you have to deal with him much or is it a big company?  Sounds like you have it under control no matter what the situation is though! ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 07:01:43 AM »
Sorry to have taken so much time to answer your question but it is important so wanted to give it some thought. My children are much older now, 35 and 36, with families and obligations of their own so my situation this time is much different than yours. But several years ago my then husband and I moved from Philadelphia to Orlando. The kids were in college or had jobs so they did not come with us. It was a 16 hour drive away.

Things went OK - not perfect. We had an 800 number so that they could phone whenever they wanted or needed to. The costs were about $125 per month - if that gives you any idea of how often they called. I found, after, there were things that they would not tell us. Things they felt because of distance that they should handle themselves. They were trying to be mature and deal with their problems themselves. This I found out after the fact. I went through a bit of guilt at that point.

We returned to the area after 3 years because of layoffs in Orlando. When we returned the kids were very defensive of their independence. They were afraid "Mummy" was coming back into their lives to tell them what to do. Conversely, I was afraid they were going to dump on me and I really wanted an adult to adult relationship with them. Suffice to say it was a prickley time. I'm sure our children had pictured moving away from us not us moving away from them so the feelings are a bit confused. You will probably find your daughter will be somewhat defensive, after all, you are leaving her but with some love and understanding on your part it will actually be a growing experience for you both. She may find that she enjoys visiting you.

I just remembered something I experienced with my daughter was a jealousy she had in sharing me with my new husband - I had been single 7 years and we were close. Friends of mine in similar situations had the same thing happen with their daughters. So mull over that possibility.

You don't say what part of the US she lives in but I have the international calling plan with Qwest and it only costs me $.07 per minute to call the UK. That might be a good idea. My mother lives 7 miles away but I really only see her every 6 weeks or so but we are on the phone every day. When I was a teenager I couldn't imagine talking to my mother every day. What in the world would we talk about?!?!? Now my 36 year old daughter and I are on once a day at least. I'm sure it will be expensive when I move over but we're working on internet phone & AIM.

I hope I have been of some help. Keep in touch, I'm jealous - I won't be going over until August or September  (thank God they are going to wait for me). But I have to ready a house for sale and a million other things before I can move over for good. I fully expect that my granddaughter will be joining me after a year when she is finished high school. That will certainly be another interesting development in the mother/daughter saga.
;D

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 08:57:49 PM »
Thanks Mary, your reply has been very helpful.  

The point you make about the kids expecting that they'd be the ones to move away, not their mom, is spot on!  My daughter has made that statement several times and I can understand how odd that must be to her. She already gets a bit defensive at times about it but seems to be adjusting.  She is excited about the prospect of coming to visit traveling to Europe with us so that seems to help the situation some.  I do dread the goodbye coming up next week, although I will be back in mid-January to sell my car and finish with the sorting out of my work permit.  We are going to try to come back every 4 months or so for a visit (plus I'll have to travel back to the US for work on occasion as well).  That seems to help to alleviate some of her fears that we'll never see each other.

How great that your granddaughter may come to live by you.  What a terrific experience that will be for her!  I do believe I'll have some major pangs when the grandkids start arriving and I'm not there to spoil them!

How are things progressing with your work move, Mary?  Although I'm sure it does seem like a long time until you get over, with the need to sell your house and do all the other bits necessary to make a move like this, you'll be glad you have the time!  
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2002, 07:10:38 AM »
Runner, you should be there soon! Can't wait to hear how the furniture saga works out. I just loved the way everyone came forth with the "take out the window" solution. Duh! In the US you'd be looking for a carpenter for 6 months then hoping he'd arrive sometime in the next 6 months! Sounds like a wonderful country - the UK that is.

Just wanted to share - my 36 year old daughter has spent a major part of every weekend with me since I got back from London. I has been great for me but I think she is planning to miss me! She thinks this is a great opportunity for me, is supportive and hopes to visit. She is planted in her condo and her job (which she has had for 16 years) until her daughter graduates from high school 2004. It would be so great  if they followed me. My son is planted her. He bought my Grandmother's Victorian 6 bedroom house. It has now been in the family since 1912 so I don't think he will be going anywhere. I will miss his 2 boys ages 1 and 4.

Really, just wanted to say good luck! Keep me posted.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 10:07:26 AM »
Mary, I've been thinking about you and how you did on your interview. (Things have been manic, so I haven't been able to cruise the forum as much as I wanted the past couple of weeks.) I have to share my first reactions.

Jaw hits floor.
O H  M Y  G A W D
Hysterical laughter.

Sorry, but I love fitting "just rewards". Your bf, then wanting to be just friends, you getting a job, where it is, and the position it is, etc. etc.

Oh, sorry. Where are my manners? Congratulations, Mary ! !

You will have to join us at a few gatherings. We can toast to us women who once knew men who had no idea how good they had it until they kicked it in the teeth.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2002, 04:12:25 AM »
;) Hi Mary, welcome to the site.  I'm from Phila., (Havertown) and have been over here with my husband and three boys for two years now.  Once you get into the swing of it, it is a good place to be...I laughed when I saw that you talk to your daughter everyday...I call my mom 3 to 4 times a week..BT has a new 5p per min. rate to the US., so it doesn't seem sooo bad.  Good luck with your move!  Maureen/jammie
Maureen/jammie

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab