Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee visa question  (Read 903 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 2
Fiancee visa question
« on: February 24, 2004, 07:28:47 PM »
Part of the information on the consulate site says they need a wedding date and if married in a registry office a provisional booking will do.  Well I contacted my registry office today and just recieved a letter telling me they can't book a wedding unless she is residing in the country.  but she needs it to get a visa so what did everyone else do?

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
Re: Fiancee visa question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 07:39:55 PM »
She has to be here in the country for two weeks before she can register to marry,, that is true.

All you have to do is put down a tentitive date on the application. That's what we did. They understand that you can't register yet, but they want to know that you are actually planning a wedding.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »
Yep, we put down a tentative date as well.  No problem at all!

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 08:41:42 PM »
A tentative date is fine, or you can make a provisional booking at a registry office.  My beau just make a provisional booking and I am still on the other side of the pond.  

You just need to state that you have the intention of marrying within the 6 months.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 09:03:48 PM »
Here’s what I did: Brought up the local website for Somerset Council and printed the page that outlined the requirements for marrying in the country. It clearly stated that I would have to be in the country for x amount of time before we could even request a wedding date and get married – and a few other important tid bits of information. That was fine for the LA consulate.

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 10:27:26 PM »
okey dokey thanks everyone I will print out the email that i got from the registry office then at least they can see we tried too.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 11:35:04 AM »
Here’s what I did: Brought up the local website for Somerset Council and printed the page that outlined the requirements for marrying in the country. It clearly stated that I would have to be in the country for x amount of time before we could even request a wedding date and get married – and a few other important tid bits of information. That was fine for the LA consulate.

I did the same thing - I also had a print-out of approved places for civil marriage and lots of hand-printed notes all over the pages to show I'd done my homework on it.  We did have a provisional date, but then ended up getting an extension on the visa because we picked a day 2 weeks after its expiry!  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 11:40:48 AM »
Yep just to confirm what everyone else says you just give an intended date for the ceremony for the visa, you can't register with the town hall til you're both in the country for the requisite time. Some registry offices let you make a provisional booking though, I am sure I made us a provisional booking before we'd had our appointment to register.

Sponsored Links