Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do u have to have a college degree??  (Read 1366 times)

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
  • Liked: 0
Do u have to have a college degree??
« on: February 25, 2004, 07:56:22 AM »
*waves hi *
HELLO everyone!
I am new to this site but THANK GOD i found it. It's a long story. ( a love story boys and girls )
 ANYWAY. Here is my situation. My boyfriend lives in  London and I am here in the USA.   AND anyway. My friend went out to visit last year there and said  I would love it very much ( duh i know myself i sure would) I am going to visit London in April and I am very excited about that.
  I was thinking that if i liked it I could move there for a while. BUT i know thats not something you JUST DO. SO i wanted to make sure i could get some information.
  Here is my situation.
I am a 28 year old female.  I have had some college courses but I did not get my degree ( another long story .. ) . I am very smart though. I am a great receptionist and have never been fired from any job. However, I have only worked through temporary agencies who just fill me in at diffrent places to cover people.  I am good at what i do. I am the best at answering phones but  I dont mind doing any entry level stuff.

MY main question is. If i wanted to have a job  out there, would I have to have a college degree to apply for work there? and What things would I have to do? I am very overwhelmed when it comes to things  I am not familair with or if there is TONS of information that I could get lost all in.

Please, if you can help aleveate (sp sorry) SOME kind of stress I would appreceiate it. A LOT.  It's the only thing stopping me from wanting to go out there right now.
     Like what kind of papers would i apply for? who do I talk to? what do you recomend someone like me putting down on the forms?  
 thanks a ton. My boyfriend says not to worry, but I like to inestigate things myself.

THANKS
 ladymoonwalker27
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

Re: Do u have to have a college degree??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:00:56 AM »
No... you dont have to have a 'college degree' to work in the UK, but you do have to have a work permit, or some other form of entry clearance which allows you to work.  

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:24:10 PM »
First of all, welcome to UKY!  I'm sure you'll find all sorts of great info here.  You should pop by the Welcome Wagon and say hello so people can get to know you.  :)

I'm afraid you won't be able to work here just as a visitor.  You'd have to have some sort of work permit (which is hard to get unless your company is transferring you) or a settlement visa (which is for marriage, etc.)  

But once you get one of those, you definitely don't need a college degree to work here....especially in entry level positions, and definitely not if you're planning to continue as a temp.  Here in London, temp work is easy to come by...degree or no!  :)

How long are you planning on staying in London?  

Hope that helps your stress level a bit anyway!  :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
Ditto what Broxi & Wishstar said... you have to have the right kind of visa to work here. And you can't work on a fiancee visa either, sadly. :( I don't have a degree and found it easy peasy to get a temp agency to sign me on, though I'm not in London. Good luck with your plans!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 02:21:26 PM »
My only degree is an A.S. in Court Reporting.  I'm not working here as a court reporter, though, so it doesn't mean much!

Had no problem finding work without a degree.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 04:17:42 AM »
aweeeeeee thank you all for that info. It helps a little bit.
 I want to stay as long as I can. I would have a place to live. I just would want to  work there so I could support myself. I don't want ot get married just because that would be the only way to live there you know.

:)  *stopping by welcome wagon right now to post
THIS SITE IS SO GREAT
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 03:18:21 PM »
Ditto what everyone else said...and a suggestion. ;)

Have you considered going to school over here?  It would aid in any future career you have on this side of the pond, and would allow you to try living in England (and being with your love) without having to skip straight to the marriage.  ;D

Good luck,
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

Sponsored Links