Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Today's the First...Citizenship Ceremony, that is  (Read 1283 times)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Today's the First...Citizenship Ceremony, that is
« on: February 26, 2004, 11:18:06 AM »
So according to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3516861.stm) the very first citizenship ceremony will be held in North West London today.  But it seems that the nation is somewhat divided on whether or not these ceremonies are a good idea.

I know we mentioned this some time ago, but I wonder how people feel about this now that it is a reality.  For those of you who do plan on becoming a UK Citizen when you're able to, do you think these are good ideas?  Will they help you feel more welcome to the UK?  Or is it just a 'naff idea' as stated by someone in the article above.

I found it interesting that British people interviewed thought the idea was silly, while most of the immigrants were looking forward to it.  What do the British members of UKY think of all this?  Will you be looking forward to attending a ceremony with your spouse when the time comes?

I'll be applying for my citizenship next month, since it will be my three year mark.  And I have to say I'm quite looking forward to having a big ceremony and celebration!  Moving here has been hard, very hard.  It'll be a real achievement to get my new passport and certificate.  I'm planning on applying to have my ceremony up in Inverness so my inlaws and family can attend with me.  It will no doubt be a very proud moment for me, and will be a real milestone in my adjustment and settlement here.

And I for one am glad to support *anything* that will inspire people to take a bit more pride in their new country.

What do you all think?  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Today's the First...Citizenship Ceremony, that
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 11:48:26 AM »
I can't wait.  I'm sorry I threw away our local paper describing the Medway area's first Citizenship Ceremony in a few months.   :-/  Like you say, Wishstar, it takes time and energy (and money!) and it's nice to have some sort of recognition for our desire to become citizens of the country we live in.

Besides, people becoming US citizens have had ceremonies for ages - only fair we get the same!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:57:54 AM »

Besides, people becoming US citizens have had ceremonies for ages - only fair we get the same!

Absolutely!  I was slightly offended by the comment that  ceremonies like these are what have contributed to America's 'patchwork' communities.  Like the UK isn't a divided nation of villages and towns!  Ha!   >:(

(Not that I'm bitter or feeling sensitive today or anything!)   ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 01:15:34 PM »

I was slightly offended by the comment that  ceremonies like these are what have contributed to America's 'patchwork' communities.  

Yeah, I read that bit before I e-mailed you the link, and I thought to myself, man, Spouse ain't gonna like that.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 01:20:36 PM »
I'm a bit torn about the whole ceremony thing. (Maybe because I really don't like to be at the centre of attention.  :-/ )

But I was wondering about how this would effect the whole dual nationality thing.  I had read (albeit, years ago) that the US position on dual nationality was that they didn't really like it or recognise it but they stated as long as you didn't take an oath to swear your allegiance to another country, you'd be okay...if you did, then that was "invalidating" your US citizenship.  Isn't this new oath thing doing just that? Pardon the ignorance on the subject as I just haven't done enough research on the matter yet as it would always confuse me (probably their intention!  ;) ).

And as a side note, and not to bring up the whole religion topic again, I'm not so keen that you take your oath upon the Bible or a holy book of your choice. What if I don't really have a 'holy book'?

Other than these points, I'm all for a bit of a celebratory event for it!  ;D

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 02:04:20 PM »

Yeah, I read that bit before I e-mailed you the link, and I thought to myself, man, Spouse ain't gonna like that.

Holy heck!  My hubby has posted on UKY!  There really is a first time for everything.  Hi, honey!!  See, that wasn't so hard!  :)

But on the topic at hand....  

It's a good point that I hadn't thought of, lynne....I thought that the rules had changed about the oath thing in the 90's with a Supreme Court case, but I don't know if that specific bit changed too.  Perhaps it needs some more looking into.  I definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice one passport for the other.  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »
Mister Nibbles comes out of lurkerdom!  Yippee!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 04:58:41 PM »
Taking an oath of allegience to another country does not repudiate your US citizenship, even if part of the oath states that it does.

To renounce your citizenship, you must go to the US embassy and swear to that in front of US reps.

I usd to have a great link about this...I know I posted it somewhere in the Citizenship board.  It was a huge long Q&A...but I remember that answer very well.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »
Mister Nibbles comes out of lurkerdom!

But only so I can use this smiley:  [smiley=stunned.gif]  

It's like looking into a mirror!

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 05:27:14 PM »
Taking an oath of allegience to another country does not repudiate your US citizenship, even if part of the oath states that it does.

To renounce your citizenship, you must go to the US embassy and swear to that in front of US reps.

I usd to have a great link about this...I know I posted it somewhere in the Citizenship board.  It was a huge long Q&A...but I remember that answer very well.

Found your post again! The link was http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html and after seeing it again, I remembered that I read it already from your original post!  ;D

Phew! That is a relief then.  :D Thanks for the reminder!  ;D ;D

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 05:35:56 PM »
I would have definitely liked the ceremony. Getting the piece of paper in the post...was almost anticlimatic. "Is this it?"

I think ceremonies help to instill a sense of patriotism. The Brits may think we're over-the-top but I don't see very much sense of pride as a country...unless it involves footie.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 07:52:36 PM »
While I don't think there is anything wrong with having a ceremony, if it was an option to skip it, I probably would.  

Mind you this is coming from the same girl that spent 6 long hard years getting a 4 year bachelors degree and skipped the awards ceremony.  I am not shy and not afraid of standing up in front of people.  

I just don't think that a ceremony makes things more valid.  To me it is just a short event that will be over in (probably) a matter of minutes, but it is living, working and voting  :D as a British citizen that will mean something to me.  
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 01:52:35 AM »
When I was naturalized in the US, I was surprised at how moving the ceremony was to me. They talked about the contribution that each of us had made to our new country... things like serving on PTA, being scout leaders, volunteers, etc. Simple things maybe, but things that keep a community [and a country] a community working together. They pointed out that people that have to work for Citizenship often take it much more seriously as a privilege.

Anyway, it really made me proud of the things I've done while living here, and as a citizen. I was glad my children were there to share it with me, much more meaningful than the piece of paper that came with it.

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 11:15:09 AM »
I was clearly on something yesterday when I posted this here....would someone with The Power please move this thread to Visas and Citizenship?  

Sorry for being a ditz!   [smiley=dizzy2.gif]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 11:15:30 AM by wishstar »

Sponsored Links