Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job interview tomorrow  (Read 1116 times)

• Life is an Adventure
  • Liked: 0
Job interview tomorrow
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:42:41 PM »
Well I had a job interview last week and received a reply in the mail that they choose someone else yesterday. Also got a call for another job interview tomorrow. Just a part time job as a sales clerk in a drugstore. Don't even know if I want it. Seems a waste to put in 25 hours a week for such low pay. The jobs I have done in the past require a car or working on Saturday and neither one of those works for me at the moment. Husband says it would do me good to work and I could always get something better later. It's so cold out these days I really don't care if I get out much or not. Guess I am in a funk and maybe going to work would help. Even if it is at something that is gonna pay so low.  Hard to come from California where I had a pretty good paying job and see the pay scale here. Oh well another adjustment.
:(
Be true to yourself.

Re: Job interview tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 04:22:34 PM »
Kitty,  I know just how you're feeling. After living here 6 months I've finally don't have any more reasons for not looking for work. I just went out today to apply for some I saw advertised in town. Just sales stuff, nothing thats too big of a deal, definately not what I used to do in the states. Every place I went wanted a cv( which I haven't made yet ) for a stupid sales job?!!  Now I'm sitting here having to put together a cv and I have no idea how to write one in a british way. Mostly I don't know what to put on the cover letter. If you have any clues please let me know. I think I'm in a little funk too :-/ ,I feel like I need somthing/anything to do. Good Luck :)
Always saddle your own horse

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 10:07:28 PM »
The only thing that was different from my resume back home and my cv here was that I included the fact that I'm American here on an ILR. It was all the same info otherwise.

If you're really concerned about having a fantastic cv and cover letter I'd recommend going to a professional service. They're not very expensive and they do a good job. I also recommend signing up with an agency. You don't pay anything, they get paid by your new employer and they write up the cv for you.

Good luck!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
The only thing that was different from my resume back home and my cv here was that I included the fact that I'm American here on an ILR. It was all the same info otherwise.

Hmmm...I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be great to list your nationality in your CV due to the potential for discriminatory practices.  What do other people think of this?  Do other folks list their nationality on their cv?

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 09:22:24 AM »
Everyone here lists their nationality on their CV from what I've seen.  There are so many different people here for different reasons....you need to let people know where you're from and why you're here and able to work.  

As far as discrimination goes, I've found being an American *helps* get work/interviews/etc.  It's a stereotype, I know, but we do have a reputation for a very high work ethic!  :)

I agree with Ashley....an agency is the way to go.  They're very helpful and just know stuff!  :)

The only real change to my cv and cover letter that I made when looking for work here was including a letter of recommendation from my former employer, and a sample of my previous work.  This way, they didn't have to phone the US up for refernces, and the work I did there was evidenced and very clear.  

Best of luck!!  

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 09:51:27 AM »
I never put my nationality on my CV.
However, if they look at the education bit, and possibly the previous employment history, they could probably guess.

• Life is an Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 05:49:40 PM »
Well had my interview today. Was really strange because most of it was telling me of what the job consisted of and not what my qualifications are or if I would be a good match for the job. I have a cold and wasn't sure about the job anyway so I didn't volunter any information that was not ask. It was a minimum wage job anyway.  Wishstar I include a letter of recommendation with my CV as well. I have a great recommendation from my previous employer. I know the right job will come along for me eventually. In the mean time if I am not working by middle of March I am going with my husband when he goes to Amsterdam and gonna go to Wales while he is in Turkey. I will keep looking for the right job and if I am lucky I can wait until it gets warmer to start work. lol
Be true to yourself.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 05:55:56 PM »
I will keep looking for the right job and if I am lucky I can wait until it gets warmer to start work. lol

Man, I could have done without walking to work in heels in the snow!

I've found that most first interviews do consist of them telling you about the job. If they like you, you'll be invited back for a second interview where you talk more about yourself.

Be sure to keep us updated!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 04:14:19 PM »
Ditto what Ashley said....don't think it didn't go well because they didn't ask you much.  The second (or even third!) interview will focus on your skills, etc.  

It's great you have a backup plan tho....all that traveling seems much better than working to me anyway!  

Don't give up on this job, if you want it tho!  It takes forever for people to make decisions about employment here...sometimes up to a month, even....so fingers crossed, you'll hear from them soon.  :)  Let us know how it turns out, ok?  Good luck!!

• Hi there.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 05:47:36 PM »
Looking for a job in the Uk, as anywhere, can be a trauma. Interviews can be nerve racking events, no matter your nationality. As long as you are street legal you shouldn't de discriminated against. Remember, there are a whole lot of people in the uk from all around the world doing jobs of many kinds.
I've always found that it's a lot easier to get a job if you are already employed. One thing potential employers look for is a person who is not work shy.
I spent much of my working life in London as a freelance film/video technician. When there were gaps in my diary I would take anything I could find.  Better to earn a small wage and keep the mind active than stare at day time tv.

good luck to all job seekers

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab