Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I need to hear good things about the UK  (Read 159352 times)

• Liked: 1
I need to hear good things about the UK
« on: February 27, 2004, 04:30:17 PM »
Okay for my own sanity as a person moving there and needing to hear some good stuff before I hide in my closet and never leave this house or this country . . . .

What are the good things about the UK that you can't live without or would miss terribly.  Or what are some kindnesses people have shown you when you needed help, or what was the one point at where your attitude went from "oh my God what did I do" to one of "I actually like this" or "it's not so bad here".
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 04:41:19 PM »
I love that I'm somewhat unique here. Everyone wants to chat with me and ask about me (and I oh so love the attention).

I feel like I'm more worldly here. I meet people from all over the world and I don't feel like I'm being held by 'American ignorance'.

I really do love England, which suprises everyone I tell. It truly is a fantastic country and it makes my life a big ole adventure.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 04:47:37 PM »
There is a much less 'materialistic' attitude of the British that I really admire. There isn't a 'gotta keep up with the Joneses' kind of mind set, that is refreshing.

This has to be the most beautiful part of the world that I have ever seen. Miles of amazing scenery, especially where you will be moving to. There is a romantic feel for this country that is almost overwhelming.

Whenever we drive thru the country, or thru a particularly beautiful villiage, I am struck with a sense of wonder that I live in this magical place.  It's like that movie 'Brigadoon' in a way. Time seems to have stood still in this part of England.

You will love it here. Don't worry.  Moving is always hard, even from one part of the States to another.

One other thing,, living in the UK, makes travel thru Europe very affordable :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 04:49:05 PM by tebs »

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 04:51:14 PM »
One aspect I enjoy about the UK is the totally relaxed attitude towards work. You don't get the 3rd degree about why you want to take your vacation, get the guilt trip about calling out sick, having to beg to leave 15 minutes early to get to a dr appt. When people leave a job, your co-workers are actually really happy for you and it's a big celebration. You don't get any of that in the US. Or at least I never witnessed it.  :P

I also find some shop assistants over-the-top nice to the point where it makes me uncomfortable. There's been times where I'd ask the person behind the counter their opinion on a product (because I'm trying things blindly to compensate for items I used to be able to find in the US) and they'd be really helpful with descriptions and other options. The line would grow behind me and they keep on helping me, offering to go back down the aisles to find other options I could try.  :o I, of course, begin to panic because I'm sure the other people behind are rolling their eyes and not in a good way [smiley=mean.gif] so I wind up just thanking them nicely while shoving my money at them so I can leave (secretly wishing I stayed to listen to their suggestions).

I also like that people don't seem to be as judgemental towards others appearances. Being slightly overweight isn't really an issue here. Having non-traditional hair colours isn't given a second glance. Accents seem to be more accepted. Etc.

All these could just be regional but they've been some positive things I've experienced that make me glad I've emigrated.

There's probably more too but that's just off the top of my head.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 04:57:35 PM »
Ooh yeah, Lynne hit on the mark. It's a very tolerant society. I feel a bigger sense of freedom.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 05:35:08 PM »
I'll desperately miss:

English TV.
Little old men in tweed coats riding their bikes along the street.
Narrow boats on the canal.
London.
Lush cosmetics shop.
Watching little kids in cute English school uniforms file along the sidewalk to school.
The cathedrals.
The museums.
Market Day.
The slower pace of life.
Being so unique in my neighborhood.
Proper english breakfasts.
Political flexibility.
The Guardian!!!
Being surrounded by gorgeous, varied accents.
Sunday roasts.
Pubs.
Strong, local beers.
Women in hats at weddings.
Non old-lady Bingo.
The countryside.
Sunsets over the Fens.
Little pheasants running all around the fields.
Ancient houses all over the place.
Preserved historical buildings.
Pub quizzes.
Christmas carol services in a church older than my country.
Gargoyles.
Flowers blooming in winter.
Charity shops.
English Maternity care.
Documentaries galor on TV.
BBC Radio 4.
Good public transportation.
Closeness to Europe.
The cool antique shops.
Having a different perspective on US goings-on.
Greener greens than I've ever seen before.
Green in the winter, too.
Ghost walks & stories in local pubs, houses, etc.
The friendly relationship between mainstream medicine and non-traditional medicine.
The dressier type of clothing available.

There's millions more, but that's just off the top of my head...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 05:38:44 PM »
Now that's a list..sounds as though you take it all in and enjoy it..good for you!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 05:42:24 PM »
What a great question!!  I agree with all of the above.  I would say that i haven't found people quite as friendly in London as elsewhere, but nice none the less.

Gong along with the tolerant theme, I love the muli-culturalism of the UK.  It doesn't get it completely right all the time, but it does try.  I love that I get to have friends form Africa, the Carribean, mainland Europe, India, China, thailand, and Austrailia and friends who are Muslim, Sikh, Buddist, etc.  I feel that was sorely missing from rural Iowa and I am so grateful for all that I have learned from these people (Ok but maybe not so grateful for the weight I put on from eating all of the curries and Thai dishes)

I also love stupid little things, like the "look right" "look left" writings at cross walks and the Ecologist magazine and the Nartural History Museum (just the architecture though) and chips and Eastenders.

I could go on...
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 06:33:45 PM »
The dressier type of clothing available.

Oooooh, would you please elaborate on that one Marlespo? :D

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 06:59:24 PM »
I also like that people don't seem to be as judgemental towards others appearances. Being slightly overweight isn't really an issue here. Having non-traditional hair colours isn't given a second glance.

Yet again, one of the things I love about living here. A size 16 woman is lusted after just the same as a size 8.  Bravo to the British men for making all women feel attractive :)

Also because there is a more relaxed attitude about work,, the quality of life here is much better than I ever had in the States. It is nice that hubby can take off more than just two weeks out of the year to travel. He doesn't realize how good he has it.

I have to add, that the NHS is something I would miss. As an insulin dependent diabetic, I have had wonderful expirences with the NHS here in Bournemouth, and my nurse is a absolute doll. She has become a friend, as well as my health consultant.

What a great thread,, read things in that list that I hadn't realized I would miss, would definately miss. :)

• fiddle dee dee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »
There is a much less 'materialistic' attitude of the British that I really admire. There isn't a 'gotta keep up with the Joneses' kind of mind set, that is refreshing.

This has to be the most beautiful part of the world that I have ever seen. Miles of amazing scenery, especially where you will be moving to. There is a romantic feel for this country that is almost overwhelming.

Whenever we drive thru the country, or thru a particularly beautiful villiage, I am struck with a sense of wonder that I live in this magical place.  It's like that movie 'Brigadoon' in a way. Time seems to have stood still in this part of England.

You will love it here. Don't worry.  Moving is always hard, even from one part of the States to another.

One other thing,, living in the UK, makes travel thru Europe very affordable :)

I couldn't have said that better. I have found that for every little thing that makes me want to run, something or someone comes along & makes it all better. But I have to admit that when you are kind of alone here, all the bad seems magnified till you have someone to talk to and get a different perspective.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 07:04:07 PM »

Oooooh, would you please elaborate on that one Marlespo? :D

My elaboration: UK is much less of a Jeans & College T-Shirt kind of society.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 07:42:26 PM »
Everything marlespo said plus, bluer skies, fresh air (can you tell I come from California – smog central) all of the mom’s pushing their babies in prams down high street and the general small town feel.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 07:59:48 PM »

I also like that people don't seem to be as judgemental towards others appearances. Being slightly overweight isn't really an issue here.

:o ??? :o

This is entirely OT, but I have not found this to be the case *at all*.  In fact, I'd say it was the exact opposite, but maybe that's a London thing.  

But back on the topic, the thing I like most about the UK has mostly already been said!  However, I'll add the cool weather.  I love that it doesn't get too hot here...and if it does heat up it's only for a couple of days.  Love that!

I love that there are no poisonous spiders or snakes in the whole country!  That's a very good thing.  (Even tho I still don't want them in my house, thank you very much!)

I know it's already been said, but a real plus for me here is the fact that people are a lot less materialistic.  People still like nice things, but there's just a whole different attitude about life here in that respect.

I love it when I take my dry cleaning in, the kid there who is probably 19, winks at me and calls me 'love'.  That always makes me feel like such a lady.  :)

I love being able to shop for bread at a bakery and meat at a butcher, and being able to get my veggies from a stand on the street.  

And I love the roses.  Everywhere you go in London in the summer is brimming with roses.  

That's just a few tho!  :)

As to the point at which I could say, "yeah, this is gonna be okay...!"  There were moments of it from the very start, but it didn't really happen for me until about 2 years into my life here.  (In fact, it was 18 May 2003, to be exact:  http://www15.brinkster.com/wishstar/may03/18.html)

Probably sounds like a long time, but it did go pretty fast for the most part!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 08:03:34 PM by wishstar »

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 08:37:42 PM »
I also love working here for all the reasons mentioned, but also for the holidays.  I am in a job, which though I have been there for 1 1/2 years, I am still temporary.  That said I get 23 days of holiday a year, plus lieu time!  I'm not even management.

I also love the fact that I live in a place which is simular to where I come from back in the states (i.e. flat, green and rural), but within 45 minutes I can be in the peak district enjoying hill top views.

One word - C-U-R-R-Y  ;D

I'm sure more will come to me
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

Sponsored Links