Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I need to hear good things about the UK  (Read 159327 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I haven't read most of this thread, but I've been feeling really negative lately, so I'm happy to come across it and I need to remind myself of what I love here, so I'm just gonna have a go! :D

• Clotted Cream
  • Butchers, fishmongers, bakeries, fruit & veg vendors
  • commonness of organic, artisan, local, handmade
  • the commonness and accessibility to self-sustainable living
  • high streets in every neighbourhood
  • public transport
  • the ability to get products and services to come to me
  • old houses!
  • crossdressing!
  • the prevalence of theatre
  • my imminent-husband!
  • the slower pace
  • the more relaxed (read 'more sane') work ethic
  • easy, quick to get to countryside
  • easy, quick to get to cities
  • the proximity to Italy
  • cheaper world travel
  • almost everyone was taught a second language
  • history & culture, some of the beginnings of the world as we know it, are just outside my doorstop
  • British humour
  • the fact that I can use archaic language and nobody bats an eyelash
  • the subtle understated jokes and irony, it's like a humour mini-game!
  • strangers and acquaintances don't pry!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:51:28 PM by DuTempete »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
I also haven't read all of this thread (as I read page one and realized it was started in 2004 apparently), but I AM feeling quite a bit negative lately. I am going to be moving to Reading at the end of the year *crossing fingers on the visa going through* and I'm sooooo worried about missing my family (as I come from a very close, Italian family) and being lonely while my future-husband is at work that I will have a hard time adjusting. It's definitely nice to hear good things. I do love where I am moving to and the man I'm marrying (as well as the TV shows over there :p), but hearing all these positive things does help me get a bit more excited and less nervous. I've read on here it's hard to make friends and I've never had any issues before making friends whatsoever. Any suggestions for places I can go or things I can participate in that might make things a bit easier and help brighten my mood once I'm there?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
xOkiss-- I am also from a  big italian family..  "Live in the present"...soo hard to do..I wish I would have  done  that while I was there.. Don't worry about what you are missing stateside..it all looks  much more glamorous from over there.. People will get on with their lives in the states  and so should you..  I wish I would have listened to my own advice...  Holidays are difficult because  'they"  the Brits do it  oh soo  'differently"...  but hopefully you will get  a chance to get back  and  get your  'fix"..   Meetup.com was great for me while I was there..met some  cool people  with like  interests.. The brits in general  do not let  strangers  in  so  be  self  sufficient..get every  im  messaging  there is and keep in touch  with your besties from the US..  Public Transport is awesome in the UK so take advantage of it..learn to take the  buses and trains  and you will be amazed how  small and  cozy and comfortable it can be..you will feel  'familiar' in no time.. look forward to hearing about your adventures.. !!
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
Any suggestions for places I can go or things I can participate in that might make things a bit easier and help brighten my mood once I'm there?

There's a great thread about making friends here.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
There's a great thread about making friends here.

Thanks I will definitely have to check that out :) I'm fairly new to this site so it can be hard because I'll click on a thread I think pertains to me and it'll be from 2009 and therefore kind of out of date.  :-X

Azroomie- Thanks! I actually joined meetup the other night! Seems like a pretty good way to meet people :) Reading is a great place because the shops are all in walking distance and nice.  It's definitely going to be an exciting and different experience. I'm nervous but in an exciting way...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
I don't mean to be critical, but if you need to be persuaded to do something (i.e. move to England), best not do it. Put another way, don't come to Britain expecting it to be the USA. Not come expecting people to be the same. We share a language but the UK is a different culture and things are different from the USA.

Then again, if you do come to Britain, you might discover that the USA is not Nirvana. That people can and do lead great lives elsewhere. I've lived in many countries during my life thanks to my job, and you make them what they are. But in all seriousness, when you come leave America behind. Sure, be proud to be American and you can certainly retain your likes and preferences. But if you spend all your time comparing America and Britain you will make yourself miserable.

I hear Americans complaining about the lack of peanut butter, and VAT, and no sockets in the bathroom (a big gripe on this board). SO WHAT! Get over it and get used to it.

Do what your heart tells you to do and you will be happy.

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
I don't mean to be critical, but if you need to be persuaded to do something (i.e. move to England), best not do it. Put another way, don't come to Britain expecting it to be the USA. Not come expecting people to be the same. We share a language but the UK is a different culture and things are different from the USA.

Then again, if you do come to Britain, you might discover that the USA is not Nirvana. That people can and do lead great lives elsewhere. I've lived in many countries during my life thanks to my job, and you make them what they are. But in all seriousness, when you come leave America behind. Sure, be proud to be American and you can certainly retain your likes and preferences. But if you spend all your time comparing America and Britain you will make yourself miserable.

I hear Americans complaining about the lack of peanut butter, and VAT, and no sockets in the bathroom (a big gripe on this board). SO WHAT! Get over it and get used to it.

Do what your heart tells you to do and you will be happy.

Small thing- but who complains about peanut butter? Sainsburys sells it, it gets used in my house all the time for baked stuff and Thai food (and the occasional raspberry jam and peanut butter sandwich). Good advice though, people shouldn't come to the UK expecting the same lives they've led in the US. It will just make adjustment more difficult. Immersing yourself completely is the best way. There will always be things that you miss, or things that annoy you, but they're usually minor. I've been here six years and I can't imagine living back in the States. I miss friends and family sure, but my life is much better here, even with a recession and the Dark Lord Theresa May.
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »
Me for one! I want all natural, unsweetened, non-palm oil peanut butter.  I find some of the natural peanut butter here to have an odd texture.

But don't take what everyone says here as a reflection of their everyday life.  People come here to vent, or because they are worried about a big life change.  So yes, sometimes I get annoyed about not having mixer taps.  But then I get annoyed about things when I go other places as well.

« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
How about these peanut butters:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2793&prodid=3188

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/sainsburys-price-comparison/jam_and_spreads/all_natural_peanut_butter_and_co_old_fashioned_smooth_340g.html (with USA grown peanuts!)

or you could make your own: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Peanut-Butter

I know its frustrating when there's that one (or more) grocery item that you crave and can't find wherever you're living, for me it was "proper" teabags in the US, which meant stuffing my luggage with as many as I could manage on my return journeys.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
...if you need to be persuaded to do something (i.e. move to England), best not do it.

If anyone ever lived by this, so many people would miss out on a lot of great things just because they were unsure of something.

It's perfectly fine (and normal!) to seek some support and reassurance (even on trivial things like peanut butter) when you're doing something as massively life-changing as moving to another country.

To be entirely critical, that's horrible advice!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I LOVE the Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter.  It used to be sold in Tesco, but they stopped carrying it.  I still find it here and there at delis and I usually buy out their stock. 

Meridian is ok, but something to do with the texture is not quite right.  It is better than most though.

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »
I got really excited because that link you provided says Sainsbury's sells it and I'm sure I could get to one. 

But according to Sainsbury's website, they do not.   :\\\'(

• Liked: 585
« Reply #312 on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
REAL ALE!
Lovely hoppy biscuity beers with no fake fizz!

« Reply #313 on: May 14, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
Probably been listed before but, since I returned to the UK in February after many years in the Us and Asia:

The sound of letters landing on the doormat (rather than traipsing with key to mailbox way down road))
Shops, pub and restaurants just a couple of streets way
Not having to drive everywhere
It being cool enough to walk without dripping in sweat
No extreme weather such as hurricanes
Riding my bike on towpaths and country lanes
Keep fit classes with other ladies of my age
The Women's Institute
Having a chat with all and sundry
Buying my favourite foods
Sunday newspapers
Cider
Camping
Public transport

And that's just a selection

« Reply #314 on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
This might be an odd response from someone who has decided not to move here but there are some wonderful things about the UK. It is charming. You never lose sight of that. I love the pubs and sitting by a roaring fire. The scenery is gorgeous. Fresh air. Lot's of nature stuff to do. The food is quite good if you know where to go and especially in the ethnic categories. Fish and chips, lard and fried Mac Donalds apple pies are my favorite.

Sponsored Links