Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I need to hear good things about the UK  (Read 159316 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 08:43:25 AM »
I love the cool weather--85 F is a heat wave!! And the winters are also warmer than where I come from.

I love markets; I live in a market town and for me the essence of England is the smell of chips and vinegar, crowds of people for whom a bouquet of fresh flowers is just a normal part of the weekly shopping, and the distinctive call of the market traders--'Two pounds best ba-NAH-nas for a pound...two punnets English straw-brees pound and a hahff' :)

I like the way the person taking your money at the till always says, 'That's lovely, thank you', but that might just be a midlands thing.

I love the way the English organise themselves into a queue and have a rabid sense of fairplay about who gets to go next.

I love that it's a small country, travelling is easy and there's so much to see--history everywhere.

Plus, my husband lives here and I cannot do without him for a day.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 09:43:24 AM »
The men here are more comfortable with their sexuality - less macho and homophobic. You wouldn't get straight men in America who say "lovely" and admit to taking baths! It's great. I think UK men also are more willing to do household chores and are less likely to consider them women's work.

Women TV presenters are not toothpicks!  They are quite "healthy" looking and I love that. People DO seem to have a more positive body image here, with less expectation of unrealistic perfection. There still is some pressure to look good (hair and tanning salons are everywhere), I don't think that will go away and I would imagine that in London it would be more so than other places. But, I feel that there is a better mix of all types of people out socializing and shopping. They don't stay home and hide away here - old, young, fat, skinny, tall, short, rich, poor, all different levels of the social strata get out and about. So, it makes you feel quite comfortable.

-I also agree with what some people have said about men being more accepting of different (non-Barbie) body types here. I have never had someone express so much love for my body than my husband.   :) And I see this kind of thing almost all across the board with English men. I feel much more comfortable with my body here and nearly free from all the pressure I felt at home to have a perfect body (something that has always eluded me!)

-I also love that men take baths here and there is no shame. My husband will spend three hours in there! He loves it!

-Has anyone mentioned Cornettos???

-I love being called "love"

-Though I am a non-drinker, I love that people are not afraid to drink at lunchtime.

-The work culture is not as cutthroat and competative. I am practically congratulated for taking time off!

-LESS MATERIALISM! Don't get me wrong, I still love the US and always will, but the rampant materialism, keeping up with the jonses ALWAYS really bothered me. People judging you based on the car you drove or the area you lived in?? Please.

-The weather!

That's all I can think of for now... :)

• Out of Dodge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 12:11:16 PM »
Architecture. Someone mentioned the Nat History Museum. Beautiful. I could stare at St Paul's dome all day.

Walking everywhere. My legs are so toned!

Going to the nearest park on a sunny day and people watching.

The friendliness: I was actually at a pub (Bell and Crown on the Thames on the Chiswick side of Kew Bridge! Go!) where everyone outside was chatting with strangers. I am so going back this Sunday.

Jaywalking.

delara

P.S. I am a transplant from Los Angeles, hence the above
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 04:37:12 PM »
Being in London, I love seeing so many people from different walks of life...and hearing so many accents. 

The buildings are so amazing to look at.

I live right next to a public park that is more beautiful and well kept than any I've ever been in the US...and it even has a wonderful public loo!

Public transportation is easy...the bus is a great way to see the city.

I'm sure the longer I'm here, the better it will be (though living in London there are a lot more super skinny chicks than I'm used to...I feel a bit large to be honest!)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2004, 08:57:47 PM »
Well, coming from someone who is now living in Scotland....

-the traditional Scottish culture... bagpipes, kilts, etc... very romantic (although obviously nobody walks around in kilts these days eating haggis, the men still wear kilts to weddings, which I love)
-the nights are much, much longer in the summer, with the sun setting as late as 11pm!  ;D
-no temperature extremes... not too hot, not too cold (last winter in Boston was RIDICULOUSLY cold ::))
-festivals like The Wickerman Festival and T in the Park
-the expressions, like "pure baltic" and "aye, the noo"
-like others have said, the more lax attitude toward drinking (Americans can be VERY uptight over this) and having a good time in general
-Marks & Spencer microwave meals... healthy and delicious, without too many additives... ideal for a health-conscious but lazy student like myself  ;)
-the food (yes, I have managed to find everything I like in supermarkets, believe it or not!)
-everything stays pretty much green, year-round
-the Highlands and the countryside (sigh), and the fact that you're never too far away from grassy meadows, no matter where you are
-the nightlife is excellent!
-people here in Scotland are generally very relaxed and friendly and have a great sense of humor

Then again, I also love America... but living in Scotland is a wonderful experience!
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2004, 04:03:05 PM »
I have perfected reverse parking into almost any size parking place ;) 

Markets, fresher flowers, butter, Waitrose and Marks and Spencer ready made meals, most pubs, people tend to dress a little nicer(not as casual as the states), lots of other things.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2004, 01:03:05 PM »
I love the beauty of the countryside, going for long drives on winding roads, close proximity to Europe, the weather (it doesn't rain most of the time and when it does, I don't mind) going down the pub and most especially my wonderful English husband! ;) 
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2004, 09:35:11 AM »
Now....

I have to add a few things I love about being here.

* The wind on the moors that cleanses every negative vibe in your body and sweeps it away.

* Organic Veg Boxes straight from the farmer dirt and all.

* All the rainbows that appear.

* Gastropubs and locally sourced products.

* Watching a storm roll in off the coast.

* Roundabouts (I get lost a bit and these help me whirl around and get going in the right direction now that I have the hang of them.)

* More polite drivers in the SW than in GA. (People let me in when it's crowded... they wave you on, they actually pull out of the passing lane instead of riding in it for hours on end.)

* Living in a city I have all the stores, pubs, resturants and anything I need at my door step.  No need to drive 30 mins to get milk.

* Devon custard and clotted cream.

* History.

So I know a lot of these you can get in the US too.. but they are just things I did not have the last place I lived.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 11:04:18 AM by Mindy »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2004, 08:54:57 PM »
Cheeses in UK. Hundreds of varieties are available from lots of countries.

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2004, 10:13:46 PM »
Well I am born and raised here - thats good (isn't it????) ???  Good things that you need to hear about the UK..... hmmm here goes...

1) The average UK person thinks that a real live US accent is sexy, so you will always get a smile and people willing to hear you talk.

2) We have almost everything within walking distance.

3) If you are on a diet you can lose weight here!! we dont carry the range and amounts of food you guys do in the USA.  but we have a whole heap of things you dont - so get ready to explore and try new things!!!

4) Sensitive skin?? we have the best weather for it - Sun?  What Sun!!!!

5) Christmas in the snow - only the UK can ground to a halt and look like a Dickens Christmas Carol!!

6) We say please to very everything (lol sorry ;D - couldn't help it!!!)

7) You dont have to drive for miles to get a change of scenary, accent, nationality or restaurant choice.

Does that help? 

See you soon - we promise not to bite!!!

Jade

• Banned

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2004, 04:55:35 PM »
UK murder rates are lower than in US.

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2004, 05:27:20 PM »
If you are kind, open minded and a person who adapts to change well.. you will enjoy it here. I have found it to be a wonderful experience. I have made lovely friends, love my work here  and to top it all  have spent the last year overcoming breast cancer: surgery, chemo, rads, etc. and have all my docs here and I am receiving the gold standard treatment  and even getting things on my insurance here that my US insurance would never cover.

I have been amazed by the outpouring of kindness by people who I have only known a short time. They have been fantastic to me and my husband.  My dearest and oldest friends are in the States and will always be just that my dearest and oldest friends.   People are people.. the same everywhere.. some are happy and they look at the good qualities wherever they live, some are miserable in themselves and look to complain about everything.. If you approach your move as  a new adventure and look for the good, you will automatically notice the good things first and that will help you cope with the bad things!
All the best,
overthepond!
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

• Banned

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2004, 07:50:41 PM »
Having talked to Mrs C (she is from USA) over a glass of wine we have come up with the following in no particular order:

Fish and chips.
The huge variety of crisps (chips in US speak)
Amaretti cookies
Real beer
Fast cars
You don't need to carry your drivers licence
No bugs - screens are nor required.
Mild weather all year round
No hurricanes or tornados
Aberdeen Angus steak (Black Angus in US)
Guns are illegal. Gun crime is far less.

We forgot wonderful bacon.
A huge variety of saussages
Vegatables from all over the world

« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 07:56:45 PM by Cascode »

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2005, 01:06:55 AM »
What I love about the UK:
I'll be living in Scotland and I've been there a couple times before so I'll have to say
My fiance and his family
Indian food (I'm addicted to curry!)
the bakeries
the gorgeous landscape with all the hills and fields
highland cows
the castles
the lochs
stone fences
the local centre
public transportation
the beautiful accents
the people of Britian
magpies, robins and hedgehogs..they're so cute!
the sound of bagpipes
Scottish hospitality
British tv shows
The royal family
the rich history and culture of Britian
the archetectural works of art
Walkers Crisps and Irn Bru
Galaxy and Cadbury chocolate
there's so much more I can think of but I'll stop here. All I can say is there's so much to love about the UK, and it's going to be my new home  :D

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »

Here's more:

leaving work at 5:30, walking down Kingsway to Aldwych/ Strand, then over Waterloo Bridge, taking LOADS of photographs, experimenting with my new digital camera :), and just being blown away by my surroundings.  Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Eye, all to the West, St. Paul's, Somerset House, Embankment all along the East, the National Theatre just across the bridge... I mean, wow.
THEN- walking in to the Royal Festival Hall, to be met with (good) crowds of people, buying bottles of wine, sitting at tables and standing around, having a chat, while amazing live jazz plays in the background.
THEN - going upstairs into the theatre to hear the most gorgeous concert presentation of Candide, with Thomas Allen (taped for an airing on BBC 4 some time in June), and walking out knowing, I've just experienced something very, very special.  It was funny, moving, clear to understand, lovely, and just glorious.
THEN - walking along the South Bank, down past Southwark to Borough, passing the market (where Jamie Oliver shops), then catching the tube home (thankfully, uneventful).
THEN - waking up, catching the tube to Pimlico, and meeting up with a friend, on a beautifully cold, sunny day, to go into Tate Britain to see a special exhibit of Monet, Whistler and Turner... then spend hours wandering amongst the other galleries.
THEN - on Sunday, doing NOTHING.

I LOVE IT.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 11:08:12 AM by Mindy »
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

Sponsored Links