Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cultural differences in marriage?  (Read 17690 times)

Re: Cultural differences in marriage?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
I'm not married to my UK BF but I do relate to this thread!!  wow.  Lots of people said some informative things. 

So,  I have been noticing that I am the one that is always telling him how much I am head over heels for him.. and how deeply I have fell in love with him.

I know he loves me, but he doesn't express it as enthusiastically.  In fact, he has told me how he has even noticed that americans as a whole seem more and sound enthusiastic than people from the UK.

and I am more enthusiastic than other people around me, so he is getting a double shot!

Like, when I was with him, I would ask him if certain things looked good on me, and he would go, yeah, you look alright.  And I would say ALRIGHT?  just alright?  or he would just say, "yeah" in an unenthusiastic way and I'd be confused!  But he's explained to me that his voice isn't as enthusiastic as mine!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »
It's also very difficult to get beyond a superficial level in a relationship with a Brit, whether it's a lover or a friend. 

This will be news to my husband, family and all my friends.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:50 AM »
I agree with Suzanne.  The Brits don't show what they're about while Americans are up front about who they are and what they believe.  It's also very difficult to get beyond a superficial level in a relationship with a Brit, whether it's a lover or a friend.  They are pretty reserved and don't normally talk about deep stuff.

I can't agree with this at all. My DH is actually the one who shows more emotion in our relationship. He sometimes gets insecure over it! He is definitely romantic and talks about a lot of "deep stuff." And he definitely voices his opinions and gets angry and passionate about them sometimes. Not to mention, almost no one is reserved in the area where I live, the people around here are very chatty, funny, and outspoken. You should be careful about makin gsweeping generalizations about people like that. Not all Americans are outspoken and share their emotions with others, either.

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
I can't agree with this at all. My DH is actually the one who shows more emotion in our relationship. He sometimes gets insecure over it! He is definitely romantic and talks about a lot of "deep stuff."   

Same with my boyfriend.  He is infinitely friendlier, chattier and more romantic and emotional than I am.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
Yeah, I'd say my family and I are probably more reserved than my BF and his family.  Not all Americans are the open, outgoing stereotypes.  It's like pulling teeth to get my family to discuss anything regarding feelings or personal issues.  Just doesn't happen!  My BF on the other hand is all gestures and thoughts and good stuff.  It's a nice change of pace.

x-posted with Jewlz and genau!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

Like, when I was with him, I would ask him if certain things looked good on me, and he would go, yeah, you look alright.  And I would say ALRIGHT?  just alright?  or he would just say, "yeah" in an unenthusiastic way and I'd be confused!  But he's explained to me that his voice isn't as enthusiastic as mine!

Isn't that just being a man?

I would post a response to comments in this thread, but I'm trying to be good.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:46 AM »
Yes thanks to everyone for being very restrained here but I'm locking it now.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab