Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Baggage allowances  (Read 815 times)

• Back again
  • Liked: 0
Baggage allowances
« on: February 28, 2004, 08:55:02 AM »
As my husband and I are getting ready for our move over, and are bringing back much more than we came over with, we have 2 extra suitcases to check.

We are flying BA and know that we have to pay for the extra bags. I am just wondering if anyone who has flown BA has ever been refused the extra bags b/c of lack of room for them even though you were willing to pay the extra charge. Just imagining the worst case scenario of checking my bags, getting out my $200 for the extra luggage, and then being refused b/c a full flight is going with no extra room.

Any details appreciated.

Jenny

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
Re: Baggage allowances
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 09:17:27 AM »
British airways say:

Excess Baggage
If you have personal baggage that is in excess of your free allowance, British Airways will be able to carry your luggage in either of two ways

Excess Baggage
Unaccompanied Bags (not accepted for travel to/from USA.)

Excess baggage will incur charges, however you have the choice as to how much you pay, depending on how urgently you require your baggage.

If you want all the baggage to travel with you, then we will apply Excess Baggage charges - the amount is dependent on whether your allowance is based on the piece or the weight allowance.

Payment

Excess baggage can be paid for by credit card, cash or travellers cheques. If you know how much excess baggage you will be carrying you may also ask your travel agent or British Airways office to issue you with a Miscellaneous Charges Order.

Check in times

If you are planning to travel with excess baggage we suggest you check in at least 20 minutes earlier than the recommended check-in time.

My reading of that is that you'll be fine if you arrive another 20 minutes early, and you could even book your excess baggage ahead of time if you wanted.   I've not heard of any excess baggage being refused to / from the USA and you're "only" talking 2 extra pieces.  There is nothing in the text above that has any hint of "we may refuse the extra baggage if we're full" and that's the page that I would expect to find that warning on if it applied.

Beware the 32Kgs per piece limit, though.  I've had to lighten a case at checkin; luckily I had one bag less than I was allowed and I was provided with a box by the checkin staff.

-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Back again
Re: Baggage allowances
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 04:50:30 PM »
Thanks so much GrahamE.

I don't know why I was thinking of this scenario. Maybe one of those Airline shows in the past??? Of course I am sure the featured airline was a budget airline that really did only have room for the allowed luggage or something.

Your information has put my mind at ease. Thanks again.

Jenny :)

Sponsored Links