Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Suggestions please.  (Read 26259 times)

Suggestions please.
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
How about some suggestions from new/future expats about what they'd like help with!  Please no long winded questions and NO VISA STUFF.  Just ideas for topics.  :)

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

• Liked: 0
Re: Suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
What's the best and least expensive way to move all my stuff?  No furniture.  Just clothes and books, etc.
I am the architect of my destiny.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »
I suggest that chary tells us all how to navigate the carboot sale!  And Elizabeth(our own performer) tells us all about all things entertainment in London!  Oh and could someone explain how to get a round in without looking like a buffoon!-like how to know when it's your round or how not to make a face when someone asks for something weird/expensive :)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:39:16 PM »
How to write a letter to your MP (what formalities do you use, any tips on phrasing your concerns or requests, helpful links, etc.).

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »
Perhaps a list of good websites for ordering stuff - household things, office supplies, cooking stuff, etc.

I'll post what I have tomorrow and hopefully others will add their favourite sites!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Perhaps a list of good websites for ordering stuff - household things, office supplies, cooking stuff, etc.

I'll post what I have tomorrow and hopefully others will add their favourite sites!  ;D

Good idea!  I also have plans to start a list of shops tomorrow-what to buy where.  That sort of thing.  Unless someone else wants to go ahead and start it.  :) 

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:12:32 PM »
Good idea!  I also have plans to start a list of shops tomorrow-what to buy where.  That sort of thing.  Unless someone else wants to go ahead and start it.  :) 

Ooooh, that's a great idea.  I spent a day when I first got here crying in the middle of city centre once, because I didn't know where to buy a broom except Tesco and I didn't know how to get there! 

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:51:32 PM »
Great suggestions so far!! How about how to call back to friends and family for least expensive or how to find the best deals on flights. I know some people have talked about that in other threads, but having a one-stop resource would be great!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
How about a thread of restaurant reviews, and/or one for ideas for a day/weekend out. It could be a place to post about an exhibition you've heard about/seen, a nice walk you took on a particular footpath, a National Trust property that is worth a visit, etc.

What's the best and least expensive way to move all my stuff?  No furniture.  Just clothes and books, etc.

I asked about shipping books with M-bags in a thread last year, and got some extremely useful replies and followed up with my own successful story. Have a look for that thread in the moving area, or perhaps it could be moved over here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:13:04 AM by kate_mate »

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:57:16 AM »
I have one, how to eat healthy in the UK.  I can't seem to see past the crap. (I blame my husband for this) I know it's not just the UK, but I know I'm not alone.  Counting baby weight I've put on about four stone in the past four years.  I need help trying to get it off.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
That's a good idea Stacey. Yes, the US is probably worse, but if you're American, you've had years of 'figuring the system out'! :)

I also think a banking in the UK thread might be a good idea. Such as how you might not be able to use your US credit cards on UK sites and vice versa; how the overdraft system works; etc.

On that note, a thread on tackling the tax credits/benefits system (once you are eligible) might be useful because it can be a very daunting process.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 08:01:18 AM »
How about a thread explaining how to turn your US resume into a British CV?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »
How about a thread explaining how to turn your US resume into a British CV?

Brilliant!

I have one too, can someone tell us the names of otc meds we would need for example colds, flu, etc.  I know there have been loads of times I would have no idea what to ask for.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »
I would like to start a thread about links for parents, families and children.  I'm working on it. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 11:43:52 AM »
I would like to start a thread about links for parents, families and children.  I'm working on it. 

That's a great idea!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab