Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Local Butcher  (Read 2053 times)

• Liked: 0
Local Butcher
« on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »
I was really disappointed by our local butcher.  I bought steak and chicken for DH and both smelled off - I cooked the steak the same day and froze the chicken (which smelled nasty after it defrosted).

I really wanted to do my part and buy local, but it doesn't help when the butcher isn't good!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Local Butcher
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
I really wanted to do my part and buy local, but it doesn't help when the butcher isn't good!

Is there a different local one that you can try?  We have several here, but fortunately the one just down the street is fab!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:31:01 PM »
Yeah, I think there's another one a bit further away.  I may try them, but wish DH would just go vegetarian! :P

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:44 PM »
Wishing you luck - vegetarian or butcher-wise.

There must be loads of small butchers in Glasgow?  Wondering if anyone who knows Glasgow well could recommend one?  Anyone?  QG?

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »
There are loads... but im not sure Yael actually lives in Glasgow.  :-\\\\

And anyway, it's 10 years since i lived in Glasgow... i wouldnt remember where they are, apart from the ones near where i lived.

Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:37:15 PM by Q-G »

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:38:27 PM »
Oh, I don't know either?  I was going by what's listed as her location on her profile. ??? :)

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
Go back to the Butchers and tell them you are unhappy, my husband is a butcher and he told me if anyone came in saying that his product was "off", we would definitely make sure you are reimbursed and taken care of from then on out.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
Go back to the Butchers and tell them you are unhappy, my husband is a butcher and he told me if anyone came in saying that his product was "off", we would definitely make sure you are reimbursed and taken care of from then on out.

Thanks zeusy, I knew you would have some good inside advice! :)

I just think it's really soooo important to support your local community farmers & merchants, as expat-in-scotland mentioned on another thread recently.  Before Tescos et al put them all out of business.  And it benefits the consumer too because the quality is so much better, not to mention lower 'food miles'.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:25:56 PM by carolyn_b »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »
Dh & I get most of meat from the local buther in our town as well. we usually get all our pork chops, skinless chicken breast, sausages, pork & apple burgers & gamon steaks.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
I live outside of Glasgow but I work in the city centre, so I could go to a butcher during lunch.

The funny thing is, I actually got the meat from two butchers (one just sells beef the other just poultry) and it was still off.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
I live outside of Glasgow but I work in the city centre, so I could go to a butcher during lunch.

Don't do that unless you've got a fridge to keep it in until you leave work.  A lot of meat goes off because it's not being stored properly after the purchase.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 06:46:49 PM »

Don't do that unless you've got a fridge to keep it in until you leave work.  A lot of meat goes off because it's not being stored properly after the purchase.

I do have a fridge at work.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
You are awfully good to go to the butcher for your husband. I make mine go himself, I can't stand looking at all the raw meat.  (Although I do cook it for him).

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 07:25:51 PM »
Not being funny, but are you absolutely sure it was actually off or bad? I find that meat from a good butcher smells stronger than the sterilized stuff from a supermarket. Beef in particular.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
Not being funny, but are you absolutely sure it was actually off or bad? I find that meat from a good butcher smells stronger than the sterilized stuff from a supermarket. Beef in particular.

That's actually a good point. I don't eat beef, but even chicken tastes somehow more "chickeny" from the butcher. If you've been used to eating supermarket meat, then it might be an acquired taste.

Then again, your butcher might just be crap.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab