Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from Bristol  (Read 1402 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello from Bristol
« on: October 29, 2002, 12:06:32 PM »
Hello to everyone.  I recently came across this web site and think it is great!  I wish something like this existed when I first came to the UK 11 years ago.  It's great to see so many Americans choosing to live in what I think is a great country.  However, most people seem to be settling in the London area.  Is there anyone else out there in Bristol?

Cheers! :)
Suzanne

• Maine to London
Re: Hello from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 01:05:23 PM »
Hello BristolBabe and welcome to the site! ;D
I am not in Bristol, but you will find that the members of this site are scatterred all over the United Kingdom.  This site is a great resource and a great way to feel connected to other expats going through the same feelings and emotions.  

Welcome and keep posting!
expat  ;)
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 03:37:45 PM »
waving arms wildly

Ooooh, I'm in Melksham! Been here for five years and love it. I love Bristol city centre, was even thinking about being there this Friday. Whereabouts in Bristol are you?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 07:57:39 PM »
hello bristolbabe...welcome to the site.  so you've been 11years huh...tell us your secrets to survival, lol.  how long did it take you to actually feel like you belong here (fit in)?  and what brought you to england?  we have live chats on tuesday around 8pm if you wanna come and join in...love to have ya.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 03:56:07 PM »
Thanks for all your hellos!  I found the member map so now I see that there are a lot of members living all over the UK.

I came to England because I am married to a fantastic Englishman.  We met in 91 and married in 92.  I had some of the very same immigration problems some people have mentioned on this site.  As a matter of fact, my husband and I actually ended up having a "secret" (to all of our relatives) registry office wedding prior to our "real" wedding just to ease the paperwork.

I've lived in Bristol since 92 and absolutely love it here.  We have a flat in a large Victorian house just off the Bristol Downs.  I work in the city centre.  If anyone is planning on being in Bristol soon, let me know and I'll try to arrange to get together (you can e-mail me at scarlino@waitrose.com).

I've been really happy living here.  I was lucky because I managed to make a lot of friends through my husband and my work.  I've found that most people are very friendly once you get past the initial British reserve.

I'm happy to pass on the benefit of any of my experiences, but it looks like there is already so much good information on this site.  Keep up the good work!
Suzanne

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 08:13:41 PM »
Hello Bristolbabe,

welcome to the site...  I am not in England yet...  but hope to be there with in a few months time after fiance and I get married.

it is noted that most here live near London, in London or mostly in the south...  I will be in Northumberland...way way up there...  and can not wait, I love it over there and it is nice to hear more from the people that love living in the UK.

michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 11:33:08 AM »
Michele,

Northumberland is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure you will love it.  My husband is originally from up around that area (although not quite that far North).  Best of luck with your move - I hope all goes well! :D
Suzanne

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 06:25:20 PM »
Thank you Suzanne
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab