Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tuiton fees  (Read 2534 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Tuiton fees
« on: November 02, 2002, 11:56:10 PM »
I was chatting the other day with a student who is english and she says that her fees are only like 1/5 of what i am paying....really cheap...compared to US Tuition as well...i was surprised...and said i wonder why all english folks dont attend in that case
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 1
Re: Tuiton fees
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 04:00:15 PM »
Up until about two years ago, they didn't pay any tuition and they got a grant.  In other words they were basically paid to attend Uni.  In Scotland they revoked the tuition last year (I think), but you have to have a certain residency in Scotland before you can take advantage of it.  If you are from England for example you have to pay.  I think there are two real reasons why everybody doesn't take advantage of this (and feel free to refute this), they are

1.  There is a certain mentality in Britian that if you grew up in a working class family you became a working class person.  Not everyone by a long shot, but there are still a lot of class stereotypes.

2.  You have to start applying for schools when you are sixteen.  You aren't guaranteed a place past that.  You have to pass a certain set of exams for further education and I think that puts a lot of young people off.

Once again just my opinion...

'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 02:07:19 PM »
Well, I have to say from what I've seen - that makes perfect sense to me.  It's a bit sad, I think, that the class system is as prevalent as it is.  But of course, this is me speaking as someone who wasn't raised here and who grew up with differences in certain values - and the value of a class system is one of those.  

Russ was given a grant to go to uni, and even though he didn't take the greatest advantage of that opportunity  ::) , he was shocked when I told him how much I had to pay - and am still paying! - back in loans.  I have to say, the system they have for UK citizens isn't a bad deal at all.

~Christa

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 06:47:32 PM »
I am having such a headache over my tution fees rite now...it seems like it is taking forever to get things sorted out..i am working through a guarantor company in Ohio and now they are saying that they mite not be able to cover my full tuition here....they would have been able in the states..

ahh....i really dont want to have to pay 3000 dollars out of pocket...

the us govt is basing it on the FAFSA which is based on my income last year and now i am making zip...zero...so how am i expected to be able to pay for any of my tution...sigh...

also since the uk doesnt use freshman, soph, junior and senior...it is confusing to the guarantee lady in the US...she says if i am a soph - which she thinks is equivalent to a second year student here...then i would get less money then if i was a junior...When in the states i have enough credit to be a senior...

ahhhh...lol...i just wish they would give me the money to cover all my expenses...i will have to pay it back....just frustrated rite now..
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 06:59:59 PM »
Well I have to say I can sympahise with  you.  For months and months I have been researching, e-mailing, telephoning people regarding doing a Teaching PGCE.  It all came to a head last week when I was offered a full time position at my current place of work.  I can't turn it down.  I can't pass up an oppertunity for full time work at a job that I really do enjoy and is a rare opertunity when my other option is paying 8,000 pounds for tuition.  I am really gutted to have to give up this dream (at least for three years), but don't really feel like I've got a choice.  It is very, very frustrating!

I hope things work out well for you.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab