Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone Using Tax Software for returns?  (Read 908 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Anyone Using Tax Software for returns?
« on: March 08, 2004, 04:33:38 PM »
Hi,

This is my first time filing a return for the US while living abroad. I just arrived in June, so I have a split tax year, half year of US income, half year of UK income (UK employer).

In years past I've always used Tax Software, like TaxCut from HR Block. It's always worked just fine, as my taxes are fairly simple (no dependants, just own a house in CA, which I'm now renting). But I'm wondering if anyone has found these programs useful when filing from abroad, using the Foreign Income Exemption, etc.

The only thing I've found online is that you have to mail (post) these types of returns - no e-filing.

I'm guessing it should all work just fine, but if anyone has tried it out, I'd be curious to hear about their experiences.

Thanks a bunch!
-Eric

• My Girl
Re: Anyone Using Tax Software for returns?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 11:31:41 AM »
I bought a copy of Turbotax when I was in the states over Xmas, since I have used it for years and never had a problem.  I did a "test run" on my taxes this year, and the results were mixed.  It did an OK job of explaining my US tax liability, but was no help with the UK end of things.  In my case, since I did not pass any of the "physical presence" tests (I have only been here since October), I could not claim any foreign exemptions.  So , I am guessing that if I end up staying is this country long term (I am now going to be here until October 1), I will probably have to file an ammended return for 2003 next year.  It should be interesting...
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:48:51 PM »
I spoke a rep with turbotax, to see if their software would support my filing married/filing joint with my non resident alien husband(who has an ITIN) , and they said their software fully supported that,, but when I was going thru the steps, it doens't allow for his income to be excluded from the end total. I then spoke with someone at the IRS office to make sure that I understood it correct, that his income was not to be taxed, as it was fully earned here in the UK, and they said that turbotax, doesn't actually allow for this in their software :/,, so I did it all by hand, step by painful step. Actually, it wasn't all that hard,, but fingers crossed that I calulated everything correctly.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 04:50:04 PM by tebs »

• Hi there.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Ed and Tebs.

It sounds like not too much success with turbotax. I suppose I was naive in thinking that my 2003 taxes would appear just as though I had worked half a year in the US, and that the UK side would just be entered in as exempt income. But it sounds a lot messier than that. I hadn't been aware of the physical presense test for the foreign income exemption.

Hmmm - not sure what to do, risk the software, hire a professional, or...eeeek! do it by hand.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 05:47:54 PM »
Eric, I have had really helpful support whenever I have phoned the IRS. For my 2002 tax year, a rep even stayed on the phone the whole time when I had to file an amended form. He went thru each step with me, and helped me with the calulations. I highly recommend phoning them for any help you may need. :)

Sponsored Links