Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job Prospecting before move.....  (Read 2416 times)

• Liked: 1
Job Prospecting before move.....
« on: March 10, 2004, 03:57:25 PM »
i was thinking, it's probabally best to start sending out resumes when i'm actually *in* england, correct?  i've been looking on Monster and so many positions ask you to be there first....so i didn't want to waste my time and send out resumes before hand if i won't be there for another few weeks.

(i was thinking if i sent some mid august and i'd be in england and eligible to work mid september).

I'm still tossing the idea around of staying with my company but 90% of me wants to try something new and 10% of me likes the stability of having a job lined up.  I'll be taking some $$ over with me so we'll be Ok financially, plus with his sallary.  Maybe i should just enjoy the city and take the job as it comes......

then again if 3 months pass with me out of a job, we may have an issue.....

Oh, I work in financial marketing.

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
Re: Job Prospecting before move.....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 04:42:52 PM »
I tried doing a little job hunting while Im still here in the US, but got zero responses, most likely because I have a US address on my resume, though I said I will be legally allowed to work.

Ive given up and am just waiting until I get there and have a UK address and phone number, am married and have my FLR.  I plan to be ready to pounce the week after I get my FLR though!!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 04:47:08 PM »
Since i get the spouse visa stamped in my passport, that means i can work, right?

what's FLR again?  I keep forgetting that!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 05:28:05 PM »
FLR is Further Leave to Remain.

And, yes, if you enter on a Spouse Visa (already married) then you are legal to work the minute you get here!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 05:51:07 PM »
Hiya Aimi,

From my experience, it is best to wait until you move to the UK until you start looking for a job. Employers tend to be unresponsive to those who can't work here.

Good luck on the job hunt.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 06:28:51 PM »
i was thinking that!

well, at least it gives me time to convert the numbers on my resume to Pound sterling and to revise it....  :)

i think i'll enjoy not working for a little bit.   8)

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:30:27 PM »
Are your spouses all coming to the US on fiance visas, getting married here, and then bringing you back??? Is that the only way to be able to start working right away without a work permit??
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 07:34:13 PM »
As long as you are both planning on going to the UK to live after your wedding, your fiance will not need to have any type of visa to enter the US and marry you.  Once you're married, you can go to the British Consulate office in the US, get a spousal visa and then come to the UK and work immediately.

The only way to work as soon as you enter the country (if your visa is relationship based) is to get your spousal visa from the US.  

The only other option is to get a fiance visa from the US, come to the UK, get married in the UK and then apply for a spousal visa.  With this process though, you can't work until you get the spousal visa either.

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 08:41:57 PM »
And they don't question getting married here on a visitor Visa?

I've been under the impression that that's looked at unfavourably.... ???
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 08:45:57 PM »
And they don't question getting married here on a visitor Visa?

I've been under the impression that that's looked at unfavourably.... ???

:) It is, but you just don't mention it at immigration. Never answer a question they don't ask (and they won't ask you if you plan on getting married).

Jon came over here to marry me and didn't have any problems. My advice is to have our fiance bring proof that you will be moving to the UK (ie, letter from landlord or boss etc) that way if he is confronted on it, he can show them your intentions.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 09:24:03 PM »
he's not telling that we're getting married!  also, we're having our guests stay 'hush' about it, hopefully they'll tell immigration they're on holiday!  if he did indeed get stopped and asked about it he'll have copies of the lease and current bills and his return ticket showing he is indeed returning, and i'l be joining him!  he has no intention of staying and i am heading to the british consulate in NY after the HM!  (he has to return to london for work.....bummer).

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 09:32:13 PM »
i saw some advice from someone in another thread a while ago that may help, Aimiloo - tell him not to bring any kind of diary or datebook that has mention of a wedding date in it, in case immigration wants to look through it.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 10:49:59 PM »
oooh lou i remember that!  thanks!

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 04:36:23 AM »
I work for a global company and met with a couple of managers at our London area office back in September and they even said to wait until I got there and then apply. I think it is so you can start quickly and they don't have to wait on you coming over.

• Hi there.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »
This is an issue I have been worried about as well.

I simply don't think that my gf and I could afford to move over to London before getting jobs.  It will be hard enough to save up the money to make the move (e.g., security deposit and first mo rent) and cover expenses for even a month.  What if we moved over and couldn't find jobs for months?

I can see how it could be possible to move then apply for one moving over and joining a spouse who is already living and working there.  But we'd both be moving over together, both unemployed.  I don't see how that's possible.

Is it really very hard to get responses from UK employers while still in the US?

Or perhaps we could move over and sign up with temp agencies, hoping to get temp work while looking for jobs in our fields?  However, neither of us has any office-y type skills, and it seems that temp agencies mostly do those kind of placements.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 08:19:25 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

Sponsored Links