Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - the SPOILER thread!  (Read 10829 times)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - the SPOILER thread!
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
Just thought I'd start one for all you friends who will be at the midnight release and reading as long as you can stay awake tonight.

If you don't want to discuss, know, this might not be the thread for you!  ;D

You've been warned!  ;)

I'll be away at 9PM tonight, when queuing starts at my local Waterstone's.

• Liked: 0
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - the SPOILER thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:20:04 PM »
I work in a bookstore, we are having a party and dressing up with a cake shaped like Hogwarts.  We have about 400 people coming.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
I'm picking up the book, then heading upstairs to the bar in the mall that's got a 2AM license and reading the end.

;D

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:46:38 PM »
Found this article which has spoilers...I have not read the last bit but just in case someone else wants to: http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/07/20/harry/
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
a cake shaped like Hogwarts
AWESOME! I want pictures!!!  ;D

Alas, due to today's work issues, I'm afraid I shall be finishing up my paper tomorrow rather than reading Harry Potter.  >:( Guess that'll be my reward for getting the thing done--if J doesn't get to it first...

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
K, folks, this is your last warning.

SPOILER ALERT!  Do NOT READ if you don't want to know!

to the boy . . .

who lived:D

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »
And Courtney.  Your link . . .

is spot on.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 01:59:38 AM »
Page 35 and I am already crying.  Also, there was one arrest, a 1 1/2 mile long line at the same store, and a four hour wait at teh Borders in town due to some issues with pre-orders.  Our store, was awesome!!  A little girl came dressed as the golden snitch, so cute!

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
I'm finished.

That was weak.

:(

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
I finished it around 530 this afternoon.  I liked it for the most part, now that I have had time to go for a walk and mull it over.  In general, I found it more satisfying than other series I have read. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:13:15 PM by bookgrl »

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »
I wanted to post this last night after I got off work but for some reason I couldn't send them to my email it kept failing!!

This was the line at my store...at I believe 11:30...it wrapped around the back of the store...very far and kept growing! I wanted the book but I wasn't about to stand in that line!!

We had a little over 1,100 books. These are some of the lovely books on the pallette!(little blurry)   :D

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:18:23 PM »
yay, I just finished.  I really liked it.  Think I'll have to read it again to pick up on every single last nuance, but that can wait a while.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 12:52:20 AM »
I just finished it too. DB has started reading it now. To me it felt almost like there had been too much left to talk about in one book. Part of the middle seemed to drag for me as well.

I missed it not really being at Hogwarts much. I can't believe some of the people who died!! I also wasn't too surprised about Snape. I had thought of that after rereading HBP.

My eyes hurt from having read non-stop today!

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 04:05:16 AM »
I've just finished. I went to a midnight party at my local Borders. I sat in the café with my laptop surfing the web and people watching. Lots of cute little kids in costumes!

I cried, more than once, and I suppose people were right about Harry dying... though not fully! What I can't figure out is why all that rot about Albus's family was included. I mean, yes it was important for him to have known Grindelwald, but honestly I could have done without all that nonsense. It felt like a weird side story that didn't even need to be included. I would have loved to know more about what was directly happening to those stuck inside Hogwarts, for instance.

And was it just me, or were there several moments when anyone else randomly thought that perhaps Severus was Harry's father by spot of random love affair? Some of the sections explaining Severus and Lily really had me thinking in conspiracies!

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 04:31:02 AM »
OMG! I almost forgot to share my hilarious story!

While I was sitting in the Borders café, I was in the corner with a few other people sitting in the cushy leather chairs they have. The girl next to me looked like she was writing her thesis paper or something. She had books everywhere. There was an elderly gentleman next to me, who told me that he was there to pick up the book for his grandson who was away at camp (sweet of him!).

So I'm sitting there watching an episode of House that I had DLed off iTunes with my earphones in, and this wild-eyed girl walks up and points straight at me.

"YOU! WHAT HOUSE ARE YOU?!?!"

So I take my headphones out and pretended I didn't hear her, hoping she wouldn't repeat the embarrassing performance and said "Sorry?"

"I SAID, 'WHAT HOUSE ARE YOU?!?!'"

"uh.... I don't know."

"BUT YOUR VEST! IT'S BLUE! ARE YOU IN RAVENCLAW? FOR THAT IS MY SECOND FAVORITE HOUSE RIGHT AFTER MINE! CAN YOU GUESS WHAT MINE IS?!"

(and keep in mind, I'm typing in caps because she's literally shouting. Oh, and my vest was TEAL)

"Uh.... hufflepuff?" (she had a yellow tank top and scarf on)

"YES!!!!!!!!" and then gave me a high five and walked off like it had never happened.

The girl next to me looks over and like... she looked like she was going to pee herself laughing. We both noticed at the same time that crazy-girl had her tank top on inside out and sorta stumbled away. I looked over at thesis-girl and asked "WOW! I wonder what the heck she's on!" She laughed and said she didn't know, but she hoped she'd never experience it.

There's always at least one true crazy at these events!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab