Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting ready to move...  (Read 1633 times)

• Liked: 1
Getting ready to move...
« on: November 11, 2002, 09:04:44 PM »
Hi all!  I will be moving to the UK in the spring from Chicago.  I have been to England 3 times now and love it.  I just came across this site today and know that it will help me through the transition!  If you have any tips on moving, I would love to hear them.  We will be moving to Kent.  

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Getting ready to move...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 09:15:11 PM »
Hello Tweir. Welcome to the site.

Is there a specific reason for your move?  job, love, school... or all of the above?...  of course curious minds love to know...

this is a great site with a lot of valuable information from many here whom have made the transition...  I have yet to make my move there...and hopes are to be there for me in late winter.  

Do enjoy and best wishes for your upcoming move.

Michele

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 10:11:10 PM »
I will be moving for love I guess.  My husband is from England, and we met in college over here in the States.  He has been here for over 7 years now.  He misses England terribly.  It is only fair that I try living in England as he has been here for so long.  I cannot wait but am a tad bit nervous....new culture, new job, what, they drive on the left side of the road?!?!, new foods, new holidays, and so on.  Very scary!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 10:37:16 PM »
Hiya Tweir...welcome to UKY.  This site is FULL of info, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful stuff here.  If there is something you dont see but need to know...just ask.  I see you are moving to Kent....I'm in Essex (not far from ya).  I definitely enjoy shopping at Blue Water (one of only two malls in the area).  Have you been there yet?  So, when's your big move gonna be made?  I bet your husband is getting pretty excited.  Anyway...just wanted to welcome ya to the site and wish ya good luck in your adventure.   :)
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 10:45:42 PM »
I have actually been to Bluewater!  We plan on moving next April.  We will probably head down to Florida for a week and then to New York for a weekend before we make our way over.  Nice mini-break before coming over and dealing with the stresses of finding new jobs and a house.  I know we will be living with his parents for a while first in Crowborough, East Sussex(I think that is right).  Nice area, especially Ashdown Forest!!  I am just so excited to be able to have a chance to live in such a beautiful country!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 05:56:42 PM »
Well, Love I do believe is a very good reason...LOL!,  and I too am excited about moving to a beautiful country.

depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 06:06:47 PM »
Michele-

Where are you from in the States and where will you be moving to?  I see in previous posts that you are moving in December?  That is very soon!    ;D

Tracy

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 06:15:50 PM »
Errrrr, as much as I wished...  December has been put on hold...  we are awaiting a divorce to finish before we can get married...  just a small technicality there..LOL

I am in Maryland right now...  I live near annapolis...  and will be moving way way farther up north than you... an area called Northumberland above Newcastle upon tyne and just below east cost of Scotland.

I love it there and I am very home sick to go back.

michele
depths of our soul!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 06:34:53 PM »
Well, I hope your little ;) technicality will rectify itself most speedily (is that even a word? ???)  I know where Newcastle is (as my husband is a Newcastle supporter) so I have some idea where you will be in the country!  Yep, we are supposed to leave at the end of April, but that might become March....You just never know.    
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 06:36:02 PM by tweir »

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 07:01:40 PM »
See, now that is not fair...my time gets delayed and yours gets speeded up...LOL!,

I really hope I am there by my birthday in April...  bad enough we will miss another Christmas together...but at least we have Thanksgiving here this year.
depths of our soul!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2002, 06:40:25 PM »
tweir, where are you moving to in Kent?  I'm in Rochester (the Medway area) and really love it here.  Coming from Florida I'm just relishing all the hills and green land without "For Sale" signs on it!!!   ;D

Be glad to help out however we can - we're a rather friendly lot!  And we kind of know some things, too!!   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2002, 06:53:24 PM »
Hi Peedal!  We will be living in Crowborough, East Sussex for the first few months with my husbands parents until we get jobs straightened out.  I am convinced that it is nearly impossible to get an employer to notice you unless you live in England.  I have sent a few CV's out, but no reply.  After that, we are moving into the Tunbridge Wells, Kent area.  Is that near Rochester?  I know Tonbridge and Sevenoaks are near, but I am not sure of Rochester... But, in England, everything is pretty close.

Gosh, and I can imagine how different things must be from moving from Florida.  I come from the Midwest so there is some green.  Florida grass is like razors.  Crab grass I guess.  Not really too green!  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2002, 07:26:09 PM »
I can get a bus or take the train to Tunbridge Wells - it's not too far.  Been there once, a few weeks back.  And hoping to go back again soon to meet up with another "expat" from another forum.  runner1 is moving to that area later this year - and there are quite a few transplanted Americans in that area.

As far as work is concerned, you really can't even start applying to places legally until you have your Spouse Visa in advance from the Chicago British Consulate or wait until you apply for FLR (further leave to remain) once here in the UK.  If you're "settling" in the UK based on marriage, that's what you'll need to be "legal" to work.  I'm only here on a Fiancee Visa, so I'm playing the role of lady of leisure right now!  

8)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links