Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guy Fawkes Day  (Read 2646 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
Guy Fawkes Day
« on: November 06, 2002, 07:02:11 AM »
Has anyone else been relentlessly bombarded by the sounds of major fireworks the past week? Don't get me wrong--I love them (but you can't SEE them here). Even living in the DC area over the Fourth of July, it's never gone on for days and days. If you could actually SEE any fireworks, it would be one thing. But it's been cloudy and rainy here, nonstop, for a week. All I can surmise is that a handful of teenage Brits are trying to communicate with aliens... :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Guy Fawkes Day
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 11:29:00 AM »
Just about every day this week...and I understand there's more arranged for this weekend too. We get a lot at New Years too.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 11:33:56 AM »
We've had a ton of them here, been going on all week and Jon says we'll get more now that fireworks will be sold cheaper.  ::)

Went out to my first bonfire last night. Had a good time. A pretty impressive display of fireworks. Spent some time at the fair and pub. Was so nice to get out. With Jon working, I stay in all day.
:)

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 04:16:40 PM »
also, apparently it's just been Devali (dunno how it's spelled) which is (I think) a week long Indian festival...traditionally celebrated with lots and lots of fireworks....just to add into the whole noise factor.  ;)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 04:23:43 PM »
I can understand the fireworks, although it is a new thing for me to hear them all week!  But what is with setting them off a 2 in the afternoon!??!  We get them at all hours of the day!  What fun is it to have them in the daylight???  I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong--I love them (but you can't SEE them here).

Oh Suzanne...I know!!!  At home most people let them off in their back or front yards where you can usually see them, but here they hide in small alleys and in their small gardens...you can't even share in the enjoyment of them because you can't see them!!!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 05:40:37 PM »
You know what the worst part of this holiday is? Those little jerk kids lighting off their own firecrackers. Punk 15 year olds who let off a dangerous firework in the middle of a crowd. One went wild and nearly hit a person a few meters in front of me and one kid decided to let off these loud bangers in the middle of the fair. He finally ran off when one of the workers there gave him a good yell at. With all the firework safety ads going on and seeing people nearly hurt with those things frightened me somewhat.

For such an intelligent country, they can be really stupid.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 06:28:47 PM »
I hear yah.  We've been hearing them nonstop here as well.  Even in Salford where we were for a few weeks in OCTOBER we were hearing them nonstop.  Haven't heard any today but Michael tells me that they can go on through Christmas :-/

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 02:46:50 PM »
I just walked my dog to a small neighbourhood park, where we've not been for a couple of weeks.  I was shocked to see that the lovely grass is all blackened, and there is all this debris from fireworks and probably a bonfire.  I normally let my dog run loose there if there are no children about, but i cant now, cos i dont know what sort of sharp objects might be in this mess.  I feel sorry for the people who live at the edge of this park, as now their view is spoilt.
I just want to say F*CK Guy Fawkes Day/weeks, F*CK bonfires and F*CK fireworks.  And the same to the council and/or police who didnt stop anyone wrecking this lovely little park.

Sponsored Links