Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In Memoriam of 9-11  (Read 5313 times)

• Liked: 24
In Memoriam of 9-11
« on: September 05, 2002, 07:45:41 PM »
I mentioned in chat that I had thought of doing a site page in rememberance of the 9-11 disasters, a memorial collection of writings of the families represented here. The response of fellow chatters was encouraging.

I find that coming upon the the anniversary that I am much more emotional about it than I thought I would be, and maybe others would like a worthwhile outlet to vent their grief/frustration/feelings/thoughts, etc. If you have something you'd like to contribute, feel free to post it here, or if it's too long, you can email it to me. If you'd like to remain anonymous, that's fine too, email those, as long as I know who it's from.

I mentioned my 14 year old daughter had written a poem during 9 minutes of silence on 9-14, in her high school back in Iowa, I found that today.

In Rememberance

The date of fallen twins will never be forgotten
The planes struck them on month nine of day eleven
My heart was saddened to hear such news
Now the whole country sings the blues
Not only were we taken aback
For our liberty is under attack
Though I feel that I will cry
I proudly hold my American head high
I'm made stronger by the sorrow
Being prepared for tomorrow
I don't quite know what to expect
Or who again will scar our respect
But we are holding on with great patience
Hoping to unite all nations
Against our evil enemy
The one that struck us ignorantly
Not suspecting us to rise
We did, to their surprise
Standing, scared, but unshaken
We give rememberance for all the lives taken.

This thread is different in that it's more for submission than discussion, but please place your submission in quotes to make it easier to sort from comments.

The plan is to have the page done for the evening of the 10th, or the morning of the 11th at the latest, that's not much time I know.

Also if you have links to any memorial related websites, those would be nice to have as well.

Re: In Memoriam of 9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 11:19:22 PM »
Thats a lovely and elegant poem for a 14 year old to write and I'm sure it echos the sentiment of many people, American or otherwise. I'm sure the anniversary date is gonna cause many people to sit and reflect on the horrors of that day.Nice to see kids be able to speak about it in such a reverant way,you should be quite proud. [smiley=clover2.gif]

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 06:50:52 AM »
I am home this week and have been going through many emotions as many of you can relate.  Since I've been home there is a commercial that has been airing about the grief Americans have been experiencing and how to deal with the one-year mark of 9/11.  I wanted to share the number with all of you.  I know it's a number based out of the states but if you find that you are not dealing well perhaps you may want to just make that call (it's worth it).

I will say a prayer for all of you when I am in the city on the 11th at ground zero.  If there is something I can sign for all on your behalf, I will and I hope you don't mind.  I'll just sign it We Will Not Forget, UK-Yankee...

1-800-LIFENET.....
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 07:46:20 AM »
My boss sent me this e-mail a couple of days after the attack and I have saved it ever since.  I don't know why I saved it probably for lots of reasons.  But one of the main reasons was because a boss is suppose to be your superior, you know -- a boss, someone you work for.  But MY boss was different.  He not only was my boss but he was also my protector that day.  He tried to shelter me that Tuesday and took care of me.  Something I will never forget.  He calmed me and hugged me like I was his daugther when my father just couldn't do it that VERY moment.  Something that I needed because the fear I felt was something I've have never known or experienced before in my entire life.  I know it was not only in my face but was also reflected in my eyes as those tear-drops of horror and fear rolled down my face.  And he saw this.....

So this poem seems to have resurfaced the last couple of weeks. Some of you may have read it, some of you may have not.  But it was something I wanted to post.

In memory of all those who perished; the passengers and the
pilots on the United Air and AA flights, the workers in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and all the innocent bystanders. Our prayers go out to the friends and families of the deceased.

If I knew
If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.

I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
to stop and say "I love you,"
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

I would be there to share your day,
well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.

There will always be another day
to say "I love you," and certainly there's
another chance to say our "Anything I can do?"
But just in case I might be wrong,
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,

That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.
So hold your loved ones close today,
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear

Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 04:36:36 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 07:57:59 AM »
This is a virtual memorial to September 11, 2001.  PLEASE NOTE:  The images and pictures are EXTREMELY POWERFUL AND DESCRIPTIVE!!!!  Butb done very well.  This memorial was created last year by a native New Yorker, Steve Golding who needed to vent his emotions somehow and this is what he came up with.  The music is Only Time by Enya.  You will need some tissues.  It is a 7 MEG file so be patient when downloading it!!!  It's also about 10 minutes.

WE MUST REMEMBER &
WE MUST NEVER FORGET.......

http://www.frugalsites.net/911/splash.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 09:05:08 AM by NYState_of_Mind »

• I love mankind...It's people I can't stand.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 08:51:30 PM »
I haven't said anything about 9/11 when ever the topic has come up, not because I don't care but because I have a hard time typing when I think about it.  I agree with you absolutely Yvonne about "losing your innocence that day".  I always thought I was pretty clued in.   I thought I knew how awful human kind could be.  I never knew anybody could be filled with that much hate.  I never knew anybody could be that cruel.  I guess I really didn't know anything at all, because I also never knew how strong and brave and benevolent people could be on mass.  Even now a year later, there are no words.  Luckily for me anybody who reads this understands what I could never hope to articulate.  Something I can say I felt that many at UKY may relate to (I would never assume anything) is guilt.  I was still in England when it happened and underneath all the shock and horror and revoltion was the feeling that I wasn't there.  My being in America wouldn't have changed a thing, but I still felt guilty.  I should have been there.  I should have comforted my Grandmother.  I should have called my best friend.  Instead I was 8,000 miles away trying to choke down a cup of tea that a friend had made to comfort me.

I wanted to post this poem that somebody e-mailed to me.  I used to carry a copy of it folded in my wallet.  Supposedly it was written by a 14 year old boy as part of a school assignment shortly after the attacks.  He got an A+ on it.

A POEM FOR BIN LADEN

Osama Bin Laden, your time is short;
We'd rather you die, than come to court.
Why are you hiding if it was in God's name?
You're just a punk with a turban; a pathetic shame.

I have a question, about your theory and laws;
"How come you never die for the cause?"
Is it because you're a coward who counts on others?
Well, here in America, we stand by our brothers.

As is usual, you failed in your mission;
If you expected pure chaos, you can keep on wishin'
Americans are now focused and stronger than ever;
Your death has become our next endeavor.

What you tried to kill, doesn't live in our walls;
It's not in buildings or shopping malls.
If all of our structures came crashing down;
It would still be there, safe and sound.

Because pride and courage can't be destroyed;
Even if the towers leave a deep void.
We'll band together and fill the holes
We'll bury our dead and bless their souls.

But then our energy will focus on you;
And you'll feel the wrath of the Red, White and Blue.
So slither and hide like a snake in the grass;
Because America's coming to kick your ass!!!
Friends don't let friends get "Friends" haircuts!

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 12:42:50 PM »
Thank you. I'm going to put this together this afternoon, but I will keep this thread open so that the page can be an ongoing project.

If there is something I can sign for all on your behalf, I will and I hope you don't mind.  I'll just sign it We Will Not Forget, UK-Yankee...

That would be awesome Yvonne, thanks so much.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 05:06:03 PM »
I wasn't planning on thinking about *anything* today, but here I've gone and done it anyway. I wrote this for my website, which I will be updating (hopefully) next week. I thought I'd share:

September 11th in England has been a very strange thing. Up until now I've been able to read articles, I've been able to see pictures, I've sat calmly through news reports, have even flipped through magazine photographs of the people who dove from the buildings before they collapsed - but I can't do it today. Memorials are too much for me today, but maybe tomorrow. Today is an open wound, and I prefer to keep it clean. In the grocery store today I avoided the newspaper aisle completely, so I didn't get my milk. I haven't turned the TV on, and this evening I plan on watching a video with David, who has endless hugs waiting for me. I am here in England, a country which I love, but a country a million miles away from home right now, this day, this second. My love for this country isn't enough to overpower my motherly instinct to my home country, and I want to be on American soil if no other reason to add my heart to the package, to add my flesh to the scene. Instead I do this in spirit, and I show my support and love and respect in silent but powerful ways... but not today. I can't today. Why dig into a wound when you know it will scab over in a day or so and you can play with it all you like at that point. No, today I will paint. Today I will read Bridal magazines that don't mention the twin towers, I will do laundry, I will treat myself by buying strawberries and double cream. Today, I prefer to be numb to the world that I can not influence, I prefer to pretend everyone is happy and everyone is at peace and no one has to die gruesome deaths. There is a silver cup on our windowsill, facing north, where I keep my favorite pens. Today it is a makeshift flag holder, waving my 4 inch American Flag to the tiny world outside to say "Yes I'm American, this is my homage" ...  but that's all I can bring myself to do. I'm comforting myself in little ways, wearing a favorite orange fleece top that makes me look like a big happy carrot. Wearing pearl earrings even though they don't match, because they make me look like a big happy carrot wearing pearl earrings. Today I am writing, I am reconstructing 8 year old poems that need a little maintenance. Dancing to a few of my favorite songs. Because that's just all I can handle. Reach me tomorrow and it will be a different story, but for today I mourn silently and strangely.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 07:11:09 PM »
Hello All,

Today is September 11, 2002...  1 year ago today, America was violated in a way we have never seen...  It was a horror of all horrors through the act of terrorism...  I cried for days and with Tom's help I managed to stop crying...  but not forget.  Terrorism is not new to most of the world as it is to America... it is a horrible act no matter where it happens...  I wish to be a person to stand up against all acts of terrorism...Everywhere!

When I woke up this morning, a moment of silence in my room in the dark found me sending out a prayer not just to America and the lost souls as well as the families whom lost loved ones...  but a prayer from my heart went out to the world.  

I had plans of attending a memorial service here on the base where I work (NASA Greenbelt, MD).  As with my usual morning... I got up at 4am, turned on the news and began to get dressed for my morning walk on base before starting my work day at 7am.  It only took a moment of hearing the news to feel my eyes well up with tears which promised to be an all day feeling with in me...  In a moments decision, I decided that I did not want to spend the day crying...  I couldn't...  I rather not recall that horrible day as I watched it live on the base monitors... That will stay in my memory without having to watch it over and over again on all the news programs of this day...  

Instead I wish to remember all that were lost and their families with my prayers and to see this day through as I would all my days here...  yesterday I feared coming to work today...  being on a gov't base so close to DC.  Today I still fear it, but I will make it through ok...The sense of sadness for the memory of a year ago sits in my heart, it took a long time for me to heal from that day as I am sure it did for most of us... but I did heal and I have slowly learned to live my life again without that forlonging fear around every corner.  

Instead of placing myself back into that state of lost fear...  
I shall listen to music today and I shall be Miss Patriot on this day that the American Legion and many americans have claimed as "Patriots Day".  I am wearing my red, white and blue..and my lapel pin of the american and british flags together...

Everyone has their way of needing to deal with the memories and mourning of losses and tragedies...  However each of you need to express yourselves today, my heart and strength will help support you.  

God Bless America and each and every soul on this earth.
Michele  [smiley=daisy.gif]
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 11:54:04 AM »
I really hesitated to do this, but feel maybe adding my thoughts to this is a good thing.  Even if it is a day or so late.

http://www15.brinkster.com/wishstar/september02/colors.htm

...since I'm entirely too long winded for my own good.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 01:05:02 PM »
Thanks Wishstar, it was very touching. I was glued to the telly as well.

I was not in a frame of mind to work on this yesterday, I'm sorry. I do want to do it though, and will be working at it today.

UKSteve mentioned once that it would be a good thing to find our own 9-11 cause to do a fund for, if anyone has any ideas or knows a group that might have been left out in the disaster funds so far, let us know.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2002, 12:21:31 AM »
Wishstar, that was a really sweet and perfect way to put all your emotions and feelings on yesterday.  Thanks so much for making sure we knew the link for it.

Thank you again, also, for opening your home yesterday - it was so good to be with you guys, and to have others around to talk and be with - it really did help things that day.  :)

Will be calling/emailing soon, but wanted to say thank you again and that it meant a lot to be able to share the day with you. *hugs*

~Christa

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2002, 01:41:08 AM »
Here's a memoire from my diary about the events of the one-year mark and how I spent this sacred day....I normally would never post an excerpt from my diary but felt this was an exception especially for the friends I've have made through this site...

Love, Yvonne.

Yesterday was quite moving to say the least.  I arrived in the station about 7:45 am and made my way to the #4 line.  Casually walking through the station you see the flags that are adorned in the main terminal and how proud it made me feel to be not only an American but also a New Yorker.  

While in the subway one of our "many heroes" was next to me - a fireman.  He noticed my right ring finger and said thank you.  I was a little bewildered because I couldn't understand why he was saying thank you.  Then I looked at my finger - smiling.  (got my nails done last week in red and had an American flag with 9/11 painted on my right ring finger).  I could feel the apprehensive aura of his soul and I noticed the commuters around him didn't know exactly what quite to say and some couldn't even look at him.  I told him I know you probably can't wait until this day is over which broke the ice.  Relief came over his face that I had acknowledged his presence.  I told him we are all with you and that sometimes we just don't know if we should say anything at all because it must be so emotional draining to recall certain events.  I told him some people have heard how tired our heroes are and I guess are afraid to keep on saying thank you or give a quick hug of gratitude.  I told him we as a nation and New Yorkers needed something or someone tangible to perhaps come to grips with our own fears and insecurity.  And the ones who shined the most were our NY Bravest and Finest.  I then went on to tell him how my dad was the chief of our FD back home for many years and how devasted he was that he could not actually go down and physically help "his own brothers" due to medical conditions he has.  If my dad were 10 years younger he would have been there.  I kinda stopped to make sure I wasn't intruding.  He then proceeded to "talk about it" and all I did was listened.  How he has lost his daughter 5 years ago on the 15th and how September is "just too much to deal with now".  My heart completely sank.  I just wanted to take away some pain of his somehow even if it was just for a moment.  I had one of those guardian angel pins draped with an American flag I was wearing.  So I took it off and told him here's a guardian angel to watch over to today and the following days.  His eyes lit up and we both smiled.  Just then the doors parted and so did we.  I said God Bless you.  I never did catch his name but I hope I was able to lessen some of his sorrow and guilt he was bearing.

When I got off of the subway on to Dey Street I some how ended up in front of the police line at Ground Zero.  Found a nook on the street and stayed, watched, prayed, cried and listened to every name until they were done.  The winds were high.  It was a strange feeling.  The dust was kicking up as if the departed souls were among us, right next to us.  The mood was reflective, peaceful and real.  I was looking up in the sky and watching at the cables from some of the flags keeping old glory strong on the buildings.  They were hitting against each other.  But not in a fierce violent way but in a repetitive manner almost like a beating drum.  Just then I heard a familiar accent, which broke this daze I was in.  I turned around and who do I see but some of UK's Bravest among us.  I said hello and said oh, you guys must be native New Yorkers with that accent.  They started laughing and said can you tell?  Some grew up right in the area where Glen and I live and some were from the midlands.

The ceremony ended around 11 am and would resume at 4 pm when our commander-in-chief would arrive.  I felt at peace and thought this was a good time to go home.  So I made my way down to the subway and decided to take a detour to mid-town.  Stopped off at Lexington Avenue and walked up to St. Patrick's Cathedral where I stopped in and lit several candles.  The city was beautiful yesterday.  Park, 5th, & Madison were all draped with the American flag.  Rockefeller Center which normally has flags from every nation around the skating rink was now dressed with only the colors of our nation.

Back at the station the next train was at 3:10 pm.  So I decided to go down to the lower level and get a bite to eat.  There I saw some of our military watching over us.  I thought to myself I wonder if anyone has thanked them today.  So I brought two packages of cookie wrapped up with a bow of red, white and blue.  They were hangin' out with some of our finest and I just didn't want to go over there not give them anything or not acknowledge their presence especially on a day like yesterday.  So I waited until the opportunity presented itself.  Seems like something was going down and a police officer arrived with a German Shepherd (who also was wearing a flag bandanna around his neck) and the other officers quickly went off with the K-9 unit.  Perfect timing.  I went up to the two men in military uniforms and asked them if anyone "HAS THANKED THEM TODAY?"  Well just in case no one has, I wanted to thank you and handed them the goodies.  Thank you mam' (with a strong southern drawl) and I was on my way home.

While watching the 11 o'clock news the New York numbers came on.... Take a guess what the number were?

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56925.htm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2002, 09:44:20 PM by NYState_of_Mind »

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 07:07:28 AM »
mfredericka,

I know exactly where you work. I went to Maryland, used to go to Bennigan's and Jasper's, not to mention the lake there. I've lived there, Beltsville and College Park. Small world.

I think the toughest thing about September 11, as an expat, was not only aching about the devastation, but wishing you were in the States (I'm from D.C.--the Pentagon attack hit me as hard as the WTC one did). To be here on the anniversary brought that same feeling back. In my lifetime, September 11 has been the most significant thing to happen to the States. But I wasn't even in the country to know how everyone there dealt with it, and I don't have American neighbors next door.

One of the nicest things about the date, both this year and last, was the fact that my mother-in-law came by with flowers and a card saying she knew how painful it must be to be an out-of-country American, that she felt for me, my family, and every American citizen, particularly those in Britain, and that justice would be served. Bear in mind that we're not close, generally speaking. But my husband and his parents were as outraged as anyone about it, believe me.

Anyone, enough about that. I just wish everyone would consider the pain and fear of all the people on the four planes, and in the Pentagon (there are MANY people still in hospital care for third- and fourth-degree burns from that, but no one seems to know it), instead of thinking only the people in the WTC suffered.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2002, 07:08:06 AM »
mfredericka,

I know exactly where you work. I went to Maryland, used to go to Bennigan's and Jasper's, not to mention the lake there. I've lived there, Beltsville and College Park. Small world.

I think the toughest thing about September 11, as an expat, was not only aching about the devastation, but wishing you were in the States (I'm from D.C.--the Pentagon attack hit me as hard as the WTC one did). To be here on the anniversary brought that same feeling back. In my lifetime, September 11 has been the most significant thing to happen to the States. But I wasn't even in the country to know how everyone there dealt with it, and I don't have American neighbors next door.

One of the nicest things about the date, both this year and last, was the fact that my mother-in-law came by with flowers and a card saying she knew how painful it must be to be an out-of-country American, that she felt for me, my family, and every American citizen, particularly those in Britain, and that justice would be served. Bear in mind that we're not close, generally speaking. But my husband and his parents were as outraged as anyone about it, believe me.

Anyone, enough about that. I just wish everyone would consider the pain and fear of all the people on the four planes, and in the Pentagon (there are MANY people still in hospital care for third- and fourth-degree burns from that, but no one seems to know it), instead of thinking only the people in the WTC suffered.

Sponsored Links