Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Polite?  (Read 22857 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Polite?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2002, 05:38:33 PM »
Quakers! That's right!
I rinse out the Ziplock Baggies here because you should see how expensive they are at Made in America. Whoa!! Like £7 per box or something like that (bad memory for numbers).
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2002, 05:50:47 PM »

(Food storage is a pretty big deal for LDS/Mormon families, for those of you scratching your heads even more.)  :)

That's because each family has no less than 5 kids.  ;)

I grew up in Salt Lake City, but not mormon. I've got a lot of bad memories involving the LDS church so I'm not the one to talk to about it. You know what they say, "if you don't have anything nice to say...."
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2002, 09:30:05 AM »
I do the food storage thing too, but I was pretty much brought up by my Nan who was around in WW2.  

As for Zip-lock "baggies", they were new in the UK when I left and too expensive for me, but now I'm in the US and they're cheap and everywhere, I use them.  It still seems wasteful to just throw them away, but the washing thing (which my dad used to do in the UK with the non-zip type  :o) is too much for me, so I reuse them as disposal bags for nappies/diapers and smelly kitchen waste.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
I feel the same way Nosey!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 672
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »
My parents grew up in the depression, and a lot of their habits rubbed off on me. I wash out zippy bags - why not? They're still functional. I re-use paper bags unless they are soiled. I save string, I save glass jars with lids.

I also can/preserve food every year - but then, I lived in places many times in my life where we got snowed in for a week at a time. And also times when I was unemployed for longer! Always good to have at least a month's worth of chow preserved and stashed safely away. And at least some of it in a form that doesn't require cooking (or much cooking), in case the power goes out.  ;D

• Liked: 6
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
Huh, weird. I loathe when people say bless you when I sneeze, as achild I was taught that it's rude to draw attention to people's bodily functions. And almost everyone I know here says it. I sneeze a lot too, if I sneeze there's gonna be at least two more coming right away. And I get half a dozen people literally screaming "bless you" at me for every. single. sneeze. I'm so annoyed that apparently I live in the one part of the country where "bless you" is a thing!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 07:00:23 AM »
As the UK contingent of a transatlantic couple, I can restate that we don't really do the "bless you" thing, and it was briefly an annoyance to my wife.

I believe it's an old superstition that a sneeze opens up your body to demonic possession, and the blessing is a admonition to god not to allow the demons inside.

My argument to my wife was if that's the case, then we'd also need a blessing during farts... she found that highly amusing and it became a non-issue.
2019 Priority Settlement Application Timeline

Online application submitted: May 3
Biometrics appointment: May 22
Documents received in New York: May 24
Application received e-mail: June 19
Response to query about timeframe for priority: July 17
Decision made email: August 7
Visa APPROVED: August 13

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »
As the UK contingent of a transatlantic couple, I can restate that we don't really do the "bless you" thing, and it was briefly an annoyance to my wife.

I believe it's an old superstition that a sneeze opens up your body to demonic possession, and the blessing is a admonition to god not to allow the demons inside.

My argument to my wife was if that's the case, then we'd also need a blessing during farts... she found that highly amusing and it became a non-issue.
I wonder if that's a regional thing...where are you located? Asking as I've always had people around me say "bless you" so wondering if it depends on where you're located regionally

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
Yeah, my husband says bless you. Even when I fart (our house is hilarious most of the time)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
When someone at work sneezes, we all shout, "That's one!"  because our running joke is that if you sneeze 3 times, you get to go home sick. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab