Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I passed!! I passed!! I passed!! I passed!!  (Read 79508 times)

• Liked: 4
I passed!! I passed!! I passed!! I passed!!
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
Can I just say thank you to all of you who have answered questions for me and given me support?  I've been so nervous about this, and I needed it for my work, so to pass on the first try has me higher than I can explain.  I was really afraid and then a series of problems on the part of the DSA prior to the test didn't help those nerves.

I passed with only three minors, and the first two were the same stupid mistake (that I did twice) on a steep hill just as I left the driving centre.  It was totally a case of my nerves getting the better of me.  I thought my instructor's car was in first gear and stalled twice before I realized it was in third!  :-[  I still can't believe I did it--I've driven a manual for years and never stall.  Problem was the hill, so I hurried back to the brakes immediately and prayed harder than I have ever prayed that he didn't think the car rolled back. I was the first car waiting for the signal to be green and ended up totally missing the signal, but I guess I still kept the car in control and didn't actually get dangerously in anyone's way, so it was okay.  When I realized what I'd done, I was mortified--absolutely mortified!  He had me turn the corner (onto another hill) and pull over.  I took a moment to collect myself, and started fine on that hill.  He chuckled when I started without the tiniest roll, and said "see, I can do it"" My only other minor was for being a bit squiggly as I finished my parallel park.

I actually managed to keep myself fairly calm (well, except for the exceptionally stupid moments when I couldn't get my car to start on a steep hill  :-[ Those were fighting panic down moments.) But from the moment after the examiner told me I passed I was shaking like a leaf!  It was like all my nerves just let go after waiting all day.  I made my instructor drive me back to my car, and didn't drive off for a while after that (went in a cafe for a coke before leaving).  I'm still actually feeling a bit shaky now.  Has anyone else had this experience?   

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: I passed!! I passed!! I passed!! I passed!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
Congrats!  It's quite an accomplishment from what I've heard.  Do you have to use the parking brake everytime you stop??  I've never used it driving manual here in the US of A.  Never had the need to even on hills.  I've always rolled back a few inches but that's it in an incline.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »
Congrats to you!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
NC73

No, you don't have to apply the parking brake every time you stop. That said, you are taught to apply it when stopping on an incline say at a traffic light etc. If you don't, it's a fail. It teaches you that with effective clutch control the car will not roll back at all and furthermore, is a benefit in the components of the car will last longer - when you roll back a few inches momentum is in that rearward direction, you then bring the clutch up later and so it has to bite harder to firstly slow that momentum down and reverse it into forward direction momentum, clutch plate then is under much more than necessary pressure and thus descreasing it's operative life.

I can't quite remember if in the test scenario, you 'have' to apply the handbrake in a flat road surface waiting at traffic lights though! ( I think you do!)

Best practice your clutch control and hill starts before you get here and take the test!

and Congratulations to Cadenza!  sounds like you should leave the car at home tonight and have something stronger to drink to stop you shakin like a leaf!!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
congrats, cadenza!  Must be such a relief.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »
and Congratulations to Cadenza!  sounds like you should leave the car at home tonight and have something stronger to drink to stop you shakin like a leaf!!

;D  I thought I was going to be working late tonight, but my client cancelled.  :) I wasn't the least disappointed by that.

The nerves were a funny thing.  I was a bit anxious, but when my car stalled, I started to panic.  Then to just have it stall again immediately after . . . you can imagine.  [smiley=dizzy2.gif]  I wouldn't have panicked if it weren't for being on a hill where I could roll so easily when the engine cut out and my foot couldn't be on the brake.  After that I'm amazed I managed to calm down.  I had to say to myself, "if I failed right out of the DSA, there's nothing I can do now, just drive on."  It took a couple minutes for my heart to actually calm down though of course.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
NC73, Dennis had it spot on.  My instructor has worked with lots of American drivers and he had good advice.  He recognized we don't use the handbrake nearly as much as Brits do. He told me not to panic about it b/c they wouldn't fail me for not using it at all junctions as long as it was clear the car was always in my total control. I did need to use it on a hill though and I really ought to use it when stopped at a light because if someone were to hit us from behind, very, very few people will have the presence of mind to keep their foot pressed on the brake.  The shock makes us lift up on the brake and will likely propel us forward.  It was actually the first time that it made sense to me to use the handbrake at a light on a level street.

I only used mine a handful of times during my test and was fine, but I'd work on the habit anyway.  Who knows if you'll get an examiner that is more of a stickler on that.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
Congrats Cadenza. What a relief for you.

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »
Shoot I sold my manual so I can't practice here.  Oh well heading there soon!  Already bought a Renault Laguna for 995pounds.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Congratulations!! :D

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 07:29:36 AM »
Congrats, it feels so good doesn't it?

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
Well done! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »
Hooray!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »
Congrats Cadenza  ;D 

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
Cadenza ya beauty, well done!
I too was shaking like crazy when I was informed of my pass. Its a feeling like no other.
One less thing to worry about  ;D
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

Sponsored Links