Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is rounders really the same as baseball?  (Read 13683 times)

Is rounders really the same as baseball?
« on: November 25, 2002, 08:42:00 PM »
I was wondering if the old idea that base ball was originally an English game that was taken over to the America's and was derived from the age old game of Rounders? Which, let's face it is the same thing.

This also begs the question....How many other games did the English create only to have them taken and changed a little and called different sports in other countries?;)

• What's YaBB 1G - SP1?
  • Liked: 0
Re: Is rounders really the same as baseball?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 02:13:33 AM »
How many other games did the English create only to have them taken and changed a little and called different sports in other countries?

Rugby --> Football
Football --> Soccer
Cricket --> Not Cricket
Prime Minister's Question Time --> WWF Smackdown
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 01:29:59 AM by Major_Billy »

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 11:36:15 AM »

Prime Minister's Question Time --> WWF Smackdown

[smiley=laugh4.gif] Brilliant  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
You're a daisy if you do........

• If I don't surface in 3 minutes,  come get me
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 01:59:19 AM »
Quite coincedentally, it was only this weekend that something ( I can't remember what) caused Pam to tell me about the apparently noble and long respected (in some circles i guess) sport of frog gigging.   Apparently, you go and spear frogs....for food and/or pleasure. (check out frog gigging in any search engine)

I would have liked to have said that thankfully there is no English equivalent that it could have been derived from, and that the eccentric colonials just invented this small scale barbary all on their own.....

....BUT I can't !!

...when of course, we still advocate the ritual of a dozen or two, debauched, purple faced 'living in another world', know nothings, perched on horses, wearing bright red coats, spouting excrutiating 'musical tones' from a piece of old tubing, and screaming yoiks, as they pound their way across the countryside, abley assisted by a pack of inbred , crazed, frenzied hounds , baying for blood, and chasing a fox for miles until it is exhausted, only to have it ripped to shreds by the dogs, and then the entrails smeared across the face of some young boy!

What can I say?

Oh....  in rounders we don't make our girls wear hard hats...that's how tough we are !  ha!  (also we don't like the girls chewing baccy  either ,   that wouldn't be good)

Steve ( Mr Pam/Itsbcoz...u know what I mean)

• What's YaBB 1G - SP1?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 02:29:55 AM »
(check out frog gigging in any search engine)

I wish you hadn't said that:
http://www.nytebyte.com/personal/arkansas.htm

The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip.  On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column...

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 09:49:49 AM »

Disclaimer: I caught the words 'frog gigging' on the '10 recent posts' and had to peek in to share...

I actually went frog gigging. On an airboat in the Everglades. Makeshift flashlight, a la miner's cap, attached to the middle of my forehead (for only around midnight can you catch the little beasties' shiney eyes in the glare of the lamp). Three straigtened fishing hooks attached in a triangle formation at the end of a metal pole (by day it serves as a boat pole).

This was my EXhusband's idea of a fun Saturday night.

His idea of a fun Sunday morning was to watch the little woman prepare and cook up the eats. The task seems easy. Remove legs from the frogs, skin the legs and place them in the pan. Recall in biology what happens when dissecting frogs?

The legs hopped all over the pan. Redneck Florida boy laughs and laughs and laughs.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 11:04:06 AM »
Oh My God.

Lisa I hope the next time someone calls you crazy for leaving Florida you tell that story. ;)

Little frog legs jumping in the pan....eeeeewwwwwwwww [smiley=bleck.gif]
You're a daisy if you do........

• Help - I married a Californian...
    • Moving Stills
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 11:19:37 AM »

Quote:The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip.  On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column...  

ooh - that's a nomination for the Darwin Awards if ever I heard one...
_tim

#traceroute life.liberty.pursuit-of-happiness

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 12:50:23 PM »
roflmao at this entire thread!!!  You lot are just waaay too funny.  And eew, to the froglegs hopping in the pan!  :O
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2002, 11:55:32 PM »
lmao @ the MajorBilly post!

ooh - that's a nomination for the Darwin Awards if ever I heard one...

This reminds me of the guy who went to a fair and bought a lot of balloons, he went home, tied them to his garden chair and went to sleep.  Apparently he didn't take into account that the balloons were filled with helium and it would make his garden chair a new orbital station.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 12:03:14 AM »
This was my EXhusband's idea of a fun Saturday night.

His idea of a fun Sunday morning was to watch the little woman prepare and cook up the eats. The task seems easy. Remove legs from the frogs, skin the legs and place them in the pan. Recall in biology what happens when dissecting frogs?

The legs hopped all over the pan. Redneck Florida boy laughs and laughs and laughs.

I'm assuming that you sited this as evidence as part of your divorce?

Is this particularly odd behaviour, or are all Floridanianians (sorry don't know the correct word for someone who comes from Florida:P) do this?

• When God made man she was only joking.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2003, 01:48:25 PM »
Based on the Florida story, I could give you a few suggestions for what to call people from Florida - but I have enough enemies already  ;D

Sponsored Links