Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Leaving and Re-Entry into UK on tourist visa  (Read 955 times)

• Liked: 0
Leaving and Re-Entry into UK on tourist visa
« on: February 10, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have been in an LDR with my fiance for 2 years.  I live in California and he lives in Northern Ireland. 

I had to leave for the UK on emergency visit because he was in hospital.  I was only there for 4 days (entered January 26th and returned to US Jan 30th) as my employer would not allow me to take anymore days off.

I intend to quit my job and go back there in May and stay there for 2-3 months to be there with him (it's torture being here when he's in serious condition  ). Finances do not allow me to leave earlier. I need to save more money.

When I go back there in May, will I have a new stamp for 6 months starting from May or will the 6 months be counted back to the stamp in January? Is it possible to get an extension if I want to stay longer considering the circumstances?

TIA

• TV geek for hire
    • Mclevey Art
Re: Leaving and Re-Entry into UK on tourist visa
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
You'll get a new stamp.

Be prepared, though. You'll need to bring proof of your intention to go back to the US. Your situation will probably cry out 'potential overstayer' to any IO.
Another shameless promotion for www.mclevey.com, the best place on the internet to buy art.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »
You'll get a new stamp.

Be prepared, though. You'll need to bring proof of your intention to go back to the US. Your situation will probably cry out 'potential overstayer' to any IO.

What sort of documentation will I need to prove my intention to go back? My flight intinerary?

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
Usually the type of things to prove your intention to return includes letters from employers, leases/mortgages and the like. Given your circumstances perhaps to simplify the situation you should apply for a visit visa instead of relying upon the visa waiver programme and perhaps being bounced. Basically you would apply for your visa and show all the proof of your intention to return before you purchase your ticket.

The other thing to consider is that there is talk that the visit time either on the visa or the visa waiver programme will be cut to 3 months (same as a UK citizen visiting the US). I don't know if they have a timeline for this change, but just so you are aware those types of changes can be made much quicker within the UK system than the US.
Terri P O'Neale

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
MAKE SURE you have a return ticket to show.  I think that's the most important.  I was asked about a return ticket, how I would provide for myself while I'm in England, how much money I had in my bank account, where I would be staying, and if i had a job back in the States.  Be very honest and prepared....it can be tough sometimes

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
Essentially what the Immigration Officer is looking for are ties to the US.  They want to see proof that you have to go back.  This is especially true when longer stays and significant others are involved.  Things like, having a job waiting, and a letter stating you have one or proof of a mortgage, etc are strong ties to the States.  Or if you are in school or have a child in the states, that can also be proof.  Also, if you are quitting your job, and are using money from savings, this may prove difficult.  If they think you are spending your life savings when you are here just visiting for a few months, they may think they smell a rat.  If you play it safe, and are honest, and bring some documents showing you intend to leave plus a return plane ticket, you should be fine.  Good luck!   :)

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
Can't I just say that I'm visiting friends for holiday as not to arouse suspicion and not mention my fiance AT ALL?  I can show them my flight intinerary and bank statement, would that be enough?

Our original plan is not to marry and reside in the UK. We both agreed to come to the US and we were going to start the US fiance visa process in May, but now this has been delayed because of his serious physical condition.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:20:36 AM »
Hi, I know this is long and I don't know if it'll help but here's my experience.

Background: I'm 39, have friends in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, got sick of my job and needed a break last year. Friends in Exeter offered to host me for a 6 month stay. I took a leave of absence from my job, cashed out some stock and bought a plane ticket. I took with me a letter from my employer stating that when I returned I would have employment, copies of my current bank statements, copy of my return flight info, front page of my apartment lease (which I subletted while away), and phone numbers of various friends in the UK whom I planned to visit.

The conversation with the IO went generally like this (while he perused my passport):

IO: Hi, what's the purpose of your visit?
Me: Visiting friends and doing some traveling.
IO: How long are you staying?
Me: Staying here for a few weeks, then going to Ireland and later to Germany and Switzerland, then back here. I have copies of my itineraries if you'd like to see them.
IO: I see you were here last August, why was that?
Me: Visiting the same friends for a couple of weeks.
IO: How can you be away from your job for so long?
Me: I have been with the company for over 10 years... they owe me some time away. I have a letter from my employer if you'd like to see it.
IO: How much money do you have access to?
Me: About $5000.
IO: Are you aware that you cannot work while here as a visitor?
Me: Yes, not wanting to work for a while is the main reason I'm here.
IO: Where are you staying while you're here?
Me: With friends in Exeter, also some others in the London area.
IO: Where did you meet them?
Me: Online, a couple of years ago.
IO: Have you met them in person before?
Me: Yes, that's why I was visiting last summer for a couple of weeks.
IO: And when do you plan to return to the US?
Me: In the early autumn. My brother and sister-in-law are due to have a baby in October and my mother will kill me if I'm not there for that. :) I do have my itinerary and ticket receipt printed out if you'd like to see it.
IO: (laughing) Well, based on your travel history, preparedness, and the fact that you don't seem to be the young, irresponsible type we worry about, I'm going to let you in. Have a good visit. (Was he saying I'm old?!  :P  )

He didn't even ask for any of my documentation (other than passport) but I had it all in my hand luggage just in case. I will say, however, that when I came back from traveling mid-summer, the IO gave me the same drill but advised that I shouldn't leave again before it's time to go home. He said, "I am okay with letting you in, but others might question your coming and going so much." I thanked him profusely and moved on along. I left two weeks before my actual 6-month deadline (though technically I had a 3 week cushion from being out of the UK on my side trip).

Hope this helps. I was a little nervous, more so the second time actually, but I had everything I thought they might need printed out and wasn't evasive about anything. I think what helped the most was being completely honest. I knew going into it that they would be concerned about a single American woman wanting to enter the country for six months. But I was confident in my answers because I didn't have anything to hide.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:20:40 AM by AngelaK. »

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »
Thanks so much AngelaK. Great post! Exactly the detailed info I needed
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:57:02 AM by zendadachick »

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »
Have you considered finding out if you can get a visa for compationate grounds due to your partner being ill? or a fiance visa so you can stay for 6 months? and maybe get married towards the end of this it might help you feel more relaxed that you can stay longer if you need to.

I got stopped at heathrow I had my dad and cousin with me and thank goodness my now wife had bought bank statements a copy of her mortgage papers ect ID (photo) and proof she could support me for 6 months if required whilst I was on holiday here and my dad also did the same.

They asked if I new the names of the children how old they were ect, how long we had been together new each other, how many times she had been over to the USA to stay with me if she had met my parents then said thanks to her and that they would be letting me through to join her shortly. They made me sit in a wheelchair that was hurting my back and would not let me transfer to my electric wheelchair like hello were was I going and they were polite but not so nice by doing this as they could see I was in pain after the flight and in the end my dad went and got my chair and helped me into it without their permission.

I was almost crying when they came back to say I could go through with relief, Sonya did not hear the them calling her and they rang her phone and her friend had it and she was waiting at the van cause the lift had broke waiting for the AA, she ran in and told her and she went up to get interviewed by the woman.

So just be prepared and you will be ok.

good luck
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
Zendadachick, I had an experience somewhat similar to AngelaK's.

I am a few years older (age is definitely in your favor--younger single American females are the ones they look out for the most as they are the biggest abusers of the system and try to stay illegally in the UK).  I also made sure I dressed in something nicer than a t-shirt and jeans (but still comfy) so I'd look "responsible".

I had just been to visit him for 3 months (but was never stamped upon entry that time since I had come from the Republic of Ireland) and returned to the US for only 6 weeks and was now entering the UK to visit him for another 6 months.

I, too had just left my job for an indefinite period, (and my apartment) and in a way had no real ties back to the US.  I had no idea how intensely I'd be questioned.  If I had I would have had my boss write a letter that I still had employment once I returned to the US.

When the IO asked me that same question, "How can you be allowed so much time off from your job?"  I replied that I'd been with the company for 14 years.

She asked me loads of questions about my relationship with my boyfriend--how and when we met, where he worked, his birthdate, etc, etc.  She then had me sit and wait while she called my boyfriend who was just waiting outside in arrivals.  She asked him the same questions to make sure his answers matched up and of course they did.

I did have with me the return e-ticket and my bank statements showing that I could support myself during my visit.  She said it was really good that I had them.  In the end she was very polite and apologized for the hold up and let me through. 

Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab