Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Selfridges  (Read 2505 times)

Selfridges
« on: December 01, 2002, 09:24:47 PM »
So we went yesterday to Selfridges while we were out and I must say I was not really that impressed.  I thought Harrods had more than Selfridges in the way of American stuff.  I did, however, find Skippy peanut butter and Aunt Jemima corn bread mix.  Not that I expected them to have a full stock of US goods.  I just thought they'd have a little more than what they did.  Eh. (shrug)

• Liked: 0
Re: Selfridges
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 09:43:40 PM »
Speaking of peanut butter, are there any places that carry Jif? We brought several jars over with us, but it's never to early to seek out new sources, or to make plans for visitors to bring it in their suitcases!

Stephanie

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 08:46:46 AM »
Ordering online might be your surest bet with these UK-based companies when it comes to acquiring Jif:

Cybercandy
http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_indprod?xlc=736

Americatessen
http://www.usda.org.uk/food/uk_companies/Americatessen.html

Yankee Doodle
http://www.yankeedoodleiow.co.uk/shopotherfood.html

USA Spreads and Jellies & Sweet Sauces
http://www.delirosslyn.co.uk/B3C8_usa_spreads_&_jellies.htm

Skyco Online
http://www.skyco.uk.com/products.asp?cat=7

Made in America
They are located near to me; when I was in last week, I noticed Skippy there, but not Jif
http://www.madeinamerica.sageweb.co.uk/foodprods.htm

You may have some luck with some shops in the London area. Try some of these, noted for their stock of American food products:
-- Partridge's just north of Sloane Square
-- Jerry's Home Storein the Bentalls centre in Kingston
-- Harrod's Food Court
-- Fortnum & Mason
-- Selfridges
-- Europa Foods, Notting Hill Gate
-- Harvey Nichols
-- Bluebird in King's Road, Chelsea
(delis serving American-style bagels may sell peanut butter)
-- Rosslyn Hill Deli in Hampstead
-- Grodzinski's in Stamford Hill
-- Panzer's Deli in St. John's Wood
-- Bagel Bakery either at:
Finsbury Park or on the Seven Sisters Road by the 91 bus stop or 394 Edgware Road

Aberdeen's Global Shopping Basket
See Kelly of Cults near the bottom; I just thought the site was interesting
http://www.incnetwork.demon.co.uk/factfile/abzshop.htm

Pointless facts I found during the web search
-- The Jif plant in Lexington Kentucjy is reportedly the largest peanut butter factory in the world.
-- Jif is a very popular theme/thread in "Yo Momma" jokes.

A not so pointless fact
P&G has recently announced it will sell the Jif and Crisco brands in a bid to get rid of under-performing brands. P&G and J.M. Smucker Co., which makes a wide variety of jams, jellies and other foods, is acquiring the Jif peanut butter and Crisco cooking oil brands from P&G for $1 billion in stock.

This might be good news because P&G exports only a smattering of their procuts here. Except...

Smuckers has an online ordering system, but currently it does not ship overseas, and I have yet to find Smuckers products sold generally here in the shops.
Q. Where can I ship my order?
A.
Currently, we can ship your order anywhere in the United States including Alaska and Hawaii. We cannot deliver to PO boxes or foreign addresses.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 06:32:17 PM »

-- Jerry's Home Storein the Bentalls centre in Kingston.

Sorry, Jerry's Home Store  in Kinsgston is now gone.  :(  Don't know about the one in Bluewater.

LisaE, you are a wealth of information! :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 07:29:59 PM »
LisaE, you are a wealth of information! :)

No no no...It's the Internet.
What does one do when it's too early to wake up and too late to go back to bed? Bless the Internet.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 09:06:23 PM »
Ordering online might be your surest bet with these UK-based companies when it comes to acquiring Jif:

You may have some luck with some shops in the London area. Try some of these, noted for their stock of American food products:
-- Partridge's just north of Sloane Square
-- Jerry's Home Storein the Bentalls centre in Kingston
-- Harrod's Food Court
-- Fortnum & Mason
-- Selfridges

Have to say I didn't see any Jif at Selfridges unless they have another store somewhere in London I may have missed.  Skippy was the only American brand they had.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 07:48:32 PM »
Elle,

I've found Jif here in London at some of the Kosher Jewish shops in Golders Green.  The Country Market on Golders Green road always has it...even extra super crunchy...mmmmm!  (Mind, you'll pay for it out the wazoo, but if you're desperate, it is there!)

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 12:49:38 AM »
Speaking of Selfridges, went there the other day to look for tinned pumpkin (didn't do it for Thanksgiving, so am wanting to get in gear for Christmas that much more  ;D ), and they were all out!!  Will be hitting Harrod's this weekend, but just in case anyone else is looking...you may want to call Selfridges before going all the way there.

Am also going to be getting the family recipes for corn spoon bread, fruit pizza, and sugar cookies (unless anyone knows of where to get ready made sugar cookie dough?).  

*all this food talk is getting me hungry!  :P*
~Christa

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 05:12:02 PM »
For those who can't survive without pumpkin pie - I had given up on finding the canned stuff and started with a pumpkin, which was much easier to find.  Just cut it in four, scoop out the messy bits and seeds (which are sooo good freshly toasted in the oven!) and bake or steam it.  It gives you exactly what you would find in the Libby's can.  Not as easy, granted, but it works when you can't find the canned goods!
I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message . . .

Sponsored Links