Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ItsBcoz Peedal and anyone else...  (Read 1903 times)

ItsBcoz Peedal and anyone else...
« on: December 02, 2002, 12:26:39 AM »
How old are your kids? And how did they feel about the move?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: ItsBcoz Peedal and anyone else...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 12:51:47 PM »
Mine were 8 (he just turned 9 two weeks ago!) and 14.  They were both happy about it, except for being sad about leaving their grandmother.  But they call her 3x a week and she mails stuff every week for them, so that part has been as easy as it possibly could.

The little one got into school about 3 weeks after we moved and has acclimated right away.  Loves it.  Was BMOC right off the bat.  His teacher is terrific - couldn't have asked for a better one here OR in the States.

Because of serious "over-subscribing" in the Secondary schools, my older one just started school today ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D) after being home for 3 months - and out of school since the end of May!  I have no doubts he's going to do fine.

Both boys are in the Scouts program here and have both made fast friends there, too.

The younger one was more anxious to move (in a good way).  We came for a visit in May and he wanted me to enrol him in school right then!!  And from the time we got back till we actually moved it was "When are we going?" every day!  The older one was a little more nervous about it.

But I think what made it exciting for them and something they really looked forward to instead of dreaded was the fact that they love Phil as much as I do and they know how happy he makes me and that we would all be a family together.

That enough of an answer?  Sorry I went on so - but I know I'm very lucky that my kids (1) love Phil, much less like him; (2) wanted to move *almost* as much as I did; and (3) have had such a smooth settling-in (except getting the older one in school  ::)  ).

Pam - your turn...!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 01:55:42 PM »
I have an almost 5 year old, and he was very excited about moving, but I still don't know how much he understands about moving to "England".  For all he knows, we could have just moved to another state, and we have to get on an airplane to go see the grandparents, which isn't any different from when we lived in Minnesota, except that the plane rides will be much longer now.  

He got settled into school right after the half-term break and absolutely loves it.  He's made friends and is happy every day about his life.  I think that when kids are younger they figure "Well, if Mom & Dad say things are OK, then they are OK!"  

The only thing that is backfiring a bit on us is that to get him excited about moving to England we told him that Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, and Robin Hood all live in England.  Now he wants to know when we are going to go visit them. ;)  

So, that's my experience.

Stephanie

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 08:32:38 PM »
well lets see....currently the kids are 10, 8 and 7.  we've been living here for a lil over a year now and i believe they have adjusted wonderfully.  

the 10yr old and 7yr old has had no problems with adjusting to the UK education.  but our middle child has been struggling a bit in her school work, but thats only bkz i held her back in kindergarten, and with the schools here being a year ahead of the US education, she is technically 2yrs behind on education due to the move...she gets extra help at home and school....and they feel she will eventually catch up.  all three have made lots of friends.  the girls are involved in scouts and our son is involved in football.  

when i decided to move to england....i did not give the children an opportunity to visit first, maybe that was wrong of me, but i personally felt that bkz they were young,  it would be hard for them to come and see and have an opinion (major decision)...whether good or bad.  dunno maybe it was just me worrying that they wouldnt like it here and not wanna make the move.....then i would have been torn between  starting a new life in england with steve or staying in alabama just to make the kids happy.  i knew kids being kids...they would adjust...kids adjust better then adults do really...i definitely know this first hand now, lol.  i havent seen any signs of homesickness from them.  but i still have it atleast once or twice a month.  like pedal...the kids have unlimited access to everyone back in the States, so i think bkz of that ...they dont seem to miss everyone as much.  

a bit much...but i hope i was able to answer the question you asked dani.   :)
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 09:40:30 PM »
Yes, all of your answers put a smile on my face. My son will be 5 in feb. and I figure by the time we move to the UK he will be about 6 or7.

Now to really get nosey....did any of you have to get full custody of your kids? Did the father's make it difficult for you? Do you plan on sending your kids to visit their US dads?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 11:39:05 PM »
I'll go first on this one again!

I have full and complete custody of both boys.  My name is the only name on their birth certificates.  The only visits they will be making to the States will be to their Grandmother.   :)  Neither of their fathers even knows they're out of the country... :o
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 02:37:50 AM »
[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Man, I wish I had it that easy! My son's father is a bit of a penis. He's late or flakes on all of his visitation days, but just to spite me, he's going to make this move very difficult.

Oh, by the way. My UK honey is opening a clothing store in Brighton. It's opening sometime next week, if you like cool urban clothing, check it out!!! :) It's called Eclectic Threads  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://www.eclecticthreads.co.uk/

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 12:42:12 AM »
My son's father sounds like your son's father's clone. After a happy and very compromising agreement after we waved at the door, Florida Penis did a complete turn-around and now I am going through court battles. It's been five years since the move and I haven't been able to iron out visitation yet. I'd recommend you get a good lawyer and try to sort as much out as you possibly can before you head over. And get everything in writing. Take notes of everything, all the times he's late, etc. This is a man who wanted me to get an abortion because he didn't want children.  :-/
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 08:01:30 AM »
I actually have a nice big fat note book of notes of his dad's tardiness and mishaps. And I'm going to go see a lawyer in about a month or two. I don't want to under estimate my son's father, but I just don't believe he's going to make it easy for us to leave. And as far as getting it in writing, my boss use to be a lawyer and said he could write up an agreement for me if he does agree to the terms.

I get anxiety just thinking about it...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2003, 08:02:32 AM by danidean14 »

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 06:27:13 PM »
Anybody mind if I ask a question from the other side of the coin?

I have an 8-year old stepdaughter and her Mother is an absolute wretch of a human being.  She moves visitation dates on us at the last minute, (she also moves...a lot.  They are moving to the other side of the country soon), she doesn't send pictures, report cards, etc., she never has sd call,  she makes comments like "When you two get divorced, I hope you will.." stuff like that. ::)

How does enforcement work?  What if anything, would we be able to do if she refused visitation outright (something she has threatened with before)?  Would we need to be back in the States to do anything?

Sponsored Links