Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flew to London Specifically for Life in UK Test  (Read 953 times)

• Liked: 0
Flew to London Specifically for Life in UK Test
« on: March 01, 2008, 04:20:38 AM »
Well, I did it!  I flew to the UK today to take my KOL and passed!

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from the IO since I was only flying in for the day to take an immigration test.  But the IO wasn't concerned at all.  When she asked me the length of my stay, I told her I was only there for the afternoon.  She then asked why and I explained I was there for the KOL test.  She asked if my husband was British, then asked why I would fly over for the test instead of getting the spousal visa first and just take the test once I was settled in the UK.  So I explained how this way saved me much more money because I was only applying for one visa, opposed to two, and I'm flying non-rev so I'm not paying much for the flight.  She told me it sounded like a good plan to her and stamped me in with a 6 month visa.  Incidentally, on the UK landing card, I put down the address for the Kensington Library, where my test was held, for my address while in the UK! 

The test itself was an absolute breeze and I finished in three minutes flat.  Feeling I may have finished a little too quickly, I rechecked my answers twice and that was still only another five minutes.  Once you finished testing, you were asked to wait outside the testing room for your score.  I know I got 100% because I studied like a madwoman and know that book forwards and backwards.  There was no way I was going to fly all that way to London only to fail the test. 

Anyway, I spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out in the lovely Kensington Library browsing through some books, then I did some window shopping on Kensington High Street before making my way to Heathrow for the evening flight back to Philly.  I'm back at home now, and although I'm exhausted, I'm way too pumped up to go to sleep so I thought I'd share my experience with you all!

P.S.
It's too weird that it was only yesterday (Thursday), I woke up in my own bed and spent the afternoon doing laundry.  Then this morning, I was taking a citizenship test and hanging out in London, and now, hours later, I'm back at my house sitting on my couch.  Crazy. 

Re: Flew to London Specifically for Life in UK Test
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »
That's really great, congratulations! And a good thing the IO didn't give you any trouble, but I wouldn't suspect they would.

And yes, that is very strange to think about! That is a lot of distance for one day. And just think ages ago before we had planes and just had ships... I can't even imagine. And none of us would even be worrying about it, haha.

Anyway, congrats again!

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »
Congrats your very crazy but at least you did it and thats great, bet will be tired tonight.

Have a good one, shame you could not stay overnight to do some shopping but London is so expensive, maybe just some pics instead cheaper.  ;D Congrats again.
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »
Congrats! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Well done.

Did the guys at the test centre as for any evidence that you were in the UK legally?

Vicky

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
Congrats  ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »
Thanks all,

No Vicky, no one asked for any evidence that I was settled in the UK.  I was a little worried about that too.  But all they cared about was my ID.  I had to show them my passport at four different times throughout the testing.  First, when I paid the fee and signed my name on a sheet that had everyone listed who was scheduled for the exam that day.  Then once I was assigned a computer, I had to show my passport again when they signed me into the computer.  Then they wanted to see my passport again when they signed me in for the practice test.  Then I had to show my passport yet again to get my test results.  Seemed like overkill, especially since there was only the guy taking the payment and a girl signing people into the computers.  It's not like any of us could've switched identities in front of their very eyes, but I guess you have to take precautions no matter what these days. 
As I was being signed into the computer, the lady asked the purpose of my exam, citizenship or indefinite leave to remain - and in my case it was indefinite leave to enter, so I said "indefinite leave", but the options on the computer screen said citizenship or settlement, so the lady was just making an assumption that I was already resident in the UK.  So she clicked settlement for me.  She asked me if the home office gave me a reference number, and I said no.  She asked everyone else this too, and only one other person had a reference.  I don't even know what that was about.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »
I only had to get my passport out once and that was it, they also asked me if I had a ref number from the home office I said I did not.

Indy

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Indy, it would've been really nice to make a weekend trip out of it all, but then that would mean bringing along my two year old - which I most certainly did not want to do.  My husband couldn't get any time off work, so I would've had to travel alone with my daughter and she is a complete terror on the plane.  Also, I made a conscious decision not to shop at all because the whole point was to make this trip as cheap as possible.  All in all, I spent about $150, including airfare, cost of test, lots of coffee, lunch, and topping up my Oyster card for the underground.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
and I'm flying non-rev so I'm not paying much for the flight.  

Firstly, congratulations! That's excellent news.

But what does non-rev mean? And how did you get your flight so cheap?

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »

The time of year I am guessing Sonya got a flight for £100 with tax on top when she flew out to Boston this time of year with Virgin.

I can understand the not bringing your 2 year old Sonya did it when she flew out to me when I was in the USA, she said she walked most of the way with him because he would not sit still.

Indy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
Sevans,

Non-rev means non-revenue.  I work for BA and don't have to pay much for my flights with them, or any other airline for that matter.  I have to fly standby, but this time of year that isn't a problem.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
Ah! I see! That certainly makes things easy for you.  :)

Best wishes and best of luck with your visa!

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »
Wow, fantastic news for other people looking to do the same!!  Thanks for sharing :)
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

Sponsored Links