Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitor Visa while Waiting on Work Permit  (Read 3032 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Visitor Visa while Waiting on Work Permit
« on: December 02, 2002, 08:16:02 PM »
I'm waiting on my HR dept. to get my work permit as I'm transferring in my job in the US to the UK (I work for a UK based company).  My transfer has been approved by my director who is working with HR to get my work permit.  The wheels of HR can move very slowly in this company and I'm moving over there in two weeks to join my fiance  (I can still retain a US address but will be living with my fiance in the UK)!!  The way I've read it on the British Consulate website, I can conduct overseas business while in the UK on visitors visa but cannot work (I read this as I'd be allowed to keep doing my job but couldn't take UK work.  I"d still be paid in the US by the US accounts payable dept.).  Does anyone know if this would allow me to be able to move over there, keep working while waiting for my work permit to go through?  I don't want to have to wait until the work permit has gone through to join up with my fiance

Also, if the above is not do-able, how long could I stay just on my passport?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 08:19:29 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Liked: 1
Re: Visitor Visa while Waiting on Work Permit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 05:44:57 PM »
The way I've read it on the British Consulate website, I can conduct overseas business while in the UK on visitors visa but cannot work

There are certain specific types of business you're allowed to conduct while you're here on a visitor visa. http://194.203.40.90/default.asp?pageID=136.

(I read this as I'd be allowed to keep doing my job but couldn't take UK work.  I"d still be paid in the US by the US accounts payable dept.).  Does anyone know if this would allow me to be able to move over there, keep working while waiting for my work permit to go through?

Strictly speaking, no. You need a work permit for that. Could you work anyway and get away with it? Quite possibly, but it wouldn't be legal.

Also, if the above is not do-able, how long could I stay just on my passport?

Six months per visit, and staying for more than six months in a year is frowned upon.

Once you're married it'll be a lot easier; you'll be able to get a spouse visa and won't need a work permit.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 04:12:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. Wisner.  From what my boss tells me, the work visa should be completed soon.  I'm moving over next week but will need to come back in mid-January to get my work visa (I guess I have to be in the US to get it).  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no red tape causes any delays!
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 02:35:56 PM »
I'm moving over next week but will need to come back in mid-January to get my work visa (I guess I have to be in the US to get it).

Well, then, repeat after me: I'm here on vacation. I'm here on vacation. I'm here on vacation. I'm here on vacation.

If you give the immigration inspector any inkling that you're anything other than just another American tourist you're asking for hassle. You're coming over to visit and staying with a dear, close friend for a month. You're going back to America in mid-January. Nothing untrue in there, right? You're *certainly* not going to actually do any work while you're here, right?

Sponsored Links