Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Homesick and Lonely  (Read 11448 times)

Re: Homesick and Lonely
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2002, 02:26:22 PM »
We had a ton of built-in storage (bookshelves, etc.) in our old house, and here I don't even have a bookshelf, so all my books, files, and craft supplies are sitting in boxes on the office floor.

I hate that is is so hard to find what I consider simple things like unscented votive candles!

What you need, missy, is a trip to IKEA.   ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2002, 07:08:44 PM »
Oh, yes.  IKEA is very good - but be warned, a complete zoo on the weekends!  

If you want any dog therapy, mine are always available - guaranteed to cheer up any dog person.  Granted, not the same as your own, but in a pinch . . .

Homesickness hit me hard, too, right before Thanksgiving.  It's reassuring to hear that its seasonal!  
I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message . . .

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2002, 02:51:03 AM »

Frank, buddy,

Yes, buddette? [smiley=inquisitive.gif]

I have to let you in on a little secret. It's not the 'exploring London with another Yankee girl' that made them so happy, it's the having another American woman to plot with that made them both grin.

[smiley=speechless.gif]

We're just more dangerous in pairs...happier yes....but more dangerous, certainly.  ;) Cinnabon is probably code for something...you might want to find their secret manuals ASAP.
Trust me on this one..... [smiley=devilish.gif]
Red

Yes you are indeed correct.  I shall never trust another woman ever on this recommendation  [smiley=goofy.gif] Goes off to find all the manuals on the female psychi he can find....

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2002, 12:09:24 PM »

What you need, missy, is a trip to IKEA.   ;)

Probably!  Just haven't made it up there, yet.

Bret did find some shelving stuff at B&Q yesterday that he thinks will be OK.

Stephanie

IKEA question?
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2002, 01:43:15 PM »
Ok,question here? Where is IKEA located? Please tell me more about this place. Thanks.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: IKEA question?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2002, 01:53:04 PM »
Ok,question here? Where is IKEA located? Please tell me more about this place. Thanks.

http://www.ikea.co.uk

Re: IKEA question?
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2002, 02:52:26 AM »

Unfortunately in the UK there aren't that many Ikea stores as has been found out to some great irritation!  And if memory serves me right there are only 2 around the London area!  Lakeside and I'm not sure about the other.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2002, 06:30:40 AM »
Croydon. :)

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2002, 11:47:53 AM »
Actually, there is one in north London, up by me, too.

It's is near Wembley Arena.  I've only been once, and I went on a Thursday morning so it wasn't too bad at all.  

Lots of fun, but bring a strong friend along to carry all your goodies back with ya.  :)

Ikea
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2002, 06:47:32 PM »
Croydon. :)

Actually, there is one in north London, up by me, too.

Thank you ladies :)

Cool there you go!  Three Ikea branches and they're all non centralised in the London area, all just outside really.  One south east; Lakeside. Another south; Croydon. And lastly one North near Wembley.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 06:48:59 PM by Nefandous »

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2002, 11:49:54 AM »
Okay and if worse comes to worse and the stress of having no shelving becomes to much and the thought of tracking down Ikea doesn't have you doing flip flops may I strongly suggest

http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.html

Their bath ballistics will cure anything....I promise you. Try the brandy butter...meow

You're a daisy if you do........

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2002, 11:13:43 PM »
Hello Stephanie,
I am from Minnesota as well--Apple Valley.  My husband is a UK citizen who I met in Minnesota 5 years.  We just moved here in August, and I've been homesick and sad as well.  
Things that we viewed as necessities in the US are more like luxuries here, like tumble dryers, dishwashers, etc.  
My career/job experience in the US seems to mean nothing here, and all I can find are part-time positions paying a fraction of what I made in the US, where the majority of my co-workers are at least ten years younger than I am, right out of school.  
It's been difficult to communicate, as people don't seem to understand my accent.  Also, people seem to have a preconceived notion that all Americans are loud, brash and rude, where I am somewhat quite and definately not rude.  
It's definately been a culture shock, as I have always dreamed of visiting the UK, and now that I am here, nothing is as I imagined it would be.  I guess I'm lonely like you, missing my friends and family, and struggling to do day to day things like driving, and finding familar brands in the grocery store.  It's also a little unsettling that everytime I open my mouth and people hear my accent there's a reaction.
I have a 1 year old named Rhys who has made things better.  My husband has been doing his best to make my adjustment easier as well, but I'm hoping this website and finding people like myself, and people who can offer me tips about fitting in, can help.
Thanks for listening and for sharing your frustrations as well.
Judy

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2002, 05:30:22 AM »
Hi there!

It's ok to be homesick...  :Dwhen I am away at college (returning on the 18th of January) I don't see my family or beloved pets for months at a time.

If it means anything, when you start feel homesick or lonely think of all those people. Wiether they are asylum seekers or just foreign nationals like myself who wish they had the opportunity to reside in the UK and remember how very lucky you are.

happy holidays!

Samantha***

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2002, 06:00:42 PM »
Okay and if worse comes to worse and the stress of having no shelving becomes to much and the thought of tracking down Ikea doesn't have you doing flip flops may I strongly suggest

http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.html

Their bath ballistics will cure anything....I promise you. Try the brandy butter...meow

I wandered into the LUSH store in Guildford a few weeks ago while I was out doing a bit of Christmas shopping.  Wanted to find something nice yet inexpensive for teacher gifts.  Thought about the Body Shop, but decided to try something different (for me, there is a Body Shop in every single mall in Minneapolis, been there, done that!)  So, hmmm, here's a store called LUSH, didn't Red mention something about that store on the UK-Y forum?  Check it out...

WOW!  I was like a kid in a candy store!  Spent ages just looking and smelling everything.  Decided to get a Snowman shaped bubble bath thing for each of Cole's teachers, plus one for me to try, then walked away drooling.

That evening after having my bubble bath, I dropped several very heavy hints to dh about what would be a good place to shop for Christmas gifts for me.  It worked -- I got a great big lot of bath ballistics and bubble bath bars and soaps.  Tried one out that very morning -- BLISS!  I love it so much that I went again this morning and spent some of my birthday money on more stuff.  I've now got a basket crammed full of yummy bath stuff.  Whenever I'm feeling a bit down, I know I can just take a nice, yummy, relaxing LUSH bath and I'll feel better.

So, thanks for the tip Red!  I now have a new addiction and I never would have found out about LUSH stuff if I hadn't moved to the UK. :D

Cheers,
Stephanie

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2002, 11:17:33 PM »
Lush is the best!
They only make that Snowcake soap at Christmas time, so i always stock up on it.

Sponsored Links