Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Having lived here a long time - LOVE IT!!  (Read 4812 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Having lived here a long time - LOVE IT!!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2003, 06:05:46 PM »
Lisa E, Mindy and Badger, thank-you so much for sharing your experiences with me, it really gives me a better idea about life there. We have never been very materialistic people so not having all the gadgets and trinkets wouldn't bother us in the slightest     but one question I do have if anynoe can help answer is that here in America I have been so fortunate to be able to stay home with our young child and am hoping to until she is school age. My husband is and engineer here in the USA, would it be possible for us to survive on his income in the UK so I am able to still stay home with my child.                    Thank-you    
                                                  Cad

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2003, 06:28:53 PM »
Lisa E, Mindy and Badger, thank-you so much for sharing your experiences with me, it really gives me a better idea about life there. We have never been very materialistic people so not having all the gadgets and trinkets wouldn't bother us in the slightest     but one question I do have if anynoe can help answer is that here in America I have been so fortunate to be able to stay home with our young child and am hoping to until she is school age. My husband is and engineer here in the USA, would it be possible for us to survive on his income in the UK so I am able to still stay home with my child.                    Thank-you    
                                                  Cad

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2003, 06:36:07 PM »

Sorry, forgot to add my text!  An hour and a half of listening to 2 5 yr old boys playing 'Action Man' will do that to you. :P

It seems that quite a few of the mums at Cole's school (Infant school, preschool (3-4) through Year 2) stay home, at least part of the time.  I wouldn't call our village an especially affluent area, there is a large section of council houses right behind the school where a lot of the pupils live.  So, I don't think you have to be making a huge salary to be able to live on one income.  Just like in the US, it depends a lot on the choices you make.  I stay at home (have since Cole was born) and am very glad that I am able to do so in the UK too.  I have been able to get involved with Cole's school, and have met many people that way.  

Good luck!

Stephanie

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 08:48:53 PM »
Hi Stephanie thanks for the info, can you tell me are there many things for children to do? For instance we have a club here where I can take my daughter swimmimg, or to play basketball, or if I want to go exercise myself they have a wonderful nuresey where they look after her. What type of lessons do they have available for children. I have heard that UK schooling is excellent,and have always thought how fortunate my daughter would be to experience such an education.How long is the school year?
                                         Thanks
                                            Cad

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2003, 06:19:49 PM »
Most towns have swimming pools and do lessons for kids. I know also our local shopping centre (mall) have a kids playroom where they can play while you shop. We have the usual amenities such as bowling alleys, cinemas.
The school year is divided into 3 terms. Summer (beginning Sept until Xmas, Jan to Easter, and Easter to mid July.) Time off is 2 weeks for Xmas and Easter and 6 weeks for summer. Each term the kids have a half term holiday midway between the longer holidays, of one week. Most schools have after school clubs too.

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2003, 04:42:24 PM »
I have wanted to move to England since I was sixteen. Now I am twenty nine and quite carefully saving my pennies to make a move over there. I can at least survive a year or so if I don't find a job and if I have to come back, I'll just save again and go. I don't know if I can explain it, but it's as if I belong there. I have only been once, but it was enough to make me feel as if I were home. My family immigrated from England early on, in the 1600's and my Scottish side was there until 1800's. I often wonder, if my Scottish side had stayed, two more generations, I could probably immigrate with no problems. If only life were this easy? LOL Thanks for the story. I look forward to moving as well.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2003, 08:52:28 AM »
My family immigrated from England early on, in the 1600's and my Scottish side was there until 1800's. I often wonder, if my Scottish side had stayed, two more generations, I could probably immigrate with no problems.

Both sides of my family are Scottish, English and Welsh by decent, and my Dad's dad was actually British. I actually thought the same thing as you, like wouldn't everything be so much easier if my own Dad was British?  ;D I have always been really into everything British myself. I tried living in England for a year, but I realised that visiting it once or twice is a WHOLE lot different than actually living there. But whether you end up staying there or not, you'll love the experience. :)

Sponsored Links